ADVERTISEMENT

Block AND Charge on same play

Sep 28, 2007
Gotta ask, since I'd never seen this until this week. Offensive player driving to the basket, defender steps in. Official A calls a block on the defender. Official B steps up, and after a discussion with Official A, also calls a charge on the offensive player. I know the line between a block and a charge is often a very fine one, but is it correct that both can be called on the same play? Thanks.

Gotcha a blarge right there is what ya got and it can happen. Both players get charged with a foul and use the arrow for possession.

That's the one thing we take about in our pre-game. Lead should hold his signal and if its coming from the center or trail let them take the call.
I would like to see them explain that to the coaches. Man!

Explain it to the coach? Very simple. That's the way it's handled by rule. There's no choice to do anything else.

I think it's impossible to have a charge and a block on same play. it's either one or the other.

it's like a pitch in baseball. it's either a "ball" or a "strike". it can't be both

Whether it's possible to have a block and a charge is not the issue. It one official calls a blacok and another calls a charge, by rule, it has to be reported as a double foul.

Same situation but with made basket. Is the basket waived off and the ball taken out of bounds at midcourt with possession going to the team with the arrow?

Man, you are soooo wrong,

a block/charge is nothing like a pitch where it's either a ball or a strike. That is a terrible comparison, mostly because you have just a few more pitches during any given baseball game than the number of block/charge plays occurring in a basketball game. In addition, the basketball plays are at times judged separately by more than one official. Can you imagine a second base umpire trying to overrule the hp ump on balls and strikes?

Originally posted by baller4Him:
Same situation but with made basket. Is the basket waived off and the ball taken out of bounds at midcourt with possession going to the team with the arrow?

No and no, and no.
3dsmile.gif

The shot was released before there's contact, then the basket would count. The defense would get the ball on the endline.
3dsmile.gif

Re: Man, you are soooo wrong,

regardless of what rule book says. if one official calls "block" and one calls "charge", then ONE of them is wrong. it can't be both.

it's a judgement call, therefore the first call made should stand.

There are those plays that are so borderline it could go either way. Who's to say that the first whistle is correct? If I have an opinion about a play and you have a different opinion about a play, who is to say I'm right just because I whistled first? Perhaps it was in your area and I shouldn't even have made a call, yet my call is right?

OK HR Let's say you are right (and boy is that hard to do) that one of these calls is right and one wrong. If the calls happen about the same time, how do you suggest the crew decide which one to go with? Ask the coaches? Ask the players? Ax de mama's? This is why the rule book instructs what to do in this situation. Now we can go back to...you being wrong again.

It just seems to me that you can't 'split the baby' on a call like this. Using another baseball analogy, what happens when there is a close play at first base (or any base)? Old school thinking is 'tie goes to the runner' but I'm told there is no such thing in reality. They can't be 'out' and 'safe' at the same time...

You guys are still not seeing this

It is not the same situation as you are referencing in your baseball plays, because the block/charge occurs with two officials judging the same play. Using your baseball example, unless he asks for help, the close play at first is to be judged by only one of the game's officials. Same with balls and strikes. If you are trying to compare apples to apples with your baseball play, let's say that on plays at first base the hp ump and the 1st base ump both have responsibilities for judging this play, and one rules "out!" immediately at the same time the other says "safe!". If this were the mechanic for baseball than there would be rules governing what to do in that situation. With basketball you have overlapping areas of responsibility, so two officials, looking at the same play from different angles, are bound to come up with opposite calls from time to time.

Re: You guys are still not seeing this

Doesn't matter. It simply CAN'T be both. Period. They need to just work it out and make the call.

Oh yeah it's that easy. Guess the coach the call goes against will just live with the fact you guys "worked it out".

Originally posted by luvdpanthers:
Doesn't matter. It simply CAN'T be both. Period. They need to just work it out and make the call.

Sorry guy but the rule book disagrees with you. It is both.

By the rule book you can have a block and a charge on the same play. Officials are taught to not make a "preliminary" call on these types of play. Ideally, if they both have a whistle, neither should signal, they get together and exchange information. The official whose area the play came from has priority, but he may not have seen something the other official do. That is why they get together. If the both give preliminaries, and opposing ones, then they have to live with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT