ADVERTISEMENT

Blacksburg/LB match up this week. Thoughts?

Sep 26, 2001
I'm wondering if LB can match the skill players and speed Bburg possesses? At the same time I wonder if Bburg can hold their own in the trenches.
Bburg 38-21

Certainly I'm pulling for LB because of the friends I've made out there. Specifically Noah Overstreet's family and Coach Harless. Not to say the fine folks from Blackburg aren't good people, but I've just gotten to know these folks personally.

It looks to me like a game that will be reflected back on as the season progresses. A war that ends in a close margin tells the rest of their opponents that they are in for a battle when their tern comes up. If one team or the other manhandles the other team, well that tells us who is for real.

what does LB have this season ? I know they are very coached , not sure what kinda team they have.

LORD BOTETOURT

Coach: Jamie Harless (sixth season) Record at Lord Botetourt: 44-16 Last season: 8-3, 4-2 (lost in 3A West Region first round)

Returning offensive starters: 8 Returning defensive starters: 7

Players to watch: OL-DL Jesse Hanson (6-5, 295, jr.); TE-DE Noah Overstreet (6-2, 260, sr.); QB Preston Martin (5-10, 165, jr.); RB-CB Kyle Coombe (5-11, 175, sr.); LT-DL Meade Mayo (6-1, 280, sr.); RB Hunter Rice (6-0, 200, fr.); RB Ethan Clower (5-10, 185, soph.); WR-FS Jake Dewease (6-0, 190, jr.); SS Evan Eller (6-0, 190, soph.); FB-TE Dylan Crawford (6-2, 225, sr.).

2016 summary: The Cavaliers cruised to an 8-0 record, averaging 53.4 points per game in their first seven wins, then the wheels completely came off the bus. Botetourt ended the regular season with lopsided losses to William Byrd (54-35) and Staunton River (75-29). The Cavs reached the playoffs for the fifth year in a row, but they bowed out with 54-35 first-round playoff drubbing by Blacksburg.

Outlook: Lord Botetourt ended the 2016 season wondering what happened to its defense. Vast improvement must be made. LB must replace leading rusher Ty Maust, now a Liberty University walk-on, and top receiver Garrison Mayo. Martin got plenty of work at QB last year. He is a threat to run at any time. At tailback, the Cavaliers can use Rice, the son of Botetourt assistant Don Rice; Clower or Wilson Memorial transfer Kyle Coombe. Botetourt is very strong up front. Hanson has an offer from Virginia, while Overstreet has an offer from Navy. The Cavaliers have eight senior starters on defense, led by the ultra-productive Overstreet. With non-district opponents such as Blacksburg and Harrisonburg, finger-pointing at Botetourt’s schedule should end. The Cavs are a lock for a playoff berth. copied and pasted from The Roanoke Times

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Things can change from year to year, but they had no answer for Beck last season. The speed of Bburg played a huge factor in the playoff game.

Yuk Carnac! Please re-check your envelope! (Hey, how many of these young bucks do you think are reading this and thinking, "what in the heck are they talking about?") LOL!

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I dont consider myself old or young just ripening quickly, but I think J. Carson did a bit "Carnac the Magnificent". He wore a big funny hat. Am I correct on this? Darn, I am getting old if I remember this stuff. Next You guys will have Geraldine (aka Flip Wilson) giving us odds. Lol

I dont consider myself old or young just ripening quickly, but I think J. Carson did a bit "Carnac the Magnificent". He wore a big funny hat. Am I correct on this? Darn, I am getting old if I remember this stuff. Next You guys will have Geraldine (aka Flip Wilson) giving us odds. Lol

I asked her, but she told me I don't know her that well.

"Ripe"! That's a perfect description.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Don't get too upset the "Devil made her do it"!

I bet freeatlast and danvillesportshead are googling their tails off right now.
They aren't the only ones old timer! Johnny was on his way out when I was growing up, but you lost me on the other one.

Lol. Flip Wilson was a comedian. He often dressed up as a woman named Geraldine Jones. Her favorite saying was the devil made me do it. Check Youtube. Very funny 70's comedy.

Reactions: mike salem
Good Lord BN/Spartan, we are getting old.

Ok Mike, who always ended their show, "and God Bless!" Hint, he was a spokesman for House of Windsor cigars.

One of the last great comedians of all time. I saw a video of one of his last shows from Vegas. When he finished he made a statement that said it all. He said, "you good folks have been entertained, and had a lot of good laughs for the last hour, and I didn't need to use one single cuss word!"

Blacksburg!!!!LB has a lot of returners but those returners still gave up about 170 points and 1000+ yards of rushing in 3 games to end 2016. LB has a great coach and those kids will be ready to play but Blacksburg has too much speed. I am really interested in how lb will handle there speed because they could be a possible matchup for my pioneer's later on down the road.

It was my understanding LB had some interior line players hurt towards the end of the season, but I agree giving up 1,000+ yards on the ground in 3 games is horrendous.

I watched highlights of the Caveliers defense today and they looked to be more physical. The Overstreet kid is quick off the ball and uses his hands well.

Blacksburg, surely has the speed advantage and are capable of being very diverse. Can LB defend the pass? Not sure they can handle things on the border, but can the Bruins handle the Caveliers pass rush?

I look for this game to be a tight, but higher scoring game. I am sure Coach Harless has addressed the run game defense, but will it be enough. If LB can keep the score down and force Beck to run east and west they stand a chance. My heart says go LB, but my mind says Blacksburg by 10.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Several from the Blacksburg area had already measured their heads for another crown.

Surprise! Past season success means very little.

I know, it's only one game, and the Bruins set a precedent last season. But the sledding goes up a notch after the first 10 games.

Humility is a wonderful thing. It's a lot more palatable when you bring it instead of having it force fed to you.

Several from the Blacksburg area had already measured their heads for another crown.

I know, it's only one game, and the Bruins set a precedent last season. But the sledding goes up a notch after the first 10 games.

Humility is a wonderful thing. It's a lot more palatable when you bring it instead of having it force fed to you.

Wow! Did some Blacksburg fan or fans say something to you in person? Because I don't see anything in this thread that warrants that kind of response. Especially not from our always level-headed, fair-minded DP.

Carnac might say, "May a crazed linebacker wreak havoc in your backfield."

Yes, one Blacksburg fan on this board was confident the Bruins would win this game. I was too, based on the gap between the two last November, and what all Bburg returned. Plus the fact that since LB began their turn-around five years ago, expectations for them seem to have gotten a little overinflated.

All of us who thought Blacksburg would prevail this week were wrong. Great win for LB that, as you correctly predicted at the top of the thread, turned on one mistake - the holding penalty in the end zone. As far as measuring Blacksburg for another crown, I haven't read anything like that on VaPreps. Which makes me think you must have heard or read something somewhere else.

Anyway, you need to forget this game, and start concentrating on how big of an industrial-size barrel of whup-ass the Generals are going to transport up here with them next Friday. It will probably require its own flatbed trailer.

Reactions: cb2018
Anyway, you need to forget this game, and start concentrating on how big of an industrial-size barrel of whup-ass the Generals are going to transport up here with them next Friday. It will probably require its own flatbed trailer.

Y'all calm down. I hope the Generals and Spartans fans can tailgate, and not rumble, in the Salem Stadium parking lot before Friday nights clash!

Will definitely be the best game in the Commonwealth Friday night.

Good Luck to both Programs!

Reactions: mbonape1
Y'all calm down. I hope the Generals and Spartans fans can tailgate, and not rumble, in the Salem Stadium parking lot before Friday nights clash!

Will definitely be the best game in the Commonwealth Friday night.

Good Luck to both Programs!

LOL Too old for rumbling. If you read what I wrote, it indicates that I expect Dinwiddie to roll in here ready to kick some butt. Which I do expect, in all honesty.

I'm just wondering which posts in this thread show the lack of humility that got DP all fired up. Because I'm not seeing it, is all. One Bruin fan picked his own team to win. Not a big shock.

Reactions: Tom Potter
Since DP is driving to the beach I will attempt to respond for him. We have talked about this before so I think i can keep it simple.

His comments were not referring to this thread. It was more of a reference to continued reminders this summer of how Blacksburg was underated in class 4, they were going to come in and contend for title and other things.

Personally, I think he said it well. Maybe some of us class 4 guys have pride in our little world and dont take kindly to someone new coming in roaring like they are king of the mountain.

Kind like yall treated us east guys (Dinwiddie, Monacan and LT) when we started in 4a (2013). It wasn't, so pleasant on the field or on this board. I guess its an etiquette thing. Example: Salem is the king and they waxed us last year. OK, well we (BB) won 3a states, so we should be second best in class. Say what? I guess simply put the arrogance didnt taste good to a normally palatable DP.

Since DP is driving to the beach I will attempt to respond for him. We have talked about this before so I think i can keep it simple.

His comments were not referring to this thread. It was more of a reference to continued reminders this summer of how Blacksburg was underated in class 4, they were going to come in and contend for title and other things.

Personally, I think he said it well. Maybe some of us class 4 guys have pride in our little world and dont take kindly to someone new coming in roaring like they are king of the mountain.

Kind like yall treated us east guys (Dinwiddie, Monacan and LT) when we started in 4a (2013). It wasn't, so pleasant on the field or on this board. I guess its an etiquette thing. Example: Salem is the king and they waxed us last year. OK, well we (BB) won 3a states, so we should be second best in class. Say what? I guess simply put the arrogance didnt taste good to a normally palatable DP.

Okay. But if his comments weren't referring to this thread, maybe this wasn't the place to say that people need to have humility crammed down their throats.

I still have to disagree, in that I don't remember seeing any post at any time from any Bruin fan saying they were going to come into 4A and contend for the title, imply that they were better than Dinwiddie, or anything of the like. I'm not defending them; they can speak for themselves. I just don't remember reading anything like that. Are there links to those posts?

And if you're honestly trying to imply that no one gave the eastern teams their proper due in 2013? Come on. "Phoebus and LT will win state for the next twenty years." Sound familiar? Maybe you guys are ticked because Dinwiddie wasn't included in all those predictions of eastern domination, when they clearly should have been.

Anyway, this is all silly internet stuff. I hold you and DP in highest esteem among the posters on VaPreps, and if someone posted something you found that offensive, it's regrettable.

couldn't of been me I predicted Salem to win it all . As for last nights game , it was won at the line of scrimmage LB has a good football team .

I didn't mean to offend anyone with this statement, but I had a legit reason that was not evident from others previous post. You know I'm usually very conservative with my comments. But, someone had pushed my button on this topic. I apologize to all, save one.

Never said we were disrespected SpartanofYore, but you posters made us earn our respect on this board.

No need to make this more than it is. See you guys Friday.

I know what you mean. We've been through the same thing ourselves two or three times over the years, 2013 through 2015 being the last really rough period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT