ADVERTISEMENT

Best returning running games

anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b

VaPreps All Region
Aug 28, 2005
Since there's a passing game thread and a defense thread, why not get a running game thread going? There's a recent thread about top returning individual running backs, but let's talk about overall running games. Most of the top 4A teams are run heavy.

Salem, of course. They just plug and play their running game every year with hard-nosed runners behind a stud offensive line, and you know what to expect from them.

Lake Taylor has a stud rising junior RB (can't remember his name) and their twin veer offense is always tough to stop. They should be back in the playoff mix this year.

Sherando has one of the fastest running backs in 4A returning in senior TJ Washington. They will return an experienced offensive line, and traditionally run a hard-to-stop I formation similar to Salem's.

Jefferson Forest's rushing attack should be very formidable this year. Their wishbone triple option is always fun to watch and tough to stop, and stud rising junior FB/RB Keenan Cupit and company could have them deep in the playoffs.

Charlottesville's triple option, led by beastly rising senior Sabias Folley and expected newcomer senior QB Daimon Washington will be strong as usual, possibly their best unit yet. They should return one of their top offensive linemen from two years ago, who transferred to Meadowbrook and is now back.

Courtland's wing T attack should be back to usual form this year. They return most of their athletic offense and usually keep a stud FB, which gives them a three-headed attack and makes them that much tougher to contain. Their FB didn't get that many carries last year.

Woodgrove traditionally has a strong running game with a huge line, and were very young last year. Look for them to be back in the Region C mix.

There are many other 4A teams with traditionally good to great running games, but have lost some key pieces, coaches, and/or will be unproven, so I left them out. These were just the teams that came to mind first.

Last edited:
Hoos stop making me brag on my Danville boys :p

1.Los Poole had 804 yards rushing, 14 TDs
2.Wesley Graves 1,471 yards rushing, 24 TDs (only played 7 games) 9.3 yards a carry
3.Willie Edmunds Jr...Navy Jones type of year on JV. I think he had around 40 TDs and 1600 yards rushing as a freshman. Had 20 carries for 214 yards rushing and 4 TDs on Varsity.
4. Carl Poole Jr. is the best back out of the 4. Played in 5 games at safety. After he got hurt in the Amherst game, he didn’t play offense for the rest of the year. 6’2 200 pound back.

Jesus, didn’t realize Keenan Cupit was just a rising junior. Cupit, Marvin Blake and Jacob Hackworth will give opponents a lot of trouble! If JF has any kind of defense, they’ll be a contender to come out of 4a West.

Reactions: MrSir#5
Hoos stop making me brag on my Danville boys :p

1.Los Poole had 804 yards rushing, 14 TDs
2.Wesley Graves 1,471 yards rushing, 24 TDs (only played 7 games) 9.3 yards a carry
3.Willie Edmunds Jr...Navy Jones type of year on JV. I think he had around 40 TDs and 1600 yards rushing as a freshman. Had 20 carries for 214 yards rushing and 4 TDs on Varsity.
4. Carl Poole Jr. is the best back out of the 4. Played in 5 games at safety. After he got hurt in the Amherst game, he didn’t play offense for the rest of the year. 6’2 200 pound back.
No offense but, JV doesn’t matter. There are thousands of “Navy Jones type of year” players on JV. LOL

JF will continue to have a formidable backfield as long as Christmas is there. The reason they’ll continue to produce runners is the o line, if I’m not mistaken they have a young lineman who has some offers. In the Seminole they have the strongest running game, but the best rb is probably in Amherst this year IMO.

No offense but, JV doesn’t matter. There are thousands of “Navy Jones type of year” players on JV. LOL
I dig what you’re saying and I totally agree bro but this kid shouldn’t have been playing JV lol.. He was a cheat code. Anderson did the same with Wesley Graves and Shawn Watlington their freshman year and kept them on JV. Graves ended up with almost 1500 yards rushing in only 7 games and Watlington was the Danville Metro Offensive Player of the year as sophomores this year. Edmunds has more varsity experience than either one of them had. Edmunds will be the second back this year behind Wesley Graves and could possibly be the feature back. The biggest thing is he is the Edmunds’ Brothers first cousin and they’ve been working with him and getting him right. Kid is a dog, no lie.

Reactions: VolNation85
JF will continue to have a formidable backfield as long as Christmas is there. The reason they’ll continue to produce runners is the o line, if I’m not mistaken they have a young lineman who has some offers. In the Seminole they have the strongest running game, but the best rb is probably in Amherst this year IMO.
Yes Frank Ross should be if the new coach uses his talents to the best

Obviously there are plenty of strong running games in Class 4. We lose a big chunk of what was a pretty successful offense last year, but I think we have the tools to rebuild. Folley is back to full strength after an injury-riddled junior year, in which he still ran for over 1,000 yards. We have the natural speed and talent, and I think paired with the hard work they've put in this spring and summer, our offense will again be a force.

@blackknight_pride please tell your boy Tiny (DM me if you don't know who it is) to get in the weight room! LOL. And to sign up if he hasn't already, and go to the Ferrum camp. It was a pleasant surprise to see him out for 7 on 7, but that kid needs to WORK and I hope he sticks around.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Obviously there are plenty of strong running games in Class 4. We lose a big chunk of what was a pretty successful offense last year, but I think we have the tools to rebuild. Folley is back to full strength after an injury-riddled junior year, in which he still ran for over 1,000 yards. We have the natural speed and talent, and I think paired with the hard work they've put in this spring and summer, our offense will again be a force.

Folly should be dominating high school ball. I look for him to have a great year this year.

I dig what you’re saying and I totally agree bro but this kid shouldn’t have been playing JV lol.. He was a cheat code. Anderson did the same with Wesley Graves and Shawn Watlington their freshman year and kept them on JV. Graves ended up with almost 1500 yards rushing in only 7 games and Watlington was the Danville Metro Offensive Player of the year as sophomores this year. Edmunds has more varsity experience than either one of them had. Edmunds will be the second back this year behind Wesley Graves and could possibly be the feature back. The biggest thing is he is the Edmunds’ Brothers first cousin and they’ve been working with him and getting him right. Kid is a dog, no lie.
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the boys from Danville in case our paths should cross in the near future ;). What type of size does he have?

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the boys from Danville in case our paths should cross in the near future ;). What type of size does he have?
Last year’s roster had him 5’10 175 as a freshman. He’s probably close to 5’11 185 right now. He’s built just like his cousin Terrell and plays exactly like him on offense when he was in high school. Hopefully he’s as good as Terrell is on defense :confused:

Last year’s roster had him 5’10 175 as a freshman. He’s probably close to 5’11 185 right now. He’s built just like his cousin Terrell and plays exactly like him on offense when he was in high school. Hopefully he’s as good as Terrell is on defense :confused:
That's pretty good size for a sophomore RB.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
That's pretty good size for a sophomore RB.
He went to the NFL Draft with his cousins and took some pictures with Saquon Barkley, Derwin James , of course his three cousins Trey, Terrell and Maine, Mike Vick and Shaquem Griffin..Safe to say, he still looks like a baby beside them lol.. I won’t share his personal page like I do the Poole boys but you can find it on his page on Instagram. It’s open if you search his name. I’ve known him since he was a toddler and he’s a great kid. We’re expecting big things out of him!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT