ADVERTISEMENT

Boys Semis: Gate City 70 Graham 59 - FINAL

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
End of 1st qtr GC 17 - Graham 12

Zac Ervin 2 Bradley Dean 2 Mac McClung 13

McClung feeling it, 16 points, Gate City leads Graham 22-14

Halftime at Tazewell. Gate City leads Graham 33-21.

DXpVZnSWkAALLoD.jpg

Martin leads Graham with 15.

Graham
with 12 turnovers

Zac Ervin 2 Bradley Dean 6 Mac McClung 23 Jon Compton 2

TO Graham with 4:24 remaining In the 3rd GC leads 37-26

Timeout with 2:13 remaining in 3rd qtr GC 43 - Graham 34

End of 3rd qtr GC 47 - Graham 41

Zac Ervin 8 Bradley Dean 8 Mac McClung 27 Jon Compton 2 Jonathan Sallee 2

5:07 remaining in the ball game TO Graham Devils leading 54-46

McClung with the slam - then Graham technical on coach

Gate
City up 64-56, 54.8 to play

DXpfHXGXUAAB6Ti.jpg

Gate City defeats Graham 70-59 to advance to Friday night’s state championship game at VCU

Reactions: ArcticBuc
According to the announcers, I believe he had an even 50.

I might be wrong, but I believe Carlock was T'd because McClung travelled on that reverse slam and it wasn't called. Hard to tell on the video with no real replay.

I've heard at least 3 different totals online for Mac - everything from 39 to 50.

Scoring for the Blue Devils

Zac Ervin 12 Bradley Dean 10 Mac McClung 42 Jon Compton 4 Jonathan Sallee 2

I might be wrong, but I believe Carlock was T'd because McClung travelled on that reverse slam and it wasn't called. Hard to tell on the video with no real replay.

Key stat from Gate City's win over Graham: 19/19 from the free throw line for the Blue Devils

I thought it was for him trying to block on other end, hitting the backboard when shot was on rim looked like

Reactions: FORT89 and 19GHS87
They def said 50 but eh is right. The announcers were not excellent, to be kind lol. At least stream was good.
Much better stream than Radord/GC game, it was horrible. I'm thinking all the weather, wind, power outages may have had an effect on it.

I thought it was for him trying to block on other end, hitting the backboard when shot was on rim looked like

Yeah, this is what Carlock was mad about and got the technical for. He definitely smacked the backboard on the shot, but the dunk was the exclamation point for the win before that

Ball is picked up before right foot down. Technically it’s a walk. How many FTs did graham shoot?

Officials looking for contact and foul, they miss walks all the time and don't get me started on how bad dribbling is. Ball is constantly carried, "eurostep" is a travel but hey they call it like its the NBA

Yeah, this is what Carlock was mad about and got the technical for. He definitely smacked the backboard on the shot, but the dunk was the exclamation point for the win before that

He had a legitimate gripe imo

Reactions: eh31
Listened to this game while watching Lee and Central. The Graham announcers definitely sounded upset at many of the calls. As for the announcers, I don't think they were bad at all. They didn't set the world on fire, but they weren't bad. I could listen and tell the flow of the game at least, the score, who had the ball, etc. What did I hear on the radio? To much McClung and key baskets at key times by Ervin. It sounded like when Graham would get within 4 or 6 or 8, Ervin would do something in the lane. I read above where Ervin ended with 12 points. His 12 points seemed to come at critical times, at least by what I heard. Great win by Gate City on the road in I'm sure what was a crazy environment, and that's now 2 wins on the road with Radford and Graham. That's a red hot basketball team.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Just got back. McClung had a great game. Graham called for way too many touch fouls. In the end, too many mistakes by Graham did them in. Carlock was justified for being upset. Definitely basket interference . only a 6 point game at that point. Would have cut it to 4 if correct call was made. Instead as a result of the T... GC goes up by 10 and puts it out of reach . Bogus non call but too many travels and lazy passes. GC was a little more sharp. A team with a good inside game can beat GC. Good season for Graham. With Allen and Lester back next season. I think Radford, Graham and Martinsville will be favorites.

Just got back. McClung had a great game. Graham called for way too many touch fouls. In the end, too many mistakes by Graham did them in. Carlockbwas justified for beingg upset. Definitely basket interference . only a 6 point game at that point. Would have cut it to 4 if correct call was made. Instead as a result ofnthe T... GC goes up by 10 and puts it out ofbofbrea reach. Bogus non call but too many travels and lazy passes. GC was a little more sharp. A team with a good inside game can beat GC. Good season for Graham. With Allen and Lester back next season. I think Radford, Graham and Martinsville wull be favorites.

Lee will beat Gate City in my opinion. Lee by 8-11 points. Gate City will have no answer for Vaughan, and the length of Vaughan will cause great problems when McClung drives in the lane. McClung is a stud, but the driving by people, then elevating in the lane will be much, much, much more difficult at the Div 1 level. It will be much more difficult against a team like Lee. The above are only one guy's opinion, but as always, I will give mine. I'm calling it now, Lee will win the State Championship again.

Reactions: Gunz41 and 19GHS87
I thought it rolled off? If it went in I don't see why he snapped like he did.
It may have, I thought he still made it, that's why I thought that would be a bad t in that situation when the guy still made the layup but if it didn't go in then I can understand.

Lee will beat Gate City in my opinion. Lee by 8-11 points. Gate City will have no answer for Vaughan, and the length of Vaughan will cause great problems when McClung drives in the lane. McClung is a stud, but the driving by people, then elevating in the lane will be much, much, much more difficult at the Div 1 level. It will be much more difficult against a team like Lee. The above are only one guy's opinion, but as always, I will give mine. I'm calling it now, Lee will win the State Championship again.
Lee was taller last year weren't they? I believe Vaughan will give big problems inside though. GC held their own pretty good last year against Lee.

Lee was taller last year weren't they? I believe Vaughan will give big problems inside though. GC held their own pretty good last year against Lee.

Yes, they were, but still have some wingspan in the lane will cause some issues and change some (not all) but change some of those shots by Mac driving in the lane as well as Ervin. Vaughan is obviously an issue offensively, but I think he's as good defensively, at least.......he's certainly been the last 2 games for Lee that I watched. Vaughan's defense will be the difference in the game in my opinion.

The ball did not go in on that basket interference. It was essentially a 6 point swing after the technical. I would have been furious too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT