ADVERTISEMENT

Bland - Patrick Henry

Aug 23, 2014
Another good match up in the first round of 1A West is the Bland County Bears (7-3) versus the Patrick Henry Rebels (8-2).

Bland makes the playoffs for the first time since 2008. The Bears are good this year being big and strong in the line and with their running backs. Offensively they run the wing-T. A few players have missed games during the year to injuries especially at quarterback who is out for the year. However, a sophomore has done a more than adequate job as their new quarterback. The Bears have beaten both Rural Retreat and Northwood while losing to Graham, Narrows, and Galax.

On the other hand, Patrick Henry offense revolves around their running back who now has over 2,000 yards of rushing. This running back has a combination of speed and power and he has not been stopped by any of their opponents. The Rebels have lost only two games to George Wythe and Rural Retreat.

Defensively the Bears play a physical blitzing scheme and are very opportunistic in defensive scoring. The Rebels on defense are solid but normally they simply out score their opponent.

Both teams are well coached with veteran head coaches.

The Bears and Rebels have already seen each other this year, playing in a scrimmage in August at Bland.

Last edited:
You guys see this as a high or low scoring game? I think a high scoring game favors ph if bland can keep ph in the low twenties bland probably wins. 30 or more likely ph.

I know you have talked about the qb inury. The freshman has some experience no what about the other injuries are the back? This time of the year it can change things.

One of the safeties was out Friday but not sure of the injury. Looked fine on sidelines and prior to the game. Dend/guard and fb/lber that were injured came back Friday but they looked at little rusty at times. Maybe a little out of shape because both injuries prevented them doing much. No injuries last Friday, qb got a little banged up after he was tackled on the track but I don't think it was anything serious. Hopefully everybody's ready to go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT