ADVERTISEMENT

Big games in 4D this week

VolNation85

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 29, 2013
There are several key games in 4D this week with playoff positioning on the line. 6 of the 8 teams play another team in the region with the exception of Salem and Glass. They play Martinsburg and Liberty-Bedford respectively.

Pulaski @ Blacksburg
Halifax @ GW
Amherst @ JF

There will definitely be some shake up in the standings.

You're exactly right about the shakeup! Does anyone have the updated standings? Curious to see if the 2,4,6 seeds just leap frogged the 1,3,5 seeds.

Reactions: VolNation85
Also notable, Northside beating Franklin county. Salem got 2 points either way, but Glass gets 0 points.
I believe Glass still gets one point for the loss. Two points for a defeated opponent's win but only one for a defeated opponent's loss.

Reactions: lyhsports
I believe Glass still gets one point for the loss. Two points for a defeated opponent's win but only one for a defeated opponent's loss.

As I understand, teams get zero bonus points for defeated opponents’ losses. The one point situation only applies in situations like Salem-Martinsburg, for example. Since Martinsburg defeated Salem, Salem will receive one bonus point for every game Martinsburg wins. If Salem loses another game from this point, Martinsburg would not get any bonus points for that particular Salem game.

I hope I’m using the word “bonus” correctly here. I think “bonus” points are the same as “rider” points, but that’s always been a bit confusing.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolNation85
As I understand, teams get zero bonus points for defeated opponents’ losses. The one point situation only applies in situations like Salem-Martinsburg, for example. Since Martinsburg defeated Salem, Salem will receive one bonus point for every game Martinsburg wins. If Salem loses another game from this point, Martinsburg would not get any bonus points for that particular Salem game.

I hope I’m using the word “bonus” correctly here. I think “bonus” points are the same as “rider” points, but that’s always been a bit confusing.
I've been using "bonus" to denote playing outside your classification and "rider" for points from opponents wins. However VHSL just gives however many points the class is worth if you play "up" and calls everything bonus points if you play "down".
Example: If you look at Orange week 7 vs C'ville. Orange gets 20 for beating a C3 team and 2 "bonus" points for playing "down". They get no other bonus points because C'ville is winless.
Example 2: EV beat James Monroe. They get 20 for beating the C3 team, 2 for playing down, and 8 for JM's for wins for a total of 10 "bonus" points.

And yes, you are correct. You get 2 points for every win of a defeated opponent and 1 point for every win of an opponent you lost to. You get nothing for your opponents losing.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
I'm not sure there will be any changes out of 4-8, but the top 3 is up for grabs. The only regular season threat EC Glass has left is Heritage. That will be a huge game, lots of bonus points on the line for both teams. Salem has Pulaski and PH. If Salem wins both, they clinch #1. Pulaski needs to win out and get help from Heritage to finish#1. If Glass beats Heritage (which they will), I'm not sure it will be enough points to get them over a 1 loss Salem, just not enough bonus points from the teams on their schedule. Doesn't really matter though, I think they would dominate any of the 4-8 seeds. I think it will end with
1. EC Glass
2. Pulaski
3. Salem

I'm not sure there will be any changes out of 4-8, but the top 3 is up for grabs. The only regular season threat EC Glass has left is Heritage. That will be a huge game, lots of bonus points on the line for both teams. Salem has Pulaski and PH. If Salem wins both, they clinch #1. Pulaski needs to win out and get help from Heritage to finish#1. If Glass beats Heritage (which they will), I'm not sure it will be enough points to get them over a 1 loss Salem, just not enough bonus points from the teams on their schedule. Doesn't really matter though, I think they would dominate any of the 4-8 seeds. I think it will end with
1. EC Glass
2. Pulaski
3. Salem
Little correction- Salem has Hidden Valley & Pulaski to end the season. They've already played PH.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT