ADVERTISEMENT

BOYS 2B Championship- East Rock 58 Staunton 44 -FINAL

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
Half: East Rockingham 30, Staunton 20. Tyler Nickel has been dominant thus far with 23 points already. Eagles have struggled a bit from 3-point range, but Nickel has lived inside the paint. Josiah Williams leads the Storm with seven points of his own.

End of 1Q: East Rockingham 17, Staunton 10. Storm playing very physical, trying to disrupt Eagles guard Tyler Nickel. Despite that, he's got 12 points already. Josiah Williams has four for Staunton.

Kid is not just one of the best players in Virginia in my opinion. I think he's one of the best High School Seniors in the country. He's going to not be good, but he's going to be a Superstar at the Major (ACC Level-D1 level). Crazy range for a 6-7ish kid.

Reactions: pizzzzza
End of 3Q: East Rockingham 37, Staunton 35. The Storm took all the momentum in the third with their physical approach on defense and a balanced attack on offense. Tyler Nickel had just two points in that frame.

Staunton has really surprised me with their post-season play.

Watching this on NFHS. Staunton is really, really, really quick and athletic. They have given East Rockingham lots of problems in their half courts sets and have beaten East Rock off the dribble a bunch in that third qtr. Nickel is nasty though and taking the game over in the 4th qtr. I still see Nickel and Evick a long ways from the bucket on many of East Rock's possessions and I know Nickel will play a 2 or 3 in college, but those two could really use that height at the 2 level to hammer teams inside. Nickel is so good though that even with a crazy extended defense like Staunton is playing to guard him at the 3 point line, Nickel is still good enough to overcome it and continues to score from way out and Keyes with two big threes when Nickel drives and they key on him.

East Rockingham now on a 7-0 run after a bucket in the paint from Xavier Butler and leading Staunton 44-37. Storm call a timeout. 4Q 4:27.

I think if Staunton had more height that they could possibly knock off East Rock.

FINAL, 2B Championship: East Rockingham 58, Staunton 44.

Tyler Nickel finishes with 36 points to help the Eagles hold off the Storm and capture their third straight regional crown.

East Rock (9-2) travels to Region 2A Champ King William (4-2) in Wednesday's Class 2 State Semis.

Last edited:
Kid is not just one of the best players in Virginia in my opinion. I think he's one of the best High School Seniors in the country. He's going to not be good, but he's going to be a Superstar at the Major (ACC Level-D1 level). Crazy range for a 6-7ish kid.
Nickel is a junior

I too am surprised to see Staunton come along and give East Rock this good a game. I only saw them play twice this year (the two Riverheads games of course) and they looked like an average team at best. I would have expected a 30 point blowout today. Just goes to show that's why they play the games!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT