ADVERTISEMENT

Best Players in 4A

Sep 22, 2012
Who will be the Top rated players in 4A next season? Anyone besides the Smith kid from Louisa getting exposure like he is? Share Hudl videos if you have them. Thanks guys!

GW Danville has 4 to look out for. QB Carlos Poole (6'4 185) and LB Carl Poole Jr (6' 210 gym rat) are taking an official visit to Temple this weekend and I know Los will be on a visit to UVA next month. Sophomore WR Shawn Watlington Jr.(6'1 190) has two official visits to NC State and UVA lined up and Sophomore RB Wesley Graves (5'10 185 pure muscle), who played for Team USA last Summer, will be a hot commodity. Graves rushed for 1,471 yards and 24 TDs in just 8 games and led the team in scoring with 144 points (next highest scorer was 87). Los Poole is without a doubt is the best QB in 4a ball. Threw for 1,607 yards, 19 TDs thru the air, with just 3 picks. Added 804 yards rushing along with 14 TDs on the ground.His top receiver was a 14 year old sophomore, Watlington Jr. 36 catches for 904 yards and 12 TDs. Also had played Safety and had 2 defensive TDs. Carl Poole Jr. is a DOG!! Hard hitter. Didn't have the season he wanted cause of injury, but the video speaks for itself. Unfortunately, they played their worst game of the year against the best team they played all year that ended their season. They should be, once again, one of the best offenses in 4a next year.

Los Poole

Carl Poole Jr.

Shawn Watlington Jr.

Wesley Graves

Last edited:
GW Danville has 4 to look out for. QB Carlos Poole (6'4 185) and LB Carl Poole Jr (6' 210 gym rat) are taking an official visit to Temple this weekend and I know Los will be on a visit to UVA next month. Sophomore WR Shawn Watlington Jr.(6'1 190) has two official visits to NC State and UVA lined up and Sophomore RB Wesley Graves (5'10 185 pure muscle), who played for Team USA last Summer, will be a hot commodity. Graves rushed for 1,471 yards and 24 TDs in just 8 games and led the team in scoring with 144 points (next highest scorer was 87). Los Poole is without a doubt is the best QB in 4a ball. Threw for 1,607 yards, 19 TDs thru the air, with just 3 picks. Added 804 yards rushing along with 14 TDs on the ground.His top receiver was a 14 year old sophomore, Watlington Jr. 36 catches for 904 yards and 12 TDs. Also had played Safety and had 2 defensive TDs. Carl Poole Jr. is a DOG!! Hard hitter. Didn't have the season he wanted cause of injury, but the video speaks for itself. Unfortunately, they played their worst game of the year against the best team they played all year that ended their season. They should be, once again, one of the best offenses in 4a next year.

Los Poole

Carl Poole Jr.

Shawn Watlington Jr.

Wesley Graves
All bark, no bite

Lots , of kids playing D-1, D-2, and D-3 over the past few years and beyond. Aston at Pitt , Rivers at VaTech, Currently . Sent Metheny to UVA . JOJO Doleman just got a offer from Marshall couple of weeks ago. And there will be more to follow, several players on the team with solid College talent . But! ! .....I would take a team championship over individual accolades all day long. That’s one reason Salem wins a lot. Team first , players second.

Lots , of kids playing D-1, D-2, and D-3 over the past few years and beyond. Aston at Pitt , Rivers at VaTech, Currently . Sent Metheny to UVA . JOJO Doleman just got a offer from Marshall couple of weeks ago. And there will be more to follow, several players on the team with solid College talent . But! ! .....I would take a team championship over individual accolades all day long. That’s one reason Salem wins a lot. Team first , players second.
Come on Ham, you’re better than that. You’d rather have championships than guys having a chance to get a free education and play at big time schools?? No man. Not even close. Yes, I’ll take a championship but I’d rather my kids go on and play for big time schools.

I think Avery Close TE/OLB/DE will be Salem's most pursued player next year. He was a Jr this year and was 6'5" 208. He is a great 2 way player.

3 year starter D Cardwell T/DT 6'1' 265 is a great 2 way player and will be a big Sr leader this year.

Zavione Wood will be an up and comer as a Sophomore RB/LB this year.

It will be interesting to see how B Pinello will do this year after missing most of last year with mono. He was a Sophomore last year and 6'2' 220.

C Ferris will be a big target for QB Jack Gladden at WR this year. He was a Sophomore last year and 6'2" 190.

These are just a few of the guys that have my attention.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Come on Ham, you’re better than that. You’d rather have championships than guys having a chance to get a free education and play at big time schools?? No man. Not even close. Yes, I’ll take a championship but I’d rather my kids go on and play for big time schools.
I stand by my post , if you have championships , the players will get what they deserve. Salem has sent many players for quality Free education.

We’ve haven’t won a state championship since 82 and we send boatloads of kids to college almost yearly. I’d love to bring a championship back to Danville but hey only one team can win each year. Am I justifying us not winning it? Nope..But sending these kids to these schools is a heck of a consolation prize.

We’ve haven’t won a state championship since 82 and we send boatloads of kids to college almost yearly. I’d love to bring a championship back to Danville but hey only one team can win each year. Am I justifying us not winning it? Nope..But sending these kids to these schools is a heck of a consolation prize.
Definitely agree that sending kids to college is a great thing. I agree with you on that part. I am just saying I value team success over individual success. But you have to admit rarely do both not come without each other. I was just giving you a hard time about summer down.

Okay brother! When my character is in question, I like to know what’s up...That’s why I was hard pressed to know. And I can agree with that! I think that shows you how much GW is respected all over. Haven’t won anything in 36 years, but we’ve had 4 NFL players and 40+ (probably more) D1 athletes since our last championship.
I don’t know where you got “ your character was in question” from my post.

I think Avery Close TE/OLB/DE will be Salem's most pursued player next year. He was a Jr this year and was 6'5" 208. He is a great 2 way player.

3 year starter D Cardwell T/DT 6'1' 265 is a great 2 way player and will be a big Sr leader this year.

Zavione Wood will be an up and comer as a Sophomore RB/LB this year.

It will be interesting to see how B Pinello will do this year after missing most of last year with mono. He was a Sophomore last year and 6'2' 220.

C Ferris will be a big target for QB Jack Gladden at WR this year. He was a Sophomore last year and 6'2" 190.

These are just a few of the guys that have my attention.
Agree on Avery Mike. If that kid continues to develop, he could play D1 on either side of the ball.

Maybe GW just needs a coach then, plenty of spectacular players all over. No offense DSH , but all that talent ... just sayin... I will stick with the coaching and team philosophy , don’t care about superstars....I mean , love great players, but if they don’t help the team win... then they are not on my team. ..... ask Nick Saban, he has a team loaded with superstars every year. ..he don’t care who they are... it’s about how they help the team.

Of the guys I listed I'm not sure who will get offers. (Avery will) I was just listing guys who I think could be big difference makers this year. (I'm sure there will be many others)

Maybe GW just needs a coach then, plenty of spectacular players all over. No offense DSH , but all that talent ... just sayin... I will stick with the coaching and team philosophy , don’t care about superstars....I mean , love great players, but if they don’t help the team win... then they are not on my team. ..... ask Nick Saban, he has a team loaded with superstars every year. ..he don’t care who they are... it’s about how they help the team.
Ham, Saban doesn’t mind telling 4-5 star recruits “I’ll win with or without you” (direct quote from at 4 star DT that I know) because he has others waiting in line. HS coaches “run what they brung” to steal someone else’s quote.

The more players a school has that have been recruited, the more they will have recruited. Championships or not.
Salem has had more attention paid to their players since 7 got scholarships in 2014. It didn't hurt that they've been in the championship game the last 4 years.

Reactions: cb2018
Salem has had more attention paid to their players since 7 got scholarships in 2014. It didn't hurt that they've been in the championship game the last 4 years.
Im sure they have. It doesn’t hurt to play for championships, but for every kid getting recruited, there’s college coaches coming thru the school and hence, an opportunity for that HS coach to talk about not only that kid, but several more.

Reactions: mike salem
Definitely agree that sending kids to college is a great thing. I agree with you on that part. I am just saying I value team success over individual success. But you have to admit rarely do both not come without each other. I was just giving you a hard time about summer down.

I get what you both are saying, and you both seem right to me. I wouldn't consider any kid getting an education as individual success. When I think of individual success vs team success, I think of awards

Can we get back to the best players in the state and you two have your pissing contest somewhere else? Thanks!!
Louisa’s Brandon Smith is the best player in the state and probably the whole nation. If you want the best offensive player in 4a look no further than Carlos Poole..This is Los during he and Carl Jr.’s visit to Temple this weekend. They should have their fair share of choices by signing day. Both boys are some DOGS.

Deep Creek has a some darn good ball players as well that I know has some offers. I would’ve nominated Jasiah Williams (WR from Dinwiddie) but he’s already announced via Twitter that he was transferring to Thomas Dale.

Reactions: lyhsports
I started to make a new thread but this thread is a good one so far. This is Sports Head's official player rankings for Region D.

QB
1. GW's Carlos Poole. 6'4 185, 4.45 40, strong arm. Mechanics will improve drastically over the summer. D1 prospect, best dual threat QB available in VA.
2. Blacksburg's Grant Johnston. State champ, size at 6'5, game manager, D1 prospect, pro-style QB
3. Salem's Jack Gladden. State champ, game manager, strong arm, college prospect.
4. Glass's Dresean Kendrick. Arguably be the best player on the list, only reason he's 4 is because he's not a true QB, but a pure athlete. Huge play ability and sure D1 prospect.

RB
1. Amherst's Frank Ross
2. JF's Marvin Blake
3. GW's Wesley Graves
4.Charlottesville's Sabias Folley
HM Jacob Hackworth (JF), Brian Mitchell (Blacksburg)

WR
1. Blacksburg's Tiquest Terry
2. GW's Shawn Watlington Jr.
3. Glass's Dresean Kendrick
4. Salem's Avery Close (TE)
5. Salem's Chase Ferris

Last edited:
Reactions: lyhsports
For Salem they will be young at some spots but here is a way too early analysis
Line play is critical for Salem and who will step up alongside three year starter Dajon Cardwell at 6-1 275? They have a lot of possibilities and they will get a lot of early reps :
Samuel Cosnotti JR 6-3 303
Will Price 6-0 285
Luke Grinnell 6-0 265
Chase Darnall 5-10 293
David Debout 5-10 253
Other key players will be Sean Sumpter, who is one of those do anything Salem athletes at 5-11 185
Chandler Sutphin at 6-1 170 , is a heavy hitter on defense
Isiah Persinger has been a utility back up player who will get a look at defensive back and RB and possibly WR
Bobby Pinello will hopefully return from injury and will get a chance to start at 6-2 220
Jack Gladden returns at QB and should be more consistent from the beginning.
Avery Close who probably will pack another 20 pounds or so onto his 6'5" frame at either DE or TE or both.
Obviously, another very good jV team will with a few surprises.
Running Backs will be young.

Salem will benefit from JV players moving up after 9-1 season where only loss was by 4 points to Franklin County.

Last edited:
My Top For Region D:
QB
1. Johnston(Blacksburg)
2. Poole(GW)
3. Kendrick(Glass)
3. Gladden(Salem)
5. Akers(Pulaski)

RB
1. Ross (Amherst)
2.Blake (JF)