ADVERTISEMENT

Best Players in 4A

I think Avery is being recruited primarily at TE. I think they want him to continue to add weight for college. As a DE he has good instincts at the HS level, but as far as colleges go he doesn't have D1 DE speed. He is a good kid, has good grades, and is definitely getting D1 interest for his play and size at TE.
Some D1 schools are looking at him for defense. He's faster than he looks.

Reactions: mike salem
Interesting to see what type of offensive system they will have with a new coach Z I really like LCA’s offense.
I don’t suspect their offense will change. Their “new” coach isn’t really new. Frank Rocco was the head coach for about decade before his son Chris took over the past two seasons. Chris ran the exact offense and defense as his dad when dad was the head coach so I’m gonna guess that Frank is going to keep things the same.

Reactions: lyhsports
The best player in 4a isn't in 4a. Jasiah Williams jumped ship to 6aThomas Dale this summer. I wish this young man the best, but Jasiah, you made a mistake.

That leaves Dinwiddie QB Peety Pope as the best player in 4a.

The best player in 4a isn't in 4a. Jasiah Williams jumped ship to 6aThomas Dale this summer. I wish this young man the best, but Jasiah, you made a mistake.

What position did Williams play?

Jasiah is a great kid, (unless he has changed in the last year). Very mature. Has a goal in mind for his life and understands the work and sacrifice needed to achieve that goal.

I'm reasonably confident that nothing nefarious went on to lure him to TD. He was in a great situation in Dinwiddie for team success and to be recruited. He is extremely liked by his teammates, as well as in the halls at school. Yeah, TD is Class 6, and they have one of the best players in the country in Chris's Tyree. But, Coach Mills is as good as anyone at getting the recruiters to take a look. But the truth is, you don't need to seek exposure at his talent level. You could be playing at anywhere from Nandua to Thomas Walker and they will find you.

Sure, Thomas Dale will make a run in the playoffs. But so should Dinwiddie. I don't see him as a "ring chaser", but I would say the odds are about the same that either Dinwiddie or Thomas Dale could win a championship in the next two years.

His leaving has just never made sense to me.

Reactions: mbonape1
My Top For Region D:
QB
1. Johnston(Blacksburg)
2. Poole(GW)
3. Kendrick(Glass)
3. Gladden(Salem)
5. Akers(Pulaski)

RB
1. Ross (Amherst)
2.Blake (JF)
3. Graves (GW)
4. Foster(Glass)
5. Folley(CVille)/Venhorst(LCA)

WR
1. Terry (BBurg
2. Watlington (GW)
3 Horton(Pulaski)
4. Kendrick(Glass)
5. Tyler Rose (LCA)
Heard from a parent today that the new coach is really working them hard

This is hilarious, and wrong (again) on every point.

It's not your place for his decision to make sense to you, and for you to say it was a mistake as if that's a fact. The decision to move could've been completely, and most likely, unrelated to football. It could've been the best decision of his life, who knows?

Last edited:
@DinwiddieProud yeah, we know. Here are your opinions from one of the funniest posts of last year, it's been long overdue to refute them with FACTS. Foot, meet mouth.
Hoos, I love your optimism. But buddy, it's not grounded in reality. Just because you have Bell doesn't mean you can be successful enough running the ball. And if you can't run, and you can't pass, you can't win.
Bell, Whalen and friends did all three against Dinwiddie, and made it look easy, all in reality.
You would need to have 400+ yards of rushing to score enough points to stay in the game with EV, Monacan, or Dinwiddie.
Well we only had 300 yards rushing for 3 TDs, and 100 yards passing for 2 TDs against Dinwiddie, and only had 31 points at halftime, but I'll take it!
If you can't pass, and everyone knows you can't, then you will be basically trying to run against an 11 man front. Louisa ain't that good, my friend.
It looks like everyone but a select few were wrong, and Louisa was that good. But I'm sure some will still say lucky.
The three teams I mentioned can cover man to man plenty good enough to keep Louisa from beating them on a few lucky pass attempts.
LOL, Lafayette and Salem did a better job than those three teams.
I'm sorry, and I know how bad Louisa wants to win it all, but it just ain't gonna happen this year. One playoff win for you, tops. Sorry, just being brutaLily honest with you.
Correct about the first part. No need to be sorry though! Louisa, we fans, and especially Malik Bell, still thank you for the eloquently worded extra motivation to turn Bell into Superman the following few weeks, playing to his true potential. As cliche and goofy as it seems, it really helped make a difference. These new generations of kids/athletes will take words said on message boards and social media to heart more than real life parenting/coaching. Last season is one we'll never forget.

As for this year, the best player in not only 4A, but every public school class, currently resides in Louisa County, and the camps/rankings/facts prove it. Pope is one of the most dynamic, and just as fun to watch. Good luck to Dinwiddie this season! Hopefully I'll catch some of you guys in person sometime this season, and REALLY talk football. I've held my tongue the last few years because of the stubborn "Richmond bubble" bias. I honestly don't think Louisa will be that good this season, but if we're fortunate enough to rematch, it'll be fun to see Smith vs. Pope round 2 as seniors.

Last edited:
Smith from Louisa is another in a recent line of very good class 4 linebackers Pine-Lafayette, Tucker-Dorsey-LT, Rivers-Sherando and Pope-Dinwiddie just to name a few. Dont have a clue who will be the best of the bunch. Smith outplayed Pope last year.

It will be interesting to see how Smith reacts. Will he protect himself or play lights out. He will be facing some crazy scheme blocking to slow him down, so time will tell. He sure is fun to watch though.

Region B will have some qb's worth watching as well. Pope and Lowry are the biggest names, but don't discount Snyder from Monacan. He may be the next shocker. Big and fast young man.

When Monacan's QB was mentioned before, I figured it had to be Snyder. He will be very fun to watch full time! I'm betting he might make Monacan's offense even more dynamic.

Smith definitely will still go 100% every play, he simply has that motor and doesn't know any different. It's just up to his new supporting cast to step up.

Jarett Hunter has to prove himself, but if he's Louisa's next QB and has a supporting cast, he should be right in the conversations too. He has gotten a bit taller and stronger, and is a better passer than Bell, who turned out pretty good himself. I think DSH was spot on saying Hunter is similar to Pope, just shorter.

When Monacan's QB was mentioned before, I figured it had to be Snyder. He will be very fun to watch full time! I'm betting he might make Monacan's offense even more dynamic.

Smith definitely will still go 100% every play, he simply has that motor and doesn't know any different. It's just up to his new supporting cast to step up.

Jarett Hunter has to prove himself, but if he's Louisa's next QB and has a supporting cast, he should be right in the conversations too. He has gotten a bit taller and stronger, and is a better passer than Bell, who turned out pretty good himself. I think DSH was spot on saying Hunter is similar to Pope, just shorter.
Not sure how dynamic he will make Monacan. His size and speed reminds me of Cheatham from Hanover. If Coach Henderson is smart he lets him pound opponents into submission. It worked for Louisa. He has suffered a few setbacks in the past with a bad ankle.

Have never seen Hunter play live and have no clue how good Louisa's line play will be, so I cannot offer any feedback on him.

Yeah line play on both sides of the ball is a huge question mark for us, hopefully they step up.

It sounds like Snyder can sling the ball around too, so they probably won't try to run him nearly as much as Louisa did Bell, but it's nice knowing the option will be there.

Yeah line play on both sides of the ball is a huge question mark for us, hopefully they step up.

It sounds like Snyder can sling the ball around too, so they probably won't try to run him nearly as much as Louisa did Bell, but it's nice knowing the option will be there.

Our boy can throw but the punching bag don’t punch back... meaning we haven’t done too much in live games yet so we will wait and see how things shape up. He is a bull dozer and that is tried and trued. Not worried about our skill positions. D-line and O-line will be the difference from being a solid team or making a deep run into late Nov and Dec. The last few years we fell in love with the home-run ball. It will be nice to focus on single and doubles and let the home runs come when they come. Not to speak in code but, if you know you know.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Thank goodness the refs helped us out in those home games. I'm not sure how they would have won all of those close games at home. (FC 42-0, Christiansburg 55-14, Cave Spring 56-3, Hidden Valley 45-7, Charlottesville 70-34, Sherando 49-14) Idk how crews are assigned, but I think it's funny how the refs help certain teams and try to control the outcome. Some crews are just atrocious (Dinwiddie game) but in all honesty they are human and make mistakes. Refs should be judged on their performance and not be assigned to big games.

It's wrong not to give credit to the players or coaches. There must be something nefarious going on for Salem to win 88% of their games under Coach Mags and company. The MS & JV teams win a similar %.

Oh btw, I'm scouting players to recruit, who's taking care of the refs this year?

We all know Salem gets the calls in big games. Salem is the Golden State Warriors, NE Pats and Duke Blue Devils of high school football. They get the calls. Gotta do what MV, Heritage, Amherst and Dinwiddie did..Bring your A game and beat them.

Reactions: Lewis918777
Thank goodness the refs helped us out in those home games. I'm not sure how they would have won all of those close games at home. (FC 42-0, Christiansburg 55-14, Cave Spring 56-3, Hidden Valley 45-7, Charlottesville 70-34, Sherando 49-14) Idk how crews are assigned, but I think it's funny how the refs help certain teams and try to control the outcome. Some crews are just atrocious (Dinwiddie game) but in all honesty they are human and make mistakes. Refs should be judged on their performance and not be assigned to big games.

It's wrong not to give credit to the players or coaches. There must be something nefarious going on for Salem to win 88% of their games under Coach Mags and company. The MS & JV teams win a similar %.

Oh btw, I'm scouting players to recruit, who's taking care of the refs this year?
Lol I like you @mike salem i knew you would come to the defense of anything Salem! Salem has an excellent coaching staff and players. Their system is second to none but those human mistakes cost some teams a lot!!! Outside of Dinwiddie and Sherando the other teams you mentioned are cupcakes! Let’s see what happens this this year if the refs can let the players decide games!

I think DSH was spot on saying Hunter is similar to Pope, just shorter.
Petey has more film at QB but you can’t question their athletic similarities. I’ve said numerous times that Petey is the second coming of Tyrod Taylor. Immaculate footwork and athletic ability. The tape that I’ve seen of Hunter shows an elusive, tough and hard nosed football player. Yeah he’s 5’10 160 and Petey is 6’ 195 but they both have dynamic playmaking ability. I’ll take both leading my team. Hoos I’ve said it to you, I can’t question Petey’s resume. He went into Salem and led one of the best drives I’ve ever seen in high school football.. But let’s not forget what Hunter did at receiver when playing THE NUMBER 1 team in the state last year. Lots of clutch plays not only catching the ball but running and blocking.. Impressive plays on D too. Jarett took the reigns at QB when Bell was suspended and showed glimpses of a very special player. Jarett comes back a year more experienced (like last year when Petey took over for Whitt), he’s stronger, faster and as the leader of the offense. I made a bold statement and said that Hunter could possibly be an all state candidate as an athlete or QB and I stand by it.. All this depends on lineplay and of course his development...One thing for sure..Both Pope and Hunter are two dynamic players that should not compared. We, especially me since I initially compared them, should appreciate both young men’s greatness.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Lol I like you @mike salem i knew you would come to the defense of anything Salem! Salem has an excellent coaching staff and players. Their system is second to none but those human mistakes cost some teams a lot!!! Outside of Dinwiddie and Sherando the other teams you mentioned are cupcakes! Let’s see what happens this this year if the refs can let the players decide games!
I have no idea where the crews come from and who decides where they go Friday. The crew that did the Dinwiddie/Salem game, or certain individuals, should have been suspended for a couple of games, that was ridiculous.

I have no idea where the crews come from and who decides where they go Friday. The crew that did the Dinwiddie/Salem game, or certain individuals, should have been suspended for a couple of games, that was ridiculous.
I hear you Mike!!! GL to your Salem Spartans on this upcoming season should be a good one!! You guys just reload!

Good luck to GW this year. They always have great playmakers. If they can improve the line play then they will be dangerous. Good OL play helps you control the TOP which really helps the defense as well. And good DL play puts pressure on the QB and RB's.

Reactions: Lewis918777
Crews are based on geographic regions and are assigned to games within that region. For example, there is a "Roanoke crew" that covers home games in the Roanoke and NRV area. There's a "Lynchburg crew" that covers homes game in the Lynchburg and bordering counties area. This is common practice across the state, at least during regular season.

Crews are based on geographic regions and are assigned to games within that region. For example, there is a "Roanoke crew" that covers home games in the Roanoke and NRV area. There's a "Lynchburg crew" that covers homes game in the Lynchburg and bordering counties area. This is common practice across the state, at least during regular season.

And when playoffs start, crews are assigned from different regions as to not have any bias

And when playoffs start, crews are assigned from different regions as to not have any bias
Gunz I know you know what you’re talking about but someone please correct me if I’m wrong.. Salem had Roanoke officials in 2014 against Danville. I recall Willis (who’s son was the man at Franklin County in the mid 2000s) being an official that game and he is a Roanoke area official. No sarcasm or shade intended.

I’ve heard Lynchburg crews are worst than Salem crews to outsiders such as a school about 62 Miles on 29 South ;) I’m just picking Vols.

The home team uses their normal official association until state semis. This is supposed to be true in all sports. Once the state semis (a v. B and c v. d) start nominated crews are assigned and sent to games within a reasonable distance from their base by the VHSL. The finals crews are also assigned by the vhsl. Please understand the vhsl assigns the association not the officials.

The home team uses their normal official association until state semis. This is supposed to be true in all sports. Once the state semis (a v. B and c v. d) start nominated crews are assigned and sent to games within a reasonable distance from their base by the VHSL. The finals crews are also assigned by the vhsl. Please understand the vhsl assigns the association not the officials.

I think it may be different in different areas then, or a bit different in the sense that there are certain crews that work in areas, ie in Augusta county, but they are associated with a larger group. So when playoffs start, from my understanding, its ones that aren't always working that area. But a lot of that doesnt really matter much because regions are usually working with the same group, if that makes sense

ADVERTISEMENT