ADVERTISEMENT

Best Stadiums?

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
Who has the best stadium in your team's district?!?

For the JD, I'd have to say the Jungle is the best, but Porterfield Park in Orange County is pretty awesome.

Depends how you define "best"....I really like watching the game at Orange because it's old-school and fans can get very close to the field. Hated waiting in line 20 minutes for a ticket....even after getting there almost at the end of the 1st qtr. Not a very smooth process they have there for buying a ticket.

I have to say that's the first time I've read "Porterfield Park" and "awesome" in the same sentence.

I have to go with Powhatan's stadium, I've always thought the setup is beautiful. But Louisa has the best grass, which matters more.

I have to say that's the first time I've read "Porterfield Park" and "awesome" in the same sentence.

I have to go with Powhatan's stadium, I've always thought the setup is beautiful. But Louisa has the best grass, which matters more.
I agree with you that PP is far from "awesome" as a complex, but I love how close you can get to the field. I hate the standard field-inside-the-track format that most every school has today. I know if makes since financially but the seats are just too far away. Fans can definitely have an impact at a place like PP.

Well, for my area, I would have to say the prettiest is obviously Handley. The only downside is that they do not have lights to play night games. Millbrook has a nice stadium, but getting out of there is an absolute nightmare. Single point of entry at a short cycle traffic light. Both schools have concessions on both sides of the field, which is nice.

The worst in our district belongs to Madison County. I do remember them having the best ribeye sandwiches around at the games though.

The Seminole District has some of the best football in the state but some of the crappiest stadiums. City Stadium (Glass/Heritage home field) is probably the best "stadium." The field is less than five years old, brand new digital jumbo screen/scoreboard, plenty of seating in both sides. The negative is the lack of parking and entrances right now due to remodeling. They are in the process of building new home and visitor locker rooms that have a tunnel style entrance to the field.

Well, for my area, I would have to say the prettiest is obviously Handley. The only downside is that they do not have lights to play night games. Millbrook has a nice stadium, but getting out of there is an absolute nightmare. Single point of entry at a short cycle traffic light. Both schools have concessions on both sides of the field, which is nice.

The worst in our district belongs to Madison County. I do remember them having the best ribeye sandwiches around at the games though.

Do you ever NOT think of food?

Generals stadium is really nice now. Decent enough parking. Great traffic control by the Sheriffs Dept. Better than average food at the concessions. Large new restroom facilities. The field sets down a little in a bit of a bowl. Viewing is nice. The stands are about as close to the field as a track encircled field can be. New modern Musco Lighting. A new field house a few years ago that the visiting team can use. The field was new a couple of years ago and has been extremely well maintained. Handicap access was greatly improved. Not much to really complain about. We need a new press booth, but that is about it.

As far as unique old stadiums, it's hard to beat Hopewell. The visitors side is the old home field side. All old concrete with 10' concrete walls surrounding half of the complex. The visitors side seats are low, (and hard), but the history of the place is worth it. Parking is a challenge, unless you arrive early.

And I loved Maury field in Fredericsburg. Also, Lord Botetout's field is scenic. I would love to see a game there when the leaves are changing.

I will have to admit Louisa has a nice field and the Jungle is a great atmosphere for high school football. I'm sure its even better now (I did not make the trip last year) considering they switched to a different announcer. The play by play from the guy that did the games a few years ago would make a preacher want to lay his bible down and I aint Lion!

Handley is my personal favorite other than my biased opinion of my own place. Sherando had nice burgers last time I went. I really liked the set-up at Kettle Run. Millbrook looks just like Skyline(or I guess you have to say Skyline looks just like Millbrook), so I would like that place, except there is a large gauntlet of middle school age students who block the only way to get out, to the restroom, or to the concession stand, from the visitor side.

The worst place I have ever been is Central. Getting wanded at Hopewell was ...different.

Just to put my little 2 cents in it, one of the nicest on campus stadiums I've ever seen is Franklin County. Not one bad seat in the house. It's not as nice as Salem Stadium, but it's in the category below it, which is very very good. GW Danville's stadium could be one of the best in the state after they remodel it next year. Beautiful view of the city from the home side, kind of sits down in a hole and when it's hot there's always a nice breeze off of the Dan River. Atmosphere is a pick and choose type of thing. MV (2013 and this past year), Charlotte Vance (2015), and Courtland (2014) was packed and the atmosphere was amazing. I think when it get renovated and they start to play teams like JF, LCA, Amherst and Salem, the attendance will pick up and it'll be one of the better places to watch a game in the state.

Reactions: wikki
Handley is quite scenic, but holds nowhere near Salem Stadium. It also has a track that puts you further away from action. There are no soccer lines on field in Salem and no track to deal with. It is strictly a football stadium.

I'm looking forward to my first trip to Handley on the 15th. So I guess I can give you a first "timers opinion". I won't hold it against the place, but I don't really like the idea of high school football on Saturday afternoon.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
I'm looking forward to my first trip to Handley on the 15th. So I guess I can give you a first "timers opinion". I won't hold it against the place, but I don't really like the idea of high school football on Saturday afternoon.

The 15th will be an ugly game to watch for the young Judges ... just hope the Warriors play their 2nd and 3rd teams in the 2nd half ... if not, the Judges could physically get beaten up

The Seminole District has some of the best football in the state but some of the crappiest stadiums. City Stadium (Glass/Heritage home field) is probably the best "stadium." The field is less than five years old, brand new digital jumbo screen/scoreboard, plenty of seating in both sides. The negative is the lack of parking and entrances right now due to remodeling. They are in the process of building new home and visitor locker rooms that have a tunnel style entrance to the field.
City Stadium has really improved. But the Seminole has several schools with great stadiums. Amherst - field turf, new track, great concessions and 40 bathrooms of each gender. Rustburg and Brookville fields are nice, the rest not so much. JF has new field turf but the bleachers are horrible, even on the home side and the least restrooms of anyone. Liberty has the worst

Handley is quite scenic, but holds nowhere near Salem Stadium. It also has a track that puts you further away from action. There are no soccer lines on field in Salem and no track to deal with. It is strictly a football stadium.
When City Stadium is finished I will like it better than Salem because of the scoreboard which is much nicer. The field turf is gorgeous. Not sure how the concessions are but Salem is way too expensive compared to other schools and it wasn't even good

The 15th will be an ugly game to watch for the young Judges ... just hope the Warriors play their 2nd and 3rd teams in the 2nd half ... if not, the Judges could physically get beaten up

Yeah, I expect that. But it is the only chance I could find to get up there. I'm just looking forward to getting together with some of my friends from here on Preps.

City Stadium has really improved. But the Seminole has several schools with great stadiums. Amherst - field turf, new track, great concessions and 40 bathrooms of each gender. Rustburg and Brookville fields are nice, the rest not so much. JF has new field turf but the bleachers are horrible, even on the home side and the least restrooms of anyone. Liberty has the worst

JF will be getting the new track installed in May 2017. Hopefully by then the money will be raised for new bleachers, concessions and restrooms.

Reactions: wikki
JF will be getting the new track installed in May 2017. Hopefully by then the money will be raised for new bleachers, concessions and restrooms.
Good because I do not like going there to watch football. Amherst had there track re-surfaced this year and it really looks nice

Louisa also had their track re-surfaced before last season, looks great. I would like us to have larger visitor bleachers, but visitors normally don't fill the current ones up anyway.

When City Stadium is finished I will like it better than Salem because of the scoreboard which is much nicer. The field turf is gorgeous. Not sure how the concessions are but Salem is way too expensive compared to other schools and it wasn't even good
I thought we were rating stadiums not food. If I want to rate food I'll go to a restaurant. There is no other stadium west of Richmond that is even in the same league as Salem. Capacity, Seating close to field, field turf, great parking all without peer at Salem Stadium. It is not on the campus at Salem high if you want to hold that against it, but Salem does not share that stadium with any other school or sport.

Reactions: salemfan32
I thought we were rating stadiums not food. If I want to rate food I'll go to a restaurant. There is no other stadium west of Richmond that is even in the same league as Salem. Capacity, Seating close to field, field turf, great parking all without peer at Salem Stadium. It is not on the campus at Salem high if you want to hold that against it, but Salem does not share that stadium with any other school or sport.
Geez didn't mean to hit a nerve. I was basing the entire stadium on everything that goes along with it. Your own fans have talked about the concessions there. City stadium will be the best once it is complete in my opinion. You have a beautiful stadium of course but not the best in my opinion

Good topic. I started a similar thread a couple of years ago, asking posters how many different venues they had visited for high school games (I'm at forty-one now). We got a lot of good feedback about many different venues in that thread. I'll try to recreate my own comments:

Best on-campus stadiums
~William Fleming HS - nice field; pretty good parking situation; decent-size visitors seating; concessions and permanent restrooms right there on the visitors side - a real rarity (and treat!) for high school stadiums.
~John Champe
~Pulaski County
~Sherando
~Turner Ashby - it's been since the '98 state championship game, but I remember being favorably impressed.
Most scenic stadiums
~Mitchell Stadium, Bluefield, WV - the only out-of-state venue on my list, this is probably also the most dramatic, with one end of the stadium cut right into the mountain. All that's missing is torches around the top of the stands.
~Glenvar HS - if you never visited Highlander Heaven before all the expansion began and the woods started disappearing, you missed out. The stadium sits on the southern foot of Fort Lewis Mtn., with great views to the south from the home side.
~Bath County HS

I have to agree with VolNation85 concerning the Seminole District facilities. Due to the challenges with parking, limited visitor seating, and visitor accommodations, I won't even consider going to Amherst, to cite one example, for a regular season game anymore (didn't go last year). If Salem goes there for this season's playoffs, I'll be staying home again if Gameday has it on the interwebs. At my age, I just don't care to wrassle with the hassle.

BTW - does anyone know where the old Clifton Forge High, that became a middle school in '83 and is now closed, used to play their football games? There's a baseball stadium right beside the building that might have accommodated a football field also, but it looks as if it would have really been shoehorned in.

Geez didn't mean to hit a nerve. I was basing the entire stadium on everything that goes along with it. Your own fans have talked about the concessions there. City stadium will be the best once it is complete in my opinion. You have a beautiful stadium of course but not the best in my opinion
In my opinion you could not be more wrong. You said you like the score board. I think because it shows pictures of individual players. I hope to God that Salem does not do that. Don't like names on jerseys either. All we want is Salem on the front of the jersey and nothing else. In comparing the two stadiums you must point out that two schools share city stadium in Lynchburg. Not true in Salem

Good topic. I started a similar thread a couple of years ago, asking posters how many different venues they had visited for high school games (I'm at forty-one now). We got a lot of good feedback about many different venues in that thread. I'll try to recreate my own comments:

Best on-campus stadiums
~William Fleming HS - nice field; pretty good parking situation; decent-size visitors seating; concessions and permanent restrooms right there on the visitors side - a real rarity (and treat!) for high school stadiums.
~John Champe
~Pulaski County
~Sherando
~Turner Ashby - it's been since the '98 state championship game, but I remember being favorably impressed.
Most scenic stadiums
~Mitchell Stadium, Bluefield, WV - the only out-of-state venue on my list, this is probably also the most dramatic, with one end of the stadium cut right into the mountain. All that's missing is torches around the top of the stands.
~Glenvar HS - if you never visited Highlander Heaven before all the expansion began and the woods started disappearing, you missed out. The stadium sits on the southern foot of Fort Lewis Mtn., with great views to the south from the home side.
~Bath County HS

I have to agree with VolNation85 concerning the Seminole District facilities. Due to the challenges with parking, limited visitor seating, and visitor accommodations, I won't even consider going to Amherst, to cite one example, for a regular season game anymore (didn't go last year). If Salem goes there for this season's playoffs, I'll be staying home again if Gameday has it on the interwebs. At my age, I just don't care to wrassle with the hassle.

BTW - does anyone know where the old Clifton Forge High, that became a middle school in '83 and is now closed, used to play their football games? There's a baseball stadium right beside the building that might have accommodated a football field also, but it looks as if it would have really been shoehorned in.
No big deal if you come or not. I support my team no matter where they play. My favorite stadium is William Fleming and the City Stadium

Too seriously compare William Fleming to Salem is ludicrous. Not in same league. To hold that opinion is to lose all credibility on this subject. I think your anti Salem bias is showing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT