ADVERTISEMENT

Boys Soccer - State Qs Northumberland at Stonewall , Altavista at Rapp

1-1 Rapp v Altavista with 20 min gone in 1st half

Still early but surprising close one so far.....

Northumberland and Stonewall locked in a D war - 0-0. less than 20 min left in game!

Scouting report said both teams have great Ds and run same formation and similar offensive styles. Appears to be accurate.

who will break through?....

Northumberland still up 1-0 with 2 min left.

Since NHS went up game has gotten very rough - as Stonewall fights to come back. Ref stopped game a few times.

Northumberland won at Stonewall!!! 1-0. Makes the dance at Radford!

I am so proud of all these boys and coaches. Awesome job to my good friend 1st year Head Coach Caleb Smith.

When all these boys (now upperclassmen) began playing for NHS as 8th and 9th graders - NHS had gone 0-50-1 the three years prior (outscored 312 to 9). No JV team.

The boys had a goal. And they achieved it. Huge Congrats.

Last edited:
I know Caleb’s mother. I know she must be so proud of him turning that program around! Kudos to the Indians!

Reactions: uvacavs1
Rapp Raiders destroying A-Town 8-1.

Edward Headley with the hat trick! Hillman and Fisher with at least two goals each.

Now 8-2.

Both Neck teams advance to the Dance!!! Good times!

Reactions: Essex Trojan1
Raiders win 9-2 final.

Northumberland won 1-0.

Crowd at Stonewall was huge and rowdy. Game got really rough at the end. Play had to be stopped a few times after NHS went up. Stonewall expected to win this game and maybe the whole thing. The Indians held on.

Both Neck teams will play at Radford. Rapp has made it to Radford 3 years in a row. Northumberland has never made it to Radford.

I think the modern state tournament at Radford started in like 2001.

Saw somewhere this morning where someone said that Galax and Stonewall in the semis was the real state championship. Northumberland ruined that though.

essextrojan1 - to throw old school Essex some love - not sure if you know the Essex connection.

NHS Coach Smith played 5 years for Essex Soccer during the glory days long run - Caleb graduated in 2009 in what was (imo) one of the best Essex teams of all time.

His brother then played the next 5 years for Essex. He played on the last great Essex team that went to states (Radford) in 2014. That was the team that had DJ Ashlock as goalie (spider man they started to call him, football, basketball, soccer star). He had 12 shutouts or more that season.

Coach Smith has been a head coach at NHS for the last 4 years. Resurrected the JV program in 2016 and took over Varsity this season. Assistants Lon Patrick and Julio Sylva have also been with the program the last 4 years.

Out of Region C and Region D

Galax beats Partick Henry Glade Spring 8-1
Auburn beats Honaker 3-2 (on PKs)

Both Region C teams advance to play Region A

Out of Region C and Region D

Galax beats Partick Henry Glade Spring 8-1
Auburn beats Honaker 3-2 (on PKs)

Both Region C teams advance to play Region A

Thanks Ted for the update!

Galax winning was a no brainer...

Auburn had to fight for their lives.....interesting indeed.

Many Neck teams have made it to states - Until recently, 1A played in Group A (schools up to like 800 kids). Powerhouse programs like George Mason, Radford, Nandua, Northampton, Riverheads, Galax have completely dominated. Many games were lost in close sometimes controversial manner.

At least Radford will not be playing at home any more in 1A with their own local ref crew calling the game.

Referee crew needs to be neutral crew. This is States. Should be no issue anymore. Games will be filmed.

I will start a new thread for the Final Four. Hope weather holds.

Last edited:
essextrojan1 - to throw old school Essex some love - not sure if you know the Essex connection.

NHS Coach Smith played 5 years for Essex Soccer during the glory days long run - Caleb graduated in 2009 in what was (imo) one of the best Essex teams of all time.

His brother then played the next 5 years for Essex. He played on the last great Essex team that went to states (Radford) in 2014. That was the team that had DJ Ashlock as goalie (spider man they started to call him, football, basketball, soccer star). He had 12 shutouts or more that season.

Coach Smith has been a head coach at NHS for the last 4 years. Resurrected the JV program in 2016 and took over Varsity this season. Assistants Lon Patrick and Julio Sylva have also been with the program the last 4 years.
I remember that 2014 team. Only caught 2 or 3 games that year due to my work schedule. Didn’t know many of there names. I knew Ashlock because his mom and I are good friends and graduated together in 1987. Speaking of 1987...That was a great year for Essex Soccer as well. I was a member of that team and started at the left fullback position where I earned all-district and all-Region honors. We only had about 3 subs to relieve us. So most of us basically played the entire game every game. We went 12-2, scored 58 goals and allowed 24. New Kent beat us 2-1 in regular season and 5-1 in the regional championship. What was messed up in the regionals is that New Kent played someone in the 1st game and won. Essex played West Point and won 4-1 in the 2nd game. Essex got about a 30 minute break after the W.P. game, then had to play New Kent for the regional championship and we got beat 5-1. New Kent had a striker back then named Kelly Chestnut who was a TOTAL NIGHTMARE to defend. Was fast as heck with great ball skills. We didn’t stand a chance after just 30min of rest.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT