ADVERTISEMENT

Bison Edge Past Riverheads 49-39

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
It was a typical slugfest at RHS tonight between two teams that still appeared to be in football mode. The game was much closer than the final score indicates as the Gladiators went to the foul line trailing 38-37 with a chance to tie at the three minute mark before running out of gas.

The game is actually pretty easy to sum up, as Riverheads hit five three-pointers in the first half, including three from Brett Hostetler, and took as much as a four-point lead, but then just went stone cold in the second half, only scoring 16 total points and failing to hit again from outside, despite a number of desperation attempts down the stretch. The Bison meanwhile never connected from behind the arc, but got enough hustle points and lucky bounces to come out on top. At the end of both the first and second quarters, the Bison got a buzzer-beating score. It was just that kind of night when the breaks went one way and not the other.

The Gladiator JVs continue to entertain their fans and give us hope for the future as their primarily eighth-grade line-up produced win number three on the young season with a 43-39 victory over the Junior Bison. Unlike the Varsity game, that one was nowhere near as close as the score seems. RHS dominated almost from the opening tip and had as much as a 15 point lead in the fourth quarter before Coach Harris cleared the bench. The Bison were then able to end the game on about a 10-0 run to make it respectable. That late run included an NBA range triple from a Bison crowd favorite who literally came into the game at the last possible minute and drained the shot, his only touch of the game. Grant Painter led the Riverheads attack with 13 points.

The Big Red will have a busy week next week with three games on tap, but after the Wednesday night game, you should hear a collective sigh of relief out of the team. That will be because they will have played four out of their first six games on the road, with those four being their toughest road games of the season..... East Rock, Luray, Page (Tuesday) and Nelson (Wednesday.)

They quite possibly will be 0-6 after that stretch but instead of feeling demoralized, they should understand that the schedule will be much more manageable from that point with some serious chances to pick up a few wins and build their confidence. They will host Wilson on Friday in only their third home game of the year.

Riverheads appears to live and die by the three...just not a Stuarts Draft style lol. Is that accurate or do they hav any inside game at all? Also in their conference in 1A....how do you see them stacking up by seasons end?

Riverheads is definitely in a rebuilding year. They are very young but do show some promise. Also as I have been mentioning in my posts so far, they have a very spunky little JV team that is primarily eighth-graders. So my personal hope is that the coaches on both teams can keep the spirits up and help the guys see that they are building for the future. If the quality young players stick with it and develop well, we might be having quite a different discussion about RHS two to three years from now.

To answer your question, our center is 6'5" but does not have a great deal of mobility or hops to his game. However he did have a nice game against Nelson with 14 points so he might come along. We also have a wide body, who is about 6'1" and gets quite a few rebounds and the occasional garbage bucket. Finally one of our freshmen starters is probably about 6'2" and in my opinion is one of those players who just hasn't realized yet how good he really can be. So he bangs around a good bit inside as well, even though his best potential is on the wing as a three-point shooter.

As I mentioned in this Buffalo Gap post, once the Big Red gets past Page and Nelson on the road this week, their schedule gets much easier. They have series left with Bath, Parry McCluer, and Stonewall, all of which have their own problems and should give us some chances to pick up some wins and build a little confidence. And of course there is always the chance of sneaking out a win over one of our other district rivals. Last year for example, we won at Wilson to just about everybody's surprise and we have knocked off Stuarts Draft and its run and gun game the last three times they have come to Riverheads.

Is it going to be a banner year.......probably not. Which probably means we won't go very deep in the post-season either. But I have no doubt that the effort will be there and that the future goals are set.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT