Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Louisa

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Lake Taylor

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Amherst

Votes: 12 21.1%

• Total voters
No disrespect to any of these teams but I want to see a Louisa/Dinwiddie East Final and the winner of that game play the winner of Salem/Amherst for the state championship. BN and DP are the most humble people I know because if I had a player the same caliber of Tye Freeland, I'd definitely think my team could beat any team. Throw in Pope (on offense and defense), that fast and physical defensive line, huge o-line, underrated running game, and the signal caller in Bryce Witt (who reminds me so much of former GW QB Hunter Byrnes. Tough, "the General", gun slinger), this team is IMO the best team in the state. Louisa will have a say in the East as well as the Titans from LT. I still think Amherst is the best team in the West. You just don't go into Salem Stadium and beat the defending state champs and not be Elite.

Reactions: wikki
I'm not affiliated with any of those teams but there is no chance all 5 of those teams are better than Salem. I would say 1 Dinwiddie 2 Lake Taylor after that is a toss up.
Well Amherst deserves it because they beat Salem

No disrespect to any of these teams but I want to see a Louisa/Dinwiddie East Final and the winner of that game play the winner of Salem/Amherst for the state championship. BN and DP are the most humble people I know because if I had a player the same caliber of Tye Freeland, I'd definitely think my team could beat any team. Throw in Pope (on offense and defense), that fast and physical defensive line, huge o-line, underrated running game, and the signal caller in Bryce Witt (who reminds me so much of former GW QB Hunter Byrnes. Tough, "the General", gun slinger), this team is IMO the best team in the state. Louisa will have a say in the East as well as the Titans from LT. I still think Amherst is the best team in the West. You just don't go into Salem Stadium and beat the defending state champs and not be Elite.
Thanks DanvilleSportsHead

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Biased oppinion here, but the wild card in the west right now Is PC. Thats the one team I see that could take down Amherst and Salem. I give the nod to those two right now as the top teams in the west with PC as a big question mark. Even after this Friday I don't think we'll know if Pulaski is a contendor. We may know if they are not with a loss but would a dominating win propel them in the discussion with Amherst and Salem? I don't think so.....

Thanks DanvilleSportsHead
Wikki my dad is in love with Amherst's team this year lol. He was coming to the Glass game last Friday until I convinced him to go to the Page/East Forsyth game in Greensboro, NC. He claims this Amherst team is very similar to those Peter Rose/Derrick McCoy/Alonzo Poe teams. Is this true? (I wanted to get a prospective from an insider)

Wikki my dad is in love with Amherst's team this year. Was coming to the Glass game last Friday until I convinced him to go to the Page/East Forsyth game in Greensboro, NC. He claims this Amherst team is very similar to those Peter Rose/Derrick McCoy/Alonzo Poe teams. Is that true?
A few people have said that, Peter Rose and Derrick McCoy are hard to beat. I will let you know my opinion after a couple more games. They are good though. A Glass staff person couldn't believe how fast they were. But like you said, go into Salem stadium after them winning a state championship game and beat them says a whole lot.

If and I said if, Dinwiddie wins this week and is able to play well against a very physical Thomas Dale team I will then offer my honest opinion. The Generals have played well, but there is a ton of work still to do. Right now I believe Louisa and Lake Taylor are good choices in the east. Even if (that if again) we finish 10-0, I don't think we will earn enough points to earn home field advantage and these two teams are tough to beat at home. Amherst and Woodgrove in the west. If Salem continues their winning ways they will be a threat to repeat. Just have to do it on the road.

As usual, I still don't know enough about Lafeyette, but they are always in the mix. Same thing with Eastern View and Pulaski. Will not discount them, nor will I go out on a limb for them.

Biased oppinion here, but the wild card in the west right now Is PC. Thats the one team I see that could take down Amherst and Salem. I give the nod to those two right now as the top teams in the west with PC as a big question mark. Even after this Friday I don't think we'll know if Pulaski is a contendor. We may know if they are not with a loss but would a dominating win propel them in the discussion with Amherst and Salem? I don't think so.....

I agree that Pulaski Co. has not been given due respect on this forum thus far this season. If Salem were playing down there this week, I would probably give the edge to the Cougars. My hope is that the Spartans will get their best offensive lineman back within a few weeks, the whole line will continue to gel, and the defense will continue to improve. That should have us ready for the trip to Dublin, and the playoffs beyond. That is my hope, anyway. We'll see what actually happens.

Reactions: mike salem
Wikki my dad is in love with Amherst's team this year lol. He was coming to the Glass game last Friday until I convinced him to go to the Page/East Forsyth game in Greensboro, NC. He claims this Amherst team is very similar to those Peter Rose/Derrick McCoy/Alonzo Poe teams. Is this true? (I wanted to get a prospective from an insider)

God knows I'm not an Amherst insider, but as someone who saw them both - that is, the '06/'07 Lancers and this year's Lancers - I would say the current Lancers are nowhere close to those two earlier squads. In my very humble opinion.

@SpartanOfYore I agree after watching the Amherst/Salem game on Gameday Magazine, and that was a couple of weeks after re-watching Louisa/Amherst so it was still fresh in my mind. That could change a little as this season progresses and the offense/defense gets better.

God knows I'm not an Amherst insider, but as someone who saw them both - that is, the '06/'07 Lancers and this year's Lancers - I would say the current Lancers are nowhere close to those two earlier squads. In my very humble opinion.
Like I said I am not sure yet, but things will have to improve for them to be that good. They were the best I think of all the Amherst teams. Peter Rose was overall one of the best around. Derrick McCoy rarely dropped a ball, I thought sometimes he had glue on his hand.

Having seen full games of Woodgrove, Salem, and Amherst, I'd say Woodgrove is the best overall team in the West, while Amherst is the fastest/most athletic.

Pulaski doesn't have the speed to keep up with Amherst or Salem...imo. I think Blacksburg will beat Pulaski whenever they play and none of this is meant as disrespect to the Cougars. We will know more about the Cougars this week they play an athletic PH team.

Last edited:
If Salem can stay healthy and get some of their already injured back (reports are that they will), they should be playing their best football come playoff time. Baring more injuries, this will be a very very difficult team to handle.

Reactions: salemfan32
I'm not affiliated with any of those teams but there is no chance all 5 of those teams are better than Salem. I would say 1 Dinwiddie 2 Lake Taylor after that is a toss up.
2014 Lake Taylor is the best team I've seen in Virginia since I moved here 3 years ago. After what they did to Salem that year I must say that Salem beating them last year like they did is the biggest upset in the finals that I know about in any state in at least the last 15 or so years.
The best team I've seen this year is, hands down, Amherst. But I saw them play Rockbridge County, so I don't really have a handle on how good they really are. They seem to have good foot speed overall. Going to Salem's field and beating them is impressive too. The team I follow on a regular basis is a class A team, so my body of work in 3A and 4A is limited right now.

Last edited:
LT 2014, is a very good choice, but its so hard to compare state championship teams. I prefer the 1982 GW Danville and 2012 LT teams.

Beating Salem in foreign territory was certainly a big win for Amherst. They appear to have the athletes and put up big offensive numbers, so time will tell. Have watched as many highlights on them as I could find and I am impressed with the Lancers.

Last edited:
I agree that Pulaski Co. has not been given due respect on this forum thus far this season. If Salem were playing down there this week, I would probably give the edge to the Cougars. My hope is that the Spartans will get their best offensive lineman back within a few weeks, the whole line will continue to gel, and the defense will continue to improve. That should have us ready for the trip to Dublin, and the playoffs beyond. That is my hope, anyway. We'll see what actually happens.
They still have to earn that respect after the seasons they put together a few years ago. I think they're getting there. I don't think Pulaski is lacking in the speed department, they may not be as fast as other teams but they do have speed, Their offense is built on power, like teams of the past those teams faired pretty well against the competition.

LT 2014, is a very good choice, but its so hard to compare state championship teams. I prefer the 1982 GW Danville and 2012 LT teams.

Beating Salem in foreign territory was certainly a big win for Amherst. They appear to have the athletes and put up big offensive numbers, so time will tell. Have watched as many highlights on them as I could find and I am impressed with the Lancers.
They still have to earn that respect after the seasons they put together a few years ago. I think they're getting there. I don't think Pulaski is lacking in the speed department, they may not be as fast as other teams but they do have speed, Their offense is built on power, like teams of the past those teams faired pretty well against the competition.

Oh stop it please.The old Amherst team would win by 20pts easily.This Amherst team is so different from anything Amherst has had in the past.No Amherst skill player runs harder than Peter Rose,faster than Poe and what WR compares to McCoy.Peter Rose had 1800 yards rushing another 1200 passing.Amherst had 2 other backs over 1000 yards and McCoy had 900 yards Rec,enough said.Just in case that wasn't enough,the defense was special also_Only Salem and a David Wilson led G.W team scored over 15pts against Amherst defense the entire year.Can you imagine Peter against Amherst defense this year,he would get 400 yards by halftime.If that wasn't enough you have to mention Abell name and that great coaching staff..Amherst is good this year and they can beat anybody in 4a but I don't like the way they are winning and until they get their defense right they won't win 4a this year.The only thing this Amherst team has over past teams is their size but not sure they are stronger.Jonathan,Peter and Anthony Rose still a big part of Amherst football and they would tell you the same thing.

Oh stop it please.The old Amherst team would win by 20pts easily.This Amherst team is so different from anything Amherst has had in the past.No Amherst skill player runs harder than Peter Rose,faster than Poe and what WR compares to McCoy.Peter Rose had 1800 yards rushing another 1200 passing.Amherst had 2 other backs over 1000 yards and McCoy had 900 yards Rec,enough said.Just in case that wasn't enough,the defense was special also_Only Salem and a David Wilson led G.W team scored over 15pts against Amherst defense the entire year.Can you imagine Peter against Amherst defense this year,he would get 400 yards by halftime.If that wasn't enough you have to mention Abell name and that great coaching staff..Amherst is good this year and they can beat anybody in 4a but I don't like the way they are winning and until they get their defense right they won't win 4a this year.The only thing this Amherst team has over past teams is their size but not sure they are stronger.Jonathan,Peter and Anthony Rose still a big part of Amherst football and they would tell you the same thing.
I saw that team play probably 6 times that year compared to zero this season..I was just asking, I didn't know...I never claimed to be an expert.

Last edited:
Please don't think I was coming at you in a negative way DSH.I heard the talk from Amherst fans also,but I think they need to pump the brakes on that topic.
No harm nor any hard feelings my friend. I'm no expert lol I know I can come off grandiose at times due to my lack of football knowledge and associating programs off of 3-4 players. I'm just happy to see Amherst back to tell you the truth. You're 100% correct, Amherst from 06-09 were special teams. Should've won 4 straight. I'm happy that the Lancers are back and I hope they can stay on top for a while.

Amherst is winning and you don't like the way they win? You have also called them out for losing seems like you have an axe to burn. I have seen both Amherst teams play and yes the Peter Rose era was a special time and I don't think this team compares to that. You praise Abell and staff for the job they did and yes it takes a good coach to win it all, but his Jimmy and Joes were pretty doggone special.

No harm nor any hard feelings my friend. I'm no expert lol I know I can come off grandiose at times due to my lack of football knowledge and associating programs off of 3-4 players. I'm just happy to see Amherst back to tell you the truth. You're 100% correct, Amherst from 06-09 were special teams. Should've won 4 straight. I'm happy that the Lancers are back and I hope they can stay on top for a while.
Actually your one of the smartest poster on this board.I try and read everything you,DP,Mike Salem and HoosFan and a few has to post,cause yall are smart,humble and respectful.I used to post more years ago but I had someone from another school made fun of my lack of English.

Amherst is winning and you don't like the way they win? You have also called them out for losing seems like you have an axe to burn. I have seen both Amherst teams play and yes the Peter Rose era was a special time and I don't think this team compares to that. You praise Abell and staff for the job they did and yes it takes a good coach to win it all, but his Jimmy and Joes were pretty doggone special.
Say what?I don't like giving up 40pts to Salem when Byrd only gave up 20 the next week.I don't like that LCA had about 300 yards passing against Amherst.I know these kids and they don't want to win the regular season Championship and lose deep in playoffs.They want to win it all and until their defense improves they won't.I'm sorry but defense wins Championships and you can't give up 30pts a game and expect to beat Dinwiddie and a few others,im just being honest no axe to grind.

Reactions: one man
This team is very good this year and will win many more. Let's just give them the credit they deserve they are a hard working team that doesn't give up and Coach Philips is doing an excellent job

Last edited:
Actually your one of the smartest poster on this board.I try and read everything you,DP,Mike Salem and HoosFan and a few has to post,cause yall are smart,humble and respectful.I used to post more years ago but I had someone from another school made fun of my lack of English.
I thank you and I appreciate that a lot Lineheart. I'm not as sharp on football as I am basketball but I enjoy the board and the friends that come with it. We're glad to have you on here!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
This team is very good this year and will win many more. Let's just give them the credit they deserve they are a hard working team that doesn't have up and Coach Philips is doing an excellent job
Coach Philips gets better each year and I'm so proud of him for sticking through it all.Please read my earlier post when I said they can beat anybody.I just want them to get better on defense and special teams.Special has gotten better each week but I was only comparing them to 06\07 team.

Small world too, Louisa's Brandon Smith's father Rico played at Ferrum with Coach Philips and said he's a tough son-of-a-gun.

Thanks @Lineheart I appreciate it. Don't let anyone stop you from posting. It's hard to stop anyway because of our love for the game. My friend who was a receiver on the 06 Louisa team said Amherst had linemen running beside him haha. He said, "Where did these boys come from?"
If you push the Amherst County line about 3 miles to the south,Nelson County would have had the Rose brothers,Derrick McCoy,Mario Vaughn and from this years team leading RB Jerry Page,Jordan Woolfolk and TE Derrick Spencer and QB Turner.Some really good players in Frank Ross and C.J Rose will be up next year live near that area.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT