ADVERTISEMENT

Boys Soccer Semifinals: Auburn 1 Rappahannock 0 2OT

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
I'm sure uvacavs can give a synopsis of the game. Im admittedly not a soccer guru, but I was following to support the local team. All I know is Auburn won 1-0 in overtime. Great season for the Raiders ends just a little bit short.

Last edited:
I felt really sorry for the Rapp boys. They win this game 8 or 9 times out of 10. Rapp dominates all stats except the one that counted. 85 percent possession. Auburn took maybe three shots on goal.

Rapp has maybe 5 offensive players who are better than best Auburn attacker.

Auburn did play stifling defense and just flat out tackled the stars if they were gonna get by- Center Ref missed many flat out take downs- he may be better off attempting to officiate a game of tic tak toe. Well, after he studies that challenging game up a bit.

Auburn won the only way they could have- and did make the one shot out of three on goal that mattered the most.

I watched all 4 teams. Rappahannock was the best of all 4. Sometimes the best team does not win.

Last edited:
I watched all 4 teams. Rappahannock was the best of all 4. Sometimes the best team does not win.

I'm not attempting to be argumentative. You obviously have strong feelings about what you saw. I saw something entirely different and have results to back up what I saw.

First, Galax beat Rappahannock 6-0 in the state final a year ago and returned virtually everyone from last year's team. Auburn and Galax have familiarity given they have played 11 times in two seasons. Galax has won 8 of those 11 but Auburn did beat Galax to win Region C last season.

Second, Galax has won 3 straight and 5 out of 6 state championships in Class 1. Hard to argue the best team isn't winning when the same team wins every year!

Third, Galax will only lose 3 seniors from the current team. Two of which rarely ever play. Good luck stopping this run next year!

Again, not trying to be argumentative but your assessment sounds like sour grapes. Just my opinion!

100 percent respect your thoughts and you certaiinly could be correct that Galax may have defeated Rapp had they played. Galax has lots of talent and I totally respect all their titles.They did have a nice vocal crowd. I have issue no with Galax in soccer or football. Thanks for commenting.

I stand by comments concerning the Auburn game. In normal situations with professional Richmond crews (over an hour and a half from NHS, hour or so from Rapp), Rapp should beat them at least 4-0.

By the way, I support Northumberland and coached at Essex before that. Rapp has been one of my rivals for 20 years. Had NHS some how upset Galax, it would have to been to our advantage to play Auburn who has no offense unlike Rapp and Galax which are loaded.

While Galax was really good, they did not seem the impossible to defeat machine that I had expected. Many NHS fans feared we would lose 8-0.

Rapp's offense is better this year (scary young talent especially on O) and they had their 1st team all Region Keeper back (who had emergency surgery an hour before the title game last season- totally destroyed the mentality of the team facing Galax).

I had planned to see it - already had booked my hotel. Alas, it was not to be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT