ADVERTISEMENT

Big week for LCA

Oct 19, 2015
it's a big week for LCA as they play their first district opponent in rustburg as part of the Seminole district. This is a historic game for the school and state of Virginia. I know that LCA has invited back all the former players and coaches to join the team on the field for the coin toss. It should be a fun and exciting game

Understand. I'm beginning to think that LCA may be a fairly special team this year. Certainly should make the playoffs, and some noise.

Like to know which players you think they got though recruiting? You would think if the recruited they'd have more than 31 kids and more than like 8 lineman
They might not now and can't anymore but they did several years ago. I actually saw a letter to two Amherst players from the parent

Last edited:
They recruit in football and baseball for sure. People would probably respect them more if they just owned the fact before they got into the VHSL.

Like to know which players you think they got though recruiting? You would think if the recruited they'd have more than 31 kids and more than like 8 lineman

They still have some 5th year seniors and I'm sure a few on the grandfathered LU scholarship program. The program is now dwindling because they can't offer the incentives but the grandfathered players remain.

Reactions: wikki and catchtds
They recruit in football and baseball for sure. People would probably respect them more if they just owned the fact before they got into the VHSL.

Exactly! They denied it even though anyone around the sport knew it was happening. I've been told one of our kids was recruited heavy by them and I know we've lost kids int he past to them (some now in the NFL).
If they just admitted it they wouldn't have the bad blood with some they do now. Well.....bad blood still just not AS BAD.

And they do have 5th year seniors and will still have some in future.

Isn't there a 19 year old age deal for the VHSL??? Asking, as I have no idea.

Exactly! They denied it even though anyone around the sport knew it was happening. I've been told one of our kids was recruited heavy by them and I know we've lost kids int he past to them (some now in the NFL).
If they just admitted it they wouldn't have the bad blood with some they do now. Well.....bad blood still just not AS BAD.

And they do have 5th year seniors and will still have some in future.

Isn't there a 19 year old age deal for the VHSL??? Asking, as I have no idea.
The VHSL rule is simply that you can not turn 19 before Aug. 1. I'm not sure about now but, this rule didn't apply to LCA two seasons ago as they were in a "probation period" with VHSL. I'm pretty sure that Now that they are full fledged VHSL any student enrolling AFTER the 2015 school year has to meet VHSL requirements. So if a kid was enrolled before the 2015 school year, he could very well be over the VHSL accepted age. I would guess that there aren't many students, if any, that fall into this category. IMO a 19 year old kid isn't necessarily any more physically or mentally mature than a 16, 17, or 18 year old so, I don't know if they would even make a difference.

My biggest complaint of LCA being in the VHSL is that their "school zone" encompasses the entire city of Lynchburg. So if a kid lives within city limits of Lynchburg he is eligible to attend LCA (assuming they can afford to pay). Whereas, EC Glass and Heritage have very specific and restricted zoning from which they can draw kids.

The VHSL rule is simply that you can not turn 19 before Aug. 1. I'm not sure about now but, this rule didn't apply to LCA two seasons ago as they were in a "probation period" with VHSL. I'm pretty sure that Now that they are full fledged VHSL any student enrolling AFTER the 2015 school year has to meet VHSL requirements. So if a kid was enrolled before the 2015 school year, he could very well be over the VHSL accepted age. I would guess that there aren't many students, if any, that fall into this category. IMO a 19 year old kid isn't necessarily any more physically or mentally mature than a 16, 17, or 18 year old so, I don't know if they would even make a difference.

My biggest complaint of LCA being in the VHSL is that their "school zone" encompasses the entire city of Lynchburg. So if a kid lives within city limits of Lynchburg he is eligible to attend LCA (assuming they can afford to pay). Whereas, EC Glass and Heritage have very specific and restricted zoning from which they can draw kids.

I would say that most kids at 19 are miles ahead of where they were when they were 17.
Not sure how many they would have but that would make a difference if there were enough of them. Just like a red shirt year in high school.

Yea the whole Lynchburg area is pretty big. At least they are curtailed from the surrounding counties now (if they follow the rules).

IMO a 19 year old kid isn't necessarily any more physically or mentally mature than a 16, 17, or 18 year old so, I don't know if they would even make a difference.

There is a HUGE difference in most 19 year olds and 16-18 year olds. Especially with another year of experience.

Their school zone used to encompass the entire globe.... Not sure if any of those kids are still in the program.

Yeah the draw from the "whole city" zone but the took a multiplier of 1.5 to each kid. That's why they are in 4a. Their enrollment without the multiples would make them a 3a and a very small 3a to be exact. And even with the multipler they are on the line of 4a and 3a. So while yes it's nice being able to pull kids from the whole city but now you have to play in 4a when you enrollement is actually ok the line of 3a/2a

Reactions: mbonape1
My knowledge isn't from a letter but direct communication. One time it was a coach the other was from an administrator.

I know it still makes me mad

I would love to see these letters, I've always heard of them but I have never seen one produced
It was years ago, I saw it believe me. The parent brought it to a game and showed it to several people. I wish I would have been able to copy it believe me. The mom turned them down.

Yeah the draw from the "whole city" zone but the took a multiplier of 1.5 to each kid. That's why they are in 4a. Their enrollment without the multiples would make them a 3a and a very small 3a to be exact. And even with the multipler they are on the line of 4a and 3a. So while yes it's nice being able to pull kids from the whole city but now you have to play in 4a when you enrollement is actually ok the line of 3a/2a

The benefits of playing 5th year seniors and recruits FAR outweigh playing up a level. Just look at the LCA "State Championship*" baseball team of last year.....

Reactions: wikki
First let me say that I am NOT an LCA fan. I find it funny that people talk as if LCA is the only school to have ever "recruited" a kid from another school. Not saying it's right but, it happens all the time at most schools across the VHSL. The only difference between LCA and the other schools is that, LCA was allowed to "recruit" players (up until 2015) since they are a private school. It's not their fault that the VHSL allowed them to join the league. Don't blame the schools, blame the system.

And I'm not trying to say LCA did or didn't because I have no idea. I've heard so much stuff I don't know what's true but the kids I've met that transferred to LCA, it was because they either got kicked out of their school and LCA was giving them a second chance or they had a problem with the coach/playing time. Then you had the lu scholarship which was the deal of the century. But LCA has been very successful over many years so I think that attracted kids, LCA has more kids playing on Saturdays than any other school in the area. So it's the field of dreams concept, "build it and they will come".
But like vol said in the past, private schools were able to and it was legal. public schools it was not even though many teams had kids the "moved" to their area from other local and vhsl schools but no one dares bring that up. But since they joined the vhsl they abided by all rules and as far as 5th year seniors, they have one that I know of right now but he is only 18. But do you punish the kid for something out of his control. Not his fault that the visaa and vhsl have different rules. And what if this kid is getting recruited and has to sit out a year, how is it his fault when it all happened before joining the vhsl. So you can't punish him, this will be the last of the 5th year seniors anyways.

First let me say that I am NOT an LCA fan. I find it funny that people talk as if LCA is the only school to have ever "recruited" a kid from another school. Not saying it's right but, it happens all the time at most schools across the VHSL. The only difference between LCA and the other schools is that, LCA was allowed to "recruit" players (up until 2015) since they are a private school. It's not their fault that the VHSL allowed them to join the league. Don't blame the schools, blame the system.
That's one of the most rediculous comments I have ever heard. There is absolutely no recruiting going on in a Frederick County , Virginia. I have been around here sadly , for decades. Do players move ? Yes . Do players want to move because they think they will get to play a position they want? Sometimes. Do Parents move for various reasons? all the time. But I have never heard of any coach , associate, or anyone in this area seeking out a player and trying to get him to come to the school. The reason LCA recruits is not to always be better in sports. it's because of money! Which in my mind makes it even more rediculous they are allowed in the VHSL. They had enough money , and they knew the VHSL couldn't fight them. that is a bully mentality. I do blame the system! The system that allows a private Religious school with a lot of money and be like us attitude, to bully there way into program that is based on equal opportunity. We all have to live with it now, so be it. We don't have to like it. The best thing we can do , is hope for every team in the Seminole and beyond kicks the crap out of them and beyond. Make them regret the day they wanted in the VHSL. GO RUSTBURG!

And I'm not trying to say LCA did or didn't because I have no idea. I've heard so much stuff I don't know what's true but the kids I've met that transferred to LCA, it was because they either got kicked out of their school and LCA was giving them a second chance or they had a problem with the coach/playing time. Then you had the lu scholarship which was the deal of the century. But LCA has been very successful over many years so I think that attracted kids, LCA has more kids playing on Saturdays than any other school in the area. So it's the field of dreams concept, "build it and they will come".
But like vol said in the past, private schools were able to and it was legal. public schools it was not even though many teams had kids the "moved" to their area from other local and vhsl schools but no one dares bring that up. But since they joined the vhsl they abided by all rules and as far as 5th year seniors, they have one that I know of right now but he is only 18. But do you punish the kid for something out of his control. Not his fault that the visaa and vhsl have different rules. And what if this kid is getting recruited and has to sit out a year, how is it his fault when it all happened before joining the vhsl. So you can't punish him, this will be the last of the 5th year seniors anyways.
Top two bolded statements: Kinda funny they have some kids who had trouble with coaches or playing time AND they are the ones playing on Saturdays......
I would say the trouble with the coach was the coach had to sit the kids because of grades because of VHSL rules.

Also pretty sure (not positive) that you have another that "re-classified" when he transferred to LCA.

Don't blame schools for disliking LCA when they were recruiting kids from those schools, then wanting to play them and beat them with kids from their own districts.
I've seen how money talks over there.

That's one of the most rediculous comments I have ever heard. There is absolutely no recruiting going on in a Frederick County , Virginia. I have been around here sadly , for decades. Do players move ? Yes . Do players want to move because they think they will get to play a position they want? Sometimes. Do Parents move for various reasons? all the time. But I have never heard of any coach , associate, or anyone in this area seeking out a player and trying to get him to come to the school. The reason LCA recruits is not to always be better in sports. it's because of money! Which in my mind makes it even more rediculous they are allowed in the VHSL. They had enough money , and they knew the VHSL couldn't fight them. that is a bully mentality. I do blame the system! The system that allows a private Religious school with a lot of money and be like us attitude, to bully there way into program that is based on equal opportunity. We all have to live with it now, so be it. We don't have to like it. The best thing we can do , is hope for every team in the Seminole and beyond kicks the crap out of them and beyond. Make them regret the day they wanted in the VHSL. GO RUSTBURG!
Why is this a redicoulous comment? I said, "MOST schools," not all schools. If this does not include Frederick County schools then, kudos to the schools and coaches in your area. Sounds like you guys have more integrity than every other school system in the state.

You mean Build it, offer free LU tuition, let them play an extra year (and an extra year of recruiting) and play with other recruits from around the globe, and they will come....
Exactly, that is what the complaint was from other schools.

Top two bolded statements: Kinda funny they have some kids who had trouble with coaches or playing time AND they are the ones playing on Saturdays......
I would say the trouble with the coach was the coach had to sit the kids because of grades because of VHSL rules.

Also pretty sure (not positive) that you have another that "re-classified" when he transferred to LCA.

Don't blame schools for disliking LCA when they were recruiting kids from those schools, then wanting to play them and beat them with kids from their own districts.
I've seen how money talks over there.
They did reclassify when they transferred to LCA

I don't believe that many said they are the only ones to recruit but what they offered no other school could and it wasn't fair.

amen

The benefits of playing 5th year seniors and recruits FAR outweigh playing up a level. Just look at the LCA "State Championship*" baseball team of last year.....
Yes true and I know several JF players and families that were very upset at that

Yes true and I know several JF players and families that were very upset at that

Not only for JF (where most of their players lived) but what would it be like to be on a great team, with friends you played with your entire life, dreaming of winning a state championship. You get to the big game and get beat by a team loaded with older players and recruits. How many teams got eliminated along the way? It's pretty sad.

LCA recruiting and still taking at least 3-4 l's this year.
They already have two losses so if they lose 1 or 2 in the district, that's pretty good considering it's their first year in the district. If you make it through the Seminole this year with only 1 loss then that's nothing to be ashamed off. Especially when one loss in the district will likely give you a chance to be district champs. Just saying, I'm not sure what your point is.

My point is that they should not be in the vhsl. I was meaning 3-4 loses in Seminole. Thanks for dissecting everything I post. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT