ADVERTISEMENT

Blacksburg coaches esignation

OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
Way way too many resignations this year. Apparently this is old news but this is crazy. Was something going on? It appeared he might of stayed at Blacksburg for sometime

Last edited:
Well you could tell even before last year he was going to be a hot commodity. I figured he'd be around till 2019 finished so this is a bit earlier but not by much.

Reactions: OCBoy
As has been pointed out in the other thread, the conference Wells is going to is the deepest and toughest in North Carolina. Six of the eight teams in the conference made the playoffs last season with three of those six reached the state final-4.

My brother has lived in that area for 20 years. Virginia doesn't have anything by way of sheer volume to match up to North Carolina. The competitive balance is off the charts. Virginia has great, solid programs but North Carolina is much deeper.

Leaving a HC job after just one year is not a smart career move. There are circumstances, like Buzz Edwards at Colonial Heights leaving after one to go home to Ohio to be near his parents, (failing health). But, to leave to just grab the brass ring after all of the promises that have to be made when you become a head coach, is just not cool. I would be very reluctant to consider a coaching candidate that was applying for a HC job after only being in a HC job for a year. I would expect him to bolt from my program for the next "glorious" opportunity just as quickly. Extenuating circumstances excepted, I want proven commitment and loyalty.

Mooresville officially announced the hiring of coach wells tonight. The players seem to have really liked him a lot after meeting with him.

As for reasons for leaving... I’m simply assuming it was more money. I’m not sure the type of $ Blacksburg can offer... but I do know we are usually one of the top dollar schools in NC (not counting private schools). Still can’t compete with that SC/GA kinda money but close enough

If Blacksburg is smart, they go after Brandon Johnson at Bassett. His offense led Magna Vista to 2 state championships.
Sorry guys, but Brandon Johnson did not call offensive plays nor defensive plays for the Warriors , he was the LPMS head coach and assistant defensive backfield coach on varsity on Fiday nights. He is a young head coach and will be very good but needs seasoning.

Sorry guys, but Brandon Johnson did not call offensive plays nor defensive plays for the Warriors , he was the LPMS head coach and assistant defensive backfield coach on varsity on Fiday nights. He is a young head coach and will be very good but needs seasoning.
Thanks for the correction. Do you see Bassett getting back to being competitive with GW and Magna Vista and making noise in the playoffs anytime soon?

Thanks for the correction. Do you see Bassett getting back to being competitive with GW and Magna Vista and making noise in the playoffs anytime soon?
If Brandon can get his numbers up, come up with some good linemen and compete with the band , maybe. It's a tough situation for a young coach and will take time and a cultural change , it seems the Bengals expect to lose and it's become a habit. As a old coach I don't think they need to stress winning as much as maybe learning again how not to lose, refusing to lose brings that killer attitude and then the wins will come.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
If Brandon can get his numbers up, come up with some good linemen and compete with the band , maybe. It's a tough situation for a young coach and will take time and a cultural change , it seems the Bengals expect to lose and it's become a habit. As a old coach I don't think they need to stress winning as much as maybe learning again how not to lose, refusing to lose brings that killer attitude and then the wins will come.
Bassett, since they consolidated with F-C, has always had big boys and good team speed. Seems like after Boo Woods and those guys left, Bassett is in the same tier with Patrick County, Tunstall (my alma mater), and Martinsville. Bassett did beat MV back in 2012 and are improving as is Tunstall and Martinsville. Bassett would have a lot better shot to make the playoffs and win on the 3a level. You’re absolutely right, they have bigger boys in their band than they do on their offensive and defensive lines. I believe Johnson will turn the program around, but like you said, it’ll take time.

If Johnson can install a culture of discipline, he will be successful. The common theme I've seen from Bassett prior to last year was an undisciplined team FULL of athletes.

Not taking anything away from BJ, he was a good coach while on the Warrior staff. But there were also 6 other hard working coaches on those state title teams. Bassett is a program that is currently under constructions at and should be good in the PD within the next 3-5 years under Johnson IMO.

Sometimes, it's everything a coaching staff can do to hold their players accountable. I can generally live with that. How some of the coaches endure what they do, for as many years as they do, is amazing. A lot of these poor guys get little or no backing from their principal, or their Superintendent. (DSH, I can think of at least two schools in the Central District alone that fit this description).

On the flip side of this is how some coaches worry so much about winning, (and their own ego), that they forget the fact that they are supposed to be leaders, teachers, and mentors. A common thread for this type of "winning" approach is that they win big over teams they should beat easily, and get played close by teams that their talent level suggest they should not struggle with. You often see late game and late season disciple be a problem.

And guess what often happens to their kids later down the road, (after football)? Life throws them hurdles and they react the same way they were coached.

Nope, give me a coach that requires disciplined behavior and accountability, and I can live with less wins.

First off, I hope Blacksburg finds a good coach that will continue the winning tradition that has been built by the Bruins. Have really enjoyed watching their dominance the past 2 years at 3A & 4A...that is impressive! I do not care who you are!

who knows with the admin , prob be like the last hire , no Bburg alumni even got an interview.

Reactions: cb2018
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT