ADVERTISEMENT

Best Player in 2A - Maxx Philpott - Glenvar

Shabutie

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2006
This kid is one of the most dominant defensive tackles I have seen at the high school level. I believe he finished one vote short of being defensive player of the year last year to Scruggs from Appomattox after beating him out for regional DPOY and he is having an even bigger season this year.

He makes teams completely change their game plan every week to try to block him. I have seen regular triple teams and quadruple teams just to try to slow him down. Shoot, he is so quick that some teams have even triple teamed him when he is on the backside of a play. Despite all of the that he still has well over 30 TFL on the season.

This just my opinion and I haven't seen every player in 2A, but I have seen a quite a few.

Ive watched a lot of Philpott’s videos. He’s great, basically unblockable.

Cameron Allen from graham is ranked the #18 player in Virginia (2019 class) by rivals which is the highest from 2A.

I have to agree. Philpott is best I’ve seen and can’t believe he hasn’t had D1 offers. I’ve heard it’s his height but man he’s a beast on the field. Best in my opinion

I watched him play twice against Galax and Carroll county. He definetly has the size He had some plays that he made running down the line that was impressive. Although the way undersized Galax lineman was giving him fits. To the point where he was getting frustrated. I don't know as to it was the first game and not in the best shape yet, but it looked like he took the play off on a couple times. There was one play as to where the double team of Galax drove him 10 yards off the ball. If you get a chance watch the film.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
I watched him play twice against Galax and Carroll county. He definetly has the size He had some plays that he made running down the line that was impressive. Although the way undersized Galax lineman was giving him fits. To the point where he was getting frustrated. I don't know as to it was the first game and not in the best shape yet, but it looked like he took the play off on a couple times. There was one play as to where the double team of Galax drove him 10 yards off the ball. If you get a chance watch the film.
That was the first game of the season and he just didn't have the stamina to be playing full-time both ways and go hard every snap. The only time Galax could block him is when they doubled him when he was completely gassed. He has since cleaned up his eating and is in way better shape. The last few weeks games he has been running through triple and quadruple teams regularly.

Even with the aforementioned issues at Galax, he still had some huge plays.

I have to agree. Philpott is best I’ve seen and can’t believe he hasn’t had D1 offers. I’ve heard it’s his height but man he’s a beast on the field. Best in my opinion
I had heard he had an offer from Georgia Tech. Yes, he was gassed against Galax when he was they would get under his pads and he would take that play off. Hey I am a big guy as well and I took as many plays off as possible Lol

Nice to see Maxx getting the respect he deserves. Most D1 schools ignore what Maxx's greatest strengths are otherwise he would have plenty of offers in D1. His use of leverage and a great ability to power through the line by keeping hips lower than his opponents is better than any high school player I have seen in a long time. This comes from his training as a wrestler where he was 1st at #285 his sophomore year and 2nd to a beast of a man last year at 2A. IMO football coaches would be well served by encouraging all linemen and all linebackers to wrestle. It makes for much better fball players and they gain far more in those 3 months than they would gain by just weight lifting programs. Jack Leonard, 1st team all state last year at Glenvar, wrestled also and a couple of others at Glenvar wrestle and I believe both will emerge as stars next year and the next. .

Reactions: VaTech98 and Bo Bob
Nice to see Maxx getting the respect he deserves. Most D1 schools ignore what Maxx's greatest strengths are otherwise he would have plenty of offers in D1. His use of leverage and a great ability to power through the line by keeping hips lower than his opponents is better than any high school player I have seen in a long time. This comes from his training as a wrestler where he was 1st at #285 his sophomore year and 2nd to a beast of a man last year at 2A. IMO football coaches would be well served by encouraging all linemen and all linebackers to wrestle. It makes for much better fball players and they gain far more in those 3 months than they would gain by just weight lifting programs. Jack Leonard, 1st team all state last year at Glenvar, wrestled also and a couple of others at Glenvar wrestle and I believe both will emerge as stars next year and the next. .
Wrestling helps tremendously with their flexability. That is a huge factor for D lineman.

The crazy part is that he won a state championship his sophomore year and that was literally his first year ever wrestling. He beat everyone without even really knowing technique or many specific moves.

Here are his mid-season highlights from this year. I should have posted this earlier.

Ive watched a lot of Philpott’s videos. He’s great, basically unblockable.

Cameron Allen from graham is ranked the #18 player in Virginia (2019 class) by rivals which is the highest from 2A.

After watching the Richlands game, I have a hard time believing he isn't the best of 2A. I mean just wow. He has been impressive all season but damn he beat Richlands like a drum basically by himself.

Wish the kid the best. Good luck to him!! He ran into a buzzsaw in the wrestling finals last year when he lost to Clarke County’s Bryan Wallace. Wallace got a full ride for football to UNC Charlotte. Footwork/leverage/head placement etc all learned from wrestling. I love to see DT/OT wrestle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Triple Opt
Here are his highlights from Giles last week. Most of these were from the first half as he didn't play as much in the second.

Maxx reminds me Maxx Payne of the WWE fame in the 80s and 90s...I knew him in hs. Vt could have used Maxx Thursday but they dont look past height during recruitment.

Maxx reminds me Maxx Payne of the WWE fame in the 80s and 90s...I knew him in hs. Vt could have used Maxx Thursday but they dont look past height during recruitment.
The strange part is that VT has had great success with shorter defensive tackles and they actually fit the scheme well. All of the Hopkins brothers come to mind (6'0) and Woody Baron a few years ago was all ACC at 6'1.

The best two defensive tackles in the NFL are also right around 6'0.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT