ADVERTISEMENT

Blacksburg

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Just got done watching the Salem/Blacksburg game again. Salem won 33-32. I came away with a lot of respect for Blackburg. They were one of the very very elite teams in the state this year. I don't know if Blacksburg would have gone on to win the state title if they had beat Salem, but they were every bit as good as Louisa and Dinwiddie ( two teams Salem played this year). Now if they had played those teams I do not know what the outcome would be (matchups matter), but they were as talented as anyone Salem played.

Thanks for the kind words. I know people had doubts about them at the beginning of the season, but I think they earned some respect. It truly was and is a couple special classes coming through the school. There are 6 or 7 seniors that have offers at the moment, and you will have 3 maybe 4 next season. Got beat by the GOAT of local coaches (Mags).

Reactions: cb2018
Monacan definitely could've pulled it off if they had beaten Louisa. They were the most balanced team of the bunch with a good enough defense. A matchup with Salem would've been great to watch.

Salem, Louisa, Blacksburg, Dinwiddie, Monacan, Kings Fork, Lafayette, Eastern View in no particular order were all elite. Next group included Sherando, George Washington, Liberty, ECGlass . Just like in the NCAA basketball tournament, if you started it over again you might get a different result. However, I will say that at the end of this past year, Salem was the best team.

Last edited:
Salem, Louisa, Blacksburg, Monacan, Kings Fork, Lafayette, Eastern View in no particular order were all elite. Next group included Sherando, George Washington, Liberty, ECGlass . Just like in the NCAA basketball tournament, if you started it over again you might get a different result. However, I will say that at the end of this past year, Salem was the best team.
Have to add Dinwiddie to the group of elite teams.

Salem, Louisa, Blacksburg, Monacan, Kings Fork, Lafayette, Eastern View in no particular order were all elite. Next group included Sherando, George Washington, Liberty, ECGlass . Just like in the NCAA basketball tournament, if you started it over again you might get a different result. However, I will say that at the end of this past year, Salem was the best team.
Dinwiddie was in the upper echelon of C4 as well.

Salem did what they do, they finished strong. Playing at the top of their game at the right time. As someone said, they are the bully until someone knocks them off come playoff time.

Reactions: JOrndorff
Just got done watching the Salem/Blacksburg game again. Salem won 33-32. I came away with a lot of respect for Blackburg. They were one of the very very elite teams in the state this year. I don't know if Blacksburg would have gone on to win the state title if they had beat Salem, but they were every bit as good as Louisa and Dinwiddie ( two teams Salem played this year). Now if they had played those teams I do not know what the outcome would be (matchups matter), but they were as talented as anyone Salem played.
I agree, Blacksburg was so good. Really rare to see a team with that much speed and talent at the skill positions/DBs and also be that good up front on both sides of the ball... not to mention an elite special teams. If they played Salem a third time I would have a hard time picking the Spartans... they were fortunate enough to win a very close game. I would personally have favored Blacksburg against any team in 4A, including Salem.

Reactions: JOrndorff
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT