ADVERTISEMENT

Blacksburg RB Coleton Beck

I understand the Blacksburg fan mindset but it's really not the great slight some appear to make it. Fuente has seen him I believe twice now in camps and just felt he was not right for what he was doing but that's the world we live in. I don't see Blacksburg fans upset that Nick Saban isn't begging Beck to come to Alabama.

His speed isn't the debate. The kid is lightning fast, no denying it, but there is more to this sport than that and other coaches, ranking services, etc. all agree which is why he isn't a 5* and he doesn't have an offer from a hundred different schools.

People are only upset because of where he is relative to the location of VT. If Cole Beck played in Colorado no fan would care that VT didn't offer but their fans think it's some kind of snub, that kids should be granted offers on proximity to a school and not the merits of their play (as is viewed by the staff). His college is paid for, who is paying for it shouldn't matter honestly.

e: just so it's clear, I have no opinion either way. I'll be totally honest and say his play that I saw, which included a 20 carry 80 yard game against Salem, didn't impress me but when I heard the 10.41 I decided an offer to him would be fine by me because maybe they could find a way to make him work one way or another. When camp came and went without an offer I shrugged and moved on, which is what he seems to have done as well.

Cole Beck doesn't need VT to have a successful career and VT doesn't need Cole Beck to do big things. As much as they maybe could compliment each other, neither is the missing piece of the other's puzzle.

Last edited:
I would like an honest opinion on Beck from a non Blacksburg fan that has actually watched him in person more than at least one game

I've saw him 4 different times and in my honest opinion I think he is soft...avoids contact...yes he can fly no doubt but don't look like the "get the tough yard or two" type guy

Just my opinion so all Blacksburg fans(most who were never hear before last december) please don't take it as a slam on Beck...just my personal opinion

I would like an honest opinion on Beck from a non Blacksburg fan that has actually watched him in person more than at least one game

I've saw him 4 different times and in my honest opinion I think he is soft...avoids contact...yes he can fly no doubt but don't look like the "get the tough yard or two" type guy

Just my opinion so all Blacksburg fans(most who were never hear before last december) please don't take it as a slam on Beck...just my personal opinion
His highlight film includes several 1-2 yard goal line runs, 2 of which are in the state championship game. Better question is why take on contact when you can use speed to avoid it?

And yes, I'm a Blacksburg fan but was here long before December.

His highlight film includes several 1-2 yard goal line runs, 2 of which are in the state championship game. Better question is why take on contact when you can use speed to avoid it?

And yes, I'm a Blacksburg fan but was here long before December.

Well the 4 games I've seen he don't run hard but he is fast

Problem is in college he won't run away from people

I'm sure fuente knows enough about him and since no offer he must be confident he isn't in their plans

And as a poster said if he was from Colorado nobody would care that VT hasn't offered

Reactions: lyhsports
Well the 4 games I've seen he don't run hard but he is fast

Problem is in college he won't run away from people

I'm sure fuente knows enough about him and since no offer he must be confident he isn't in their plans

And as a poster said if he was from Colorado nobody would care that VT hasn't offered
And VT has what to do with the conversation?

Well most of the bburg people just can't believe VT hasn't offered a fast guy in their back yard...it's all in this thread...that's what VT has to do with it

Your post was about whether he runs hard or not, but whatever. Of course VT has to be involved in the conversation, the kid lives in Bburg right?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but his offers generally suit his style. College coaches opt for players who fit their scheme. UNC and ECU are perfect fits for this young man. I am not sure about Pittsburgh, but they have moved a bit toward the spread.

I have seen him live once and believe he will be utilized as a multi position back. He has decent size, great speed and sound hands, but I am not sold on him being a featured (every down) back.

The majority of teams who have offered him utilize the spread. If you understand the scheme it about getting playmakers in space. Its is easy to envision him running reverses, jet sweeps, and stretch plays. He will also likely be utilized on screens and short passes creating one on one coverages with a linebacker.

He very closely compares to Tye Freeland from Dinwiddie who did not have quite the speed of Beck, but was a bit more physical.

Another thing to consider is his potential play on special teams (return game) He will cause nightmares for special teams coaches.

When I looked at the Blacksburg regular season schedule I did not see where he will face many defenses (exception: Salem, PH, Amherst and maybe LB) who can slow him down. I look for Beck to have a sound season. Come playoff time his o line and the passing game will have to be on point for the Beck and the Bruins to excell or accelerate.

Last edited:
I don't have a dog in this fight, but his offers generally suit his style. College coaches opt for players who fit their scheme. UNC and ECU are perfect fits for this young man. I am not sure about Pittsburgh, but they have moved a bit toward the spread.

I have seen him live once and believe he will be utilized as a multi position back. He has decent size, great speed and sound hands, but I am not sold on him being a featured (every down) back.

The majority of teams who have offered him utilize the spread. If you understand the scheme it about getting playmakers in space. Its is easy to envision him running reverses, jet sweeps, and stretch plays. He will also likely be utilized on screens and short passes creating one on one coverages withba linebacker.

He very closely compares to Tye Freeland from Dinwiddie who did not have quite the speed of Beck, but was a bit more physical.

Another thing to consider is his potential play on special teams (return game) He will cause nightmares for special teams coaches.

When I looked at the Blacksburg regular season schedule I did not see where he will face many defenses (Salem, PH, Amherst and maybe LB) who can slow him down. I look for Beck to have a sound season. Come playoff time his o line and the pasding game will have to be on point for the Beck and the Bruins to excell.
Good analysis. All the offenses you mentioned can get RBs in space which benefits a back like Beck. Pitt is an attractive option for him based on Watson's offensive scheme and ST.

Good analysis. All the offenses you mentioned can get RBs in space which benefits a back like Beck. Pitt is an attractive option for him based on Watson's offensive scheme and ST.

Thanks cb2018. The kid has talent, but he surely isnt a power I back. A good part of this discussion has been about VA Tech not recruiting him and I kind of get their hesitancy. Fuente's offense needs a power back who can run traps/counters, block and catch passes. If you look at their recent running back recruits you can see they have recruited a few similar guys (maybe not supersonic speed). In my opinion he is a tweener (hybrid) and they really don't need him.

I would like to see the kid transfer to Dinwiddie. His skills would match our offense perfectly. Lol

Thanks cb2018. The kid has talent, but he surely isnt a power I back. A good part of this discussion has been about VA Tech not recruiting him and I kind of get their hesitancy. Fuente's offense needs a power back who can run traps/counters, block and catch passes. If you look at their recent running back recruits you can see they have recruited a few similar guys (maybe not supersonic speed). In my opinion he is a tweener (hybrid) and they really don't need him.

I would like to see the kid transfer to Dinwiddie. His skills would match our offense perfectly. Lol

Pitt Is transitioning to a hybrid offense under Watson. My thought is Beck is better going North-South than East-West. One hole, one move, gone.

VT isn't a good fit for him in many ways, IMHO

Cb2018, seems like you either favor the Panthers or know something????? Not sure I agree with you on the east-west/north-south thing, but your argument makes sense. I would be concerned about the pounding the middle linebackers will lay on him. He is better served going one on one with wips and db's.

I have no clue how the kid is leaning, but ECU would be a fantastic marriage. As a Hokie fan I have seen numerous games at ECU and its a great college town with an awesome atmosphere.

Wish Mr. Beck well this season and look forward to HIS decision. After all its about the right fit and where he feels comfortable.

Reactions: cb2018
You know it Hamspear. The "Wrecking Ball" can lay the wood on his foe. I cringe everytime he takes on a db. If I had to face him I would be thinking of the old GI Joe toy that says "Enemy planes hit the deck".

Reactions: hamspear
In my opinion.......Under the Beamer regime, Tech would have offered him because he was more suited to the offense that VT was running (21 personnel with a FB and a Tailback). But in the Fuente era, there is only 1 RB on the field and often no TE. That is why they are bringing in one RB a year and 5 WRs. Heck, sometimes they are going empty and playing 5 WR.

I have zero doubt that Beck will be a good college player, it just isn't a good fit at VT. Plus it will be good for him(and most other kids) to get away from home. Again, just my opinion

Cb2018, seems like you either favor the Panthers or know something????? Not sure I agree with you on the east-west/north-south thing, but your argument makes sense. I would be concerned about the pounding the middle linebackers will lay on him. He is better served going one on one with wips and db's.

I have no clue how the kid is leaning, but ECU would be a fantastic marriage. As a Hokie fan I have seen numerous games at ECU and its a great college town with an awesome atmosphere.

Wish Mr. Beck well this season and look forward to HIS decision. After all its about the right fit and where he feels comfortable.
Thanks! If you liked ECU before, see if you can find their stadium expansion info on-line, going to be a huge improvement in many ways.

I like their current stadium, but I will check it out. The fans at ECU are super nice and hospitable. They let me and my friend tailgate with them when Tech plays there. Its only a 1:55 minute drive to ECU, so I have seen a few other games as well. Please don't think wrong of me, but the female students are known to wear short skirts and cowboy boots to games. Quite a site for male students and this 52 year old man. Nitroglycerin please. I also like the arrg... chant and hook sign they do after first downs. Great student section as well. Greensville, NC is very similar to Blacksburg with a lot better pork barbecue. Lol

Have been to Pittsburg and UNC as well and although I like the UNC campus it just feels snobbish to me. Pitt is just too big for my taste. Excellent entertainment, food and sports. The campus is nice, but just not my cup of tea.

It really doesnt matter what I think anyway. Its about Mr. Beck and his happiness. Tough decision for sure. Based on your statements and a bit of sneaky research it appears Pitt is in the lead.

Cb2018, I saw where you appeared to get a bit defensive in another post. Please understand most of the posters would never attack a kid and have no malicious intent. We all like to voice our opinions even when we are wrong. You seem to be close to Mr. Beck, so try and understand its not a personal attack on him. There are some very knowleable posters on the 4a board and several coaches. We police ourselves when kids are attacked unfairly. By the way Danville Sports Head loves working with kids and is one of the nicest young men I have ever met. He meant no harm I promise.

Last edited:
I like their current stadium, but I will check it out. The fans at ECU are super nice and hospitable. They let me and my friend tailgate with them when Tech plays there. Its only a 1:55 minute drive to ECU, so I have seen a few other games as well. Please don't think wrong of me, but the female students are known to wear short skirts and cowboy boots to games. Quite a site for male students and this 52 year old man. Nitroglycerin please. I also like the arrg... chant and hook sign they do after first downs. Great student section as well. Greensville, NC is very similar to Blacksburg with a lot better pork barbecue. Lol

Have been to Pittsburg and UNC as well and although I like the UNC campus it just feels snobbish to me. Pitt is just too big for my taste. Excellent entertainment, food and sports. The campus is nice, but just not my cup of tea.

It really doesnt matter what I think anyway. Its about Mr. Beck and his happiness. Tough decision for sure. Based on your statements and a bit of sneaky research it appears Pitt is in the lead.

Cb2018, I saw where you appeared to get a bit defensive in another post. Please understand most of the posters would never attack a kid and have no malicious intent. We all like to voice our opinions even when we are wrong. You seem to be close to Mr. Beck, so try and understand its not a personal attack on him. There are some very knowleable posters on the 4a board and several coaches. We police ourselves when kids are attacked unfairly. By the way Danville Sports Head loves working with kids and is one of the nicest young men I have ever met. He meant no harm I promise.
Thanks BleedingNavy! Appreciate the insight to the schools you've visited on game day. Agree, DSH and others seem quite knowledgeable on this board and appreciate their opinion.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Cb2018, I have to be honest about one thing I find it hard to speak well of UNC. As a kid, I despised Dean Smith and his four corners offense. Used to drive me crazy when they played Lefties boys from Maryland. Have learned to respect the program, but just cant root for them. Besides the people at ECU and Pitt are average americans with personalities and work ethics that I favor. Lol.

Good point on the young women....
Cb2018, I have to be honest about one thing I find it hard to speak well of UNC. As a kid, I despised Dean Smith and his four corners offense. Used to drive me crazy when they played Lefties boys from Maryland. Have learned to respect the program, but just cant root for them. Besides the people at ECU and Pitt are average americans with personalities and work ethics that I favor. Lol.
well, that makes 2 of us. I'm an NC State alum

Lol. Didn't care much for Norm Sloan, David Thompson, Monte Towe, Tim Stoddard, and the Giraffe Burleson either. Eliminated my beloved Terps in 3 ot's. I refused to wear my Terrapin pajamas for three weeks. Those were the days. Players stayed for four years and you could grow fond of a team.

John Lucas, Moe Howard, Lenny Elmore, McMillan and Lefty. I used to pretend I was Brad Davis shooting floaters. The college player I liked the most as a teen was former Ferrum and VA Tech guard Mickey Hardy. Watched him play on the local playgrounds and at William Byrd. That guy could shoot, but his ole defense cost him.

Lol. Didn't care much for Norm Sloan, David Thompson, Monte Towe, Tim Stoddard, and the Giraffe Burleson either. Eliminated my beloved Terps in 3 ot's. I refused to wear my Terrapin pajamas for three weeks. Those were the days. Players stayed for four years and you could grow fond of a team.

John Lucas, Moe Howard, Lenny Elmore, McMillan and Lefty. I used to pretend I was Brad Davis shooting floaters. The college player I liked the most as a teen was former Ferrum and VA Tech guard Mickey Hardy. Watched him play on the local playgrounds and at William Byrd. That guy could shoot, but his ole defense cost him.
You would really appreciate my Len Bias story when he played his last game at Reynolds's Coliseum. Best player in Maryland history IMO. He walked out of the tunnel. State students were
talking crap and he said something back. Scored 38 that night...

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Would have loved for Bias to have played with Bird and the Celtics. The thought of it is just nasty.

You would really appreciate my Len Bias story when he played his last game at Reynolds's Coliseum. Best player in Maryland history IMO. He walked out of the tunnel. State students were
talking crap and he said something back. Scored 38 that night...

To me, one of the greatest things about sports is when a player or a team responds to harassment or down right abuse by turning in a record performance.

One thing I haven't heard mentioned regarding Coleton is that part of his collegiate choice criteria is that he wants to run track in the football offseason. Some coaches are down with that and others say all football or none at all. Some schools didn't offer based on that criteria.

There is only one direction Pitt is going, and that behind big bad George , and you can take that to the bank.
Has Aston been getting playing time since he was a freshman? I swear it seems he's been there for 4 years already.

I've already told Coleton that I'll disown him if he goes to Pitt. (You can probably figure out my alma mater from my username and, believe me, we despise Pitt with a passion that is downright ugly.) Cole's reply when I told him that? "I might just run all over you guys." I have to admit that I thought that was a pretty good reply. :)

Has Aston been getting playing time since he was a freshman? I swear it seems he's been there for 4 years already.
The head coach says he is the most NFL ready player on Pitts team. Was all ACC as a freshman. Think he scored 8 or 9 Td's last year as a fullback / slot out of the backfield guy. He is a devastating blocker.

Reactions: VolNation85
The head coach says he is the most NFL ready player on Pitts team. Was all ACC as a freshman. Think he scored 8 or 9 Td's last year as a fullback / slot out of the backfield guy. He is a devastating blocker.
I'm not surprised at that statement. I enjoy watching him play, especially since he's a Virginian. I always like to keep up with former VHSL athletes once they move on to the collegiate and professional levels.

Actually 10 TDs, 5 rushing, 5 receiving. 2nd most on team. Good to see the VA guys getting after it

ADVERTISEMENT