ADVERTISEMENT

Best Players in 4A

I started to make a new thread but this thread is a good one so far. This is Sports Head's official player rankings for Region D.

QB
1. GW's Carlos Poole. 6'4 185, 4.45 40, strong arm. Mechanics will improve drastically over the summer. D1 prospect, best dual threat QB available in VA.
2. Blacksburg's Grant Johnston. State champ, size at 6'5, game manager, D1 prospect, pro-style QB
3. Salem's Jake Gladden. State champ, game manager, strong arm D1-D2 prospect.
4. Glass's Dresean Kendrick. Arguably be the best player on the list, only reason he's 4 is because he's not a true QB, but a pure athlete. Huge play ability and sure D1 prospect.

RB
1. Amherst's Frank Ross
2. JF's Marvin Blake
3. GW's Wesley Graves
4.Charlottesville's Sabias Folley
HM Jacob Hackworth (JF), Brian Mitchell (Blacksburg)

WR
1. Blacksburg's Tiquest Terry
2. GW's Shawn Watlington Jr.
3. Glass's Dresean Kendrick
4. Salem's Avery Close (TE)
5. Salem's Chase Ferris

Good List DSH! Kendrick Will have his chance this year to show how good of a QB he can be. He impoved a lot over the freshman to sophomore offseason. The last three games of his freshman year he threw the ball more than he did over this past season. He might not make the throws that some of the top QB's will attempt, but he should throw a lot this year. That is if Woody doesn't have another quarterback up his sleeve.

Have you looked at Glass' So. RB Ty Foster? I think he's worth the look. Very fast kid.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Good List DSH! Kendrick Will have his chance this year to show how good of a QB he can be. He impoved a lot over the freshman to sophomore offseason. The last three games of his freshman year he threw the ball more than he did over this past season. He might not make the throws that some of the top QB's will attempt, but he should throw a lot this year. That is if Woody doesn't have another quarterback up his sleeve.

Have you looked at Glass' So. RB Ty Foster? I think he's worth the look. Very fast kid.
My apologies Lyhsports! Foster is going to be real good the next 2 years!

I started to make a new thread but this thread is a good one so far. This is Sports Head's official player rankings for Region D.

QB
1. GW's Carlos Poole. 6'4 185, 4.45 40, strong arm. Mechanics will improve drastically over the summer. D1 prospect, best dual threat QB available in VA.
2. Blacksburg's Grant Johnston. State champ, size at 6'5, game manager, D1 prospect, pro-style QB
3. Salem's Jack Gladden. State champ, game manager, strong arm, college prospect.
4. Glass's Dresean Kendrick. Arguably be the best player on the list, only reason he's 4 is because he's not a true QB, but a pure athlete. Huge play ability and sure D1 prospect.

RB
1. Amherst's Frank Ross
2. JF's Marvin Blake
3. GW's Wesley Graves

WR
5. Salem's Chase Ferris
Kam Akers is def a top 5 QB. Maybe even top 3. Add Tyler Foster to RB and Tyler Rose to WR.

QB
3. Salem's Jack Gladden. State champ, game manager, strong arm, college prospect.

RB
1. Amherst's Frank Ross
2. JF's Marvin Blake
3. GW's Wesley Graves

WR
5. Salem's Chase Ferris
As far as Ferris is concerned, I will just say he looked good in JV. He played a little last year at DB on Varsity in a backup role. At WR he had a knack for getting open, caught pretty much everything thrown to him, and at 6'2" 190 he obviously has good size and potential. I could see him at TE next year after Close graduates.

Reactions: freeatlast2013
Agree on Avery Mike. If that kid continues to develop, he could play D1 on either side of the ball.
I think Avery is being recruited primarily at TE. I think they want him to continue to add weight for college. As a DE he has good instincts at the HS level, but as far as colleges go he doesn't have D1 DE speed. He is a good kid, has good grades, and is definitely getting D1 interest for his play and size at TE.

As far as Ferris is concerned, I will just say he looked good in JV. He played a little last year at DB on Varsity in a backup role. At WR he had a knack for getting open, caught pretty much everything thrown to him, and at 6'2" 190 he obviously has good size and potential. I could see him at TE next year after Close graduates.
You’re the second person that I’ve heard mention Ferris so I added him to the top 5. 6’2 with good hands.

Reactions: mike salem
Glass is going to be very very good. I believe they, Amherst & JF (if they find a defense) give Region D the same firepower that Region B had this past year when thrown in there with Salem, GW , and Blacksburg. Good thing about it.. Playoffs start early. GW opens against LCA and Amherst and then goes to JF (very hostile environment). Salem gets Amherst, Widdie, Blacksburg and Pulaski. Of course the Seminole teams will duke it out. Region D will be right up there with Region B.

Reactions: lyhsports

QB

RB
1. Amherst's Frank Ross
2. JF's Marvin Blake
3. GW's Wesley Graves

WR
5. Salem's Chase Ferris

Couple of questions:: Is Kendrick going to be throwing passes to himself or am I misreading that? Also, isn't Cupit the most talented RB on JF?

Reactions: MrSir#5
Kendrick is a Swiss Army knife. At times last year he was a QB, RB, or a WR. He's talented, although I don't think he'll catch his own passes. Blake was the leading RB for JF 2 years ago as a Sophomore. I'm not sure who led them last year. Hackworth had a lot of yards as well. They were a 3 prong running attack.

Last edited:
Couple of questions:: Is Kendrick going to be throwing passes to himself or am I misreading that? Also, isn't Cupit the most talented RB on JF?
I had Kendrick on there interchangeably. He plays QB and WR. He’s top 5 in both categories. He’s the best overall athlete in Region D. You honestly could put Cupit, Blake, and Hackworth all in the conversation. All 3 are very good backs.

Interesting to see what type of offensive system they will have with a new coach Z I really like LCA’s offense.
I haven't seen them play in several years, but the last time I saw their offense it kind of reminded me of Boise St from the Chris Petersen era. I really liked it. It was very dynamic and unlike anything I had seen at the HS level in VA. I would like to see them play at Salem Stadium even if it was just a benefit game.

It will be interesting to see who becomes the ball carriers this year. There are some good backs, but no real big guys. (Unless they can convert another DL into a FB like they did with Tae Hale last year) Upperclassmen generally get preference in Salem's system at most positions. Sr's Richardson and Newby carried the ball some last year. There are Jr's Persinger and FB Sutphin. I think the Soph Wood is very talented (Persinger as well) and may get a chance to carry the ball. There is also Soph L Ramsey that may get a chance. He was injured pretty much all of last year so he's a little behind other guys and he has shown more promise thus far on the defensive side of the ball. There could certainly be other guys that I may have missed as well.

My gut says that Richardson, and Persinger will get first shot at it with Newby a possibility as well. (He was a WR on JV, but a RB last year on the offensive side so we'll see how he is used) Wood will definitely get some carries as he and Persinger seem to be the best pure RB's I've seen that Salem has for this year imo. Since Richardson lined up at FB some last year I'd say he may begin the season at that position (as well as him starting at the DE position like he has the last couple of years) with Persinger at RB and Wood being the backup at RB. (Just my opinion)

He was still small last year as a Freshman. (I expect he'll hit a growth spurt this offseason) His defensive play at ALMS from the MLB position kind of reminded me of Deangelo his Soph season from the DE spot) Since Lewis didn't play much at all last year with an injury it will be interesting to see his development. He's a Ramsey so I think he has great potential. He obviously has good instincts and athletic skills, just a shame he broke his hand or arm early last year so I didn't get to see him play.

It will be interesting to see who becomes the ball carriers this year. There are some good backs, but no real big guys. (Unless they can convert another DL into a FB like they did with Tae Hale last year) Upperclassmen generally get preference in Salem's system at most positions. Sr's Richardson and Newby carried the ball some last year. There are Jr's Persinger and FB Sutphin. I think the Soph Wood is very talented (Persinger as well) and may get a chance to carry the ball. There is also Soph L Ramsey that may get a chance. He was injured pretty much all of last year so he's a little behind other guys and he has shown more promise thus far on the defensive side of the ball. There could certainly be other guys that I may have missed as well.

My gut says that Richardson, and Persinger will get first shot at it with Newby a possibility as well. (He was a WR on JV, but a RB last year on the offensive side so we'll see how he is used) Wood will definitely get some carries as he and Persinger seem to be the best pure RB's I've seen that Salem has for this year imo. Since Richardson lined up at FB some last year I'd say he may begin the season at that position (as well as him starting at the DE position like he has the last couple of years) with Persinger at RB and Wood being the backup at RB. (Just my opinion)
I think Wood will get plenty of carries next year. He is probably a better linebacker than he is RB so they might be planning to use him more on that side of the ball but the kid is very talented on both sides of the ball.

They also had a DT at Andrew Lewis last year (Pretty sure his last name was Williams) that I could potentially see playing varsity as a freshman which is obviously something very rare at Salem. Not sure how much size and strength/technique he has added from last year but he was huge last year and had a ton of burst off the line.

Yeah the first thing I noticed about Wood was his hard hitting and play at LB. Once Persinger moved up, Wood was the primary back for JV and looked really good there too. By the end of the year he was starting on special teams for Varsity. He will probably be backup to Persinger (1A) at RB and they will have a lot of guys returning at LB so he'll probably be a backup. (1A- they have Close, [OLB or DE] Pinello, Sutphin, Sumpter, there as well) I say 1A at both positions because I don't really see any dropoff in the level of play.

Yes Stacy Williams #75 rising Fr was very impressive and could see time at the Varsity level this year.

Yeah the first thing I noticed about Wood was his hard hitting and play at LB. Once Persinger moved up, Wood was the primary back for JV and looked really good there too. By the end of the year he was starting on special teams for Varsity. He will probably be backup to Persinger (1A) at RB and they will have a lot of guys returning at LB so he'll probably be a backup. (1A- they have Close, [OLB or DE] Pinello, Sutphin, Sumpter, there as well) I say 1A at both positions because I don't really see any dropoff in the level of play.

Yes Stacy Williams #75 rising Fr was very impressive and could see time at the Varsity level this year.
Should be very strong at line backer and defensive end. Still got to find playmakers

Cupit will have the second most yards in the seminole. Probably the biggest back in the area and is not slow. Hopefully he is back to 100% by August. Ross is strong and will receive 90 % of the carries. Although he is fast he is missing that half of step to be extremely dangerous. Tough runner like his cousin but if he works on his quickness and breakaway speed could be in the top 5 of a very talented RB brotherhood at Amherst. Special is a understatement!

Best DT duo in the state will be at Kings Fork.

Jay'ree Hardy and Treyshawn Mitchell.

Jay'ree is mean as all get out and it feels like he's looking to put someone in a body bag every time on the field.

Treyshawn is Teradja Mitchell's younger brother and will be a junior. He is already 6'2" and a LEAN 315 lbs.

With a senior MLB in Devin Chamblis (so?) No one will be running the ball up the middle. On the Bulldogs.

To answer the original qurquest, I'm gonna say Treyshawn is easily one of the best players in the state during his junior campaign

EJ Horton, WR, Pulaski is underrated because he was a newcomer last year. He was top 3 in Timesland last season in yards, catches, YPC, and TDs. Hard to cover one on one, just ask Terry from Bburg, who everyone raves about.

I'm High on EJ Horton also.I watched a few Pulaski games, He looked really good at WR last year. He and Akers will be a good duo to watch this upcoming year.

Cupit will have the second most yards in the seminole. Probably the biggest back in the area and is not slow. Hopefully he is back to 100% by August. Ross is strong and will receive 90 % of the carries. Although he is fast he is missing that half of step to be extremely dangerous. Tough runner like his cousin but if he works on his quickness and breakaway speed could be in the top 5 of a very talented RB brotherhood at Amherst. Special is a understatement!
He will be better than last year. Besides he is pumped and ready

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT