ADVERTISEMENT

Breakout Players in 2020

iDidntGetBanned

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 30, 2019
What player steps up this year and makes a huge impact on your team? I’ll start.

GW Danville rising Junior Ahmad “Worm” Poole MLB. Kid is going to be special.

Reactions: Lewis918777
If your looking for sleepers I’d look at

EV
JM
chancellor (my home district sorry but good talent)

Loudoun County
Woodgrove
Independence

Schools I have been watching and see some teal deal players on - in the process of getting names and stats now -

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Tuscarora has a few kids that I expect to breakthrough this year:

Ryan Upp (WR)
Sonny Mannino (QB)
Rainer Halveland (DE)
Leo Orozco (LB)

WR/CB Marquise Woodruff
He's a hard worker. Stepped up for the Hilltoppers last year at Corner and made some plays in the 4D Championship last year at WR. Looking for Glass to throw the ball more, so he should get some opportunities to put up some numbers.. I really like him at corner.

Glass lowkey had a good Wide receiver group last year Woodruff, Mosley, and Graves. All three return.

Last edited:
Slot/LB/S Markevus Franklin

THIS KID IS A DOG! He's probably aroung 5'6" or 5'7" but he is all over the field on defense. Tough as nails and is a very versatile athlete. Led Glass in Receiving yards as a Sophomore. Has the most tackles of the guys that return. Never leaves the field. He'll no doubt have a big year for Glass on Both sides of the ball.

CB/RB Kyjuan Brown
Improved big time from his sophomore to his junior year. Didn't give up any touchdowns through the air, and led Glass in Interceptions including 2 Interceptions in Region Championship game vs. Salem. Will probably get more carries at RB as well, but he'll definittly break out on defense.

He will be very fun to watch the next next year. He's a hard hitter too. I like Shyheim Watlington too.
Shy is very good and still has 2 more years to as does Poole. This year GW will have its best defensive backfield since Tim Glass (NC State/Liberty), Donald Smith Jr (Hampton) and CJ Graves (Winston Salem State) back in 2015. Justin Bethel, Zavion King and Isaiah Pritchett are all undersized corners but they showed a lot of promise and potential this past year. They’ll hit you and they never give up. Donavan Howard is probably GW’s best athlete and he has gotten a lot bigger and he will play a lot of safety this year. Willie Edmunds may be GW’s best tackler and will more than likely play defense in college. I would hope he plays some safety or linebacker this year. If they can tackle and swarm the ball consistently, they could very well be playing after Thanksgiving this year. Offense will be a huge question mark. Byrnes has to grow up fast (I have no doubts that he’ll be a great high school QB) and GW returns some speed and firepower at WR with Shakobe Hairston, Shy Watlington and Zayvion King (all district WR). Should be a top 3 team in 4D this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: lyhsports
Shy is very good and still has 2 more years to as does Poole. This year GW will have its best defensive backfield since Tim Glass (NC State/Liberty), Donald Smith Jr (Hampton) and CJ Graves (Winston Salem State) back in 2015. Isaiah Bethel, Zavion King and Isaiah Pritchett are all undersized corners but they showed a lot of promise and potential this past year. They’ll hit you and they never give up. Donavan Howard is probably GW’s best athlete and he has gotten a lot bigger and he will play a lot of safety this year. Willie Edmunds may be GW’s best tackler and will more than likely play defense in college. I would hope he plays some safety or linebacker this year. If they can tackle and swarm the ball consistently, they could very well be playing after Thanksgiving this year. Offense will be a huge question mark. Byrnes has to grow up fast (I have no doubts that he’ll be a great high school QB) and GW returns some speed and firepower at WR with Shakobe Hairston, Shy Watlington and Zayvion King (all district WR). Should be a top 3 team in 4D this year.

Yall got the pieces at the skill positions. Reload on the line, play solid fundamental football, and GW could be in the Region Championship this year. Cherish the EC Glass, Magna Vista, and Dinwiddie on your schedule and measure the team against those teams. This is GW's chance while Glass is reloading lol

Yall got the pieces at the skill positions. Reload on the line, play solid fundamental football, and GW could be in the Region Championship this year. Cherish the EC Glass, Magna Vista, and Dinwiddie on your schedule and measure the team against those teams. This is GW's chance while Glass is reloading lol
George White is going to be something special to watch. Saw him throwing a deep/ tight sparrow on Twitter the other day.

@mike salem @1MoreHokie @Shabutie @southbottomU where will you guys use Chauncey Logan the most this year? He’s probably the best pure ATH I saw this past year (just going off of his potential being a sophomore) and I saw some pretty good players this past year. Didn’t he play a little QB during the GW game? The twins are getting a lot of love now but Logan and Leftwich will be next up!

@mike salem @1MoreHokie @Shabutie @southbottomU where will you guys use Chauncey Logan the most this year? He’s probably the best pure ATH I saw this past year (just going off of his potential being a sophomore) and I saw some pretty good players this past year. Didn’t he play a little QB during the GW game? The twins are getting a lot of love now but Logan and Leftwich will be next up!
I think Logan will be used in a very similar manner to how he was last year. He will play flanker and be used in the slot quite a bit but will also have some packages where he plays QB. I could see him having a bigger play/formation package than what he had last year.

The twins are definitely getting more and more attention and I could see them pulling some bigger offers soon... they are absolutely huge now. Shawn Collins is another guy that has a chance to play major college ball if he works on a few things but he really needs this season to happen. Zavione Wood is the best player on the team but has lack of height working against him when it comes to college recruiting but I still think he has a chance of pulling some nice offers... he definitely deserves it. Of the Juniors Leftwich and Logan are the two guys with the most attention right now but I think you will see DT Stacy Williams have a monster year and garner a lot of attention. Also, Noah Collins is someone I could see as one of Salem's main breakout player this year. He was really good on the DL when he finally got a chance to see the field late in the season.

As good as lot of these skill players are I actually think that the rising sophomore and freshman class has even more talent and they have some guys with elite speed and athletic ability. Jamien Lingenfelter, Landen Goins and Peyton Lewis are some names to keep an eye on. Also, the eight grade Andrew Lewis team from last year might be the best middle school football team I have ever seen. The biggest challenge for Salem moving forward for both this year and the next several years is up front. They don't have the same type of talent and size on the lines at this point to compliment the ability of these skill players and will really need to develop some guys to be able to compete at the highest level.

Sorry, I know you were just asking about Logan... I probably didn't need to post all of that.

I think Logan will be used in a very similar manner to how he was last year. He will play flanker and be used in the slot quite a bit but will also have some packages where he plays QB. I could see him having a bigger play/formation package than what he had last year.

The twins are definitely getting more and more attention and I could see them pulling some bigger offers soon... they are absolutely huge now. Shawn Collins is another guy that has a chance to play major college ball if he works on a few things but he really needs this season to happen. Zavione Wood is the best player on the team but has lack of height working against him when it comes to college recruiting but I still think he has a chance of pulling some nice offers... he definitely deserves it. Of the Juniors Leftwich and Logan are the two guys with the most attention right now but I think you will see DT Stacy Williams have a monster year and garner a lot of attention. Also, Noah Collins is someone I could see as one of Salem's main breakout player this year. He was really good on the DL when he finally got a chance to see the field late in the season.

As good as lot of these skill players are I actually think that the rising sophomore and freshman class has even more talent and they have some guys with elite speed and athletic ability. Jamien Lingenfelter, Landen Goins and Peyton Lewis are some names to keep an eye on. Also, the eight grade Andrew Lewis team from last year might be the best middle school football team I have ever seen. The biggest challenge for Salem moving forward for both this year and the next several years is up front. They don't have the same type of talent and size on the lines at this point to compliment the ability of these skill players and will really need to develop some guys to be able to compete at the highest level.

Sorry, I know you were just asking about Logan... I probably didn't need to post all of that.
No sir, I appreciate it. Feels good to just be talking about a football and not politics.

Reactions: WP02alum
I honestly have no idea. After what happened the last three seasons, I've lost some enthusiasm, and the current situation doesn't help, so I haven't kept up with the latest names. Also, one of JV's best players got badly injured and I doubt he'll play again. QB Landon Wilson will be back, but we'll have a young and inexperienced team at almost every position.

Just my guess but, I think he will be used much the same way as he was last year. He gives you a lot of options because of his versatility.

I think the Sr Chaney will still be the QB because he has the best arm of the potential candidates. He makes good decisions and he was the starter last year. Prototypical Salem QB.

Jr Logan (Deuce) could be the QB because he's the best athlete of the bunch. He runs well with the ball, makes good decisions, and can throw the ball pretty well. (especially on the run) The downside would be Salem doesn't usually use their QB both ways and he is valuable on Def as a safety.

The 3rd option would be Jr Phillips. He has played QB as an 8th grader and some on JV. He's a pretty versatile player as well. He could be a WR or a S/DB also. He is very quick and makes good moves. Can run and throw pretty well as a QB. The downside is he is smaller and maybe more vulnerable to injury? Tough kid.

The 4th option at QB would be to use Soph Wilson. He was the JV QB last year. Runs well and can throw pretty good. He just needs to work on his comfort and confidence. He is a really good CB as well.

I expect Salem will keep things pretty similar to last year, but if they want to they have some options on offense and defense to switch things up. I don't mean the whole system, just with personnel and how they are used. With the twins getting so big they could be used at DE and have Phillips and Wilson take their spots in the secondary on occasion for example.

Zavione is the best player on the team and I think if the season happens he'll be an exciting RB to watch running behind FB Leftwich.

Collins is the best WR. I hope the season happens because he deserves some next level looks.

This is GW's chance while Glass is reloading lol
I don’t expect Glass to drop off any. Too many IFs for GW and history has repeated itself too many times. GW was loaded this past year and came up well short. The favorites to face Salem in the region championship is still Glass.

Monacan will have a few playmakers and a QB that can sling it. We might fair better this year. Last year we were very young and only had 3 seniors that really contributed. Hopefully our youngins have had some growth from last season and there are a lot of returning starters. Our problem is depth, last year the injury bug hit us hard and that got exposed in a big way. Again, I worry about depth this season but we should be in a better position. To be honest, I just hope we can all line up and play ball. My own senior year was one of the highlights of my life and i hope our boys get to live that too.

Jeb Byrnes for GW, I think he’s better than Hunter tbh and if he gets some solid reps at QB this year I think he’ll prove it.
I’m 100% with you! Hunter is one of the toughest football players I’ve ever seen come out of Danville. Kid had so much grit and heart. I’d also add that Hunter and Jeb’s mom and dad are two of the nicest people you’ll find. Hard not to root for the Byrnes boys! Jeb is a little faster and throws a deep ball that I’ve only seen Hunter throw consistently (no disrespect to Los Poole or TJ Price, two very good GW QBs of the past ). It’s going to be fun to watch the Jeb to Shy connection.

Reactions: lyhsports
Tucker is legit. Excellent young man if I must add.
I'm going to give Halifax's Tucker Harris his due. This young man sadly is flying under the radar. I know that people say that if a kid can play they'll find them. As a former coach...that's bs. If Tucker was at GW, Glass, LB, Heritage...he would have several FBS or FCS offers. I believe he was 1st team region last year and the young man is 6'4, 250 and probably around a 4.7 40. The kid has the frame and athleticism to become a monster. He should not end up lower than FCS, but I'm afraid he'll be lost even more with this jacked up year. Liberty, JMU, UVA..y'all need to get off your butts and go after Tucker Harris.

I'm going to give Halifax's Tucker Harris his due. This young man sadly is flying under the radar. I know that people say that if a kid can play they'll find them. As a former coach...that's bs. If Tucker was at GW, Glass, LB, Heritage...he would have several FBS or FCS offers. I believe he was 1st team region last year and the young man is 6'4, 250 and probably around a 4.7 40. The kid has the frame and athleticism to become a monster. He should not end up lower than FCS, but I'm afraid he'll be lost even more with this jacked up year. Liberty, JMU, UVA..y'all need to get off your butts and go after Tucker Harris.
I agree! If he was in Richmond, he’d have ACC offers.

The Epperley kid in Blacksburg is going to be fun to watch this year! All District, All Region, Sizzlin sophomore and All County/City! Saw him the other day and he has really developed during the off season and looks strong! Parker Epperley will be a name to remember once they get to play!

Check out this highlight!
For sure... he is a big-time player and athlete.

If half the kids in SOVA were in Richmond they’d get way more looks. Just look at Nasir Reynolds, 3rd string RB at GW who goes down to Texas and just got his first D1 offer from Drake the other day.
Yep! I believe Nasir has around 4 D1 offers now.

I talk to Tucker from time to time. Fine young man. If he played down the road at Person, he’d have NC State, ECU and App State offers. Person has sent 2 kids smaller than Tucker to big time D1 schools over the past 2 years.

I talk to Tucker from time to time. Fine young man. If he played down the road at Person, he’d have NC State, ECU and App State offers. Person has sent 2 kids smaller than Tucker to big time D1 schools over the past 2 years.
Tucker is a great athlete (basketball player as well), student, and young man. He will be a 4 year starter at DE and a 3 year starter on offense. Split time sophomore year at TE and moved to tackle this past year and I would assume he will remain there this year as well. I wish I knew his stats from last year, but I believe he had double digit sacks and was a total beast against Bassett and Magna Vista. He has film out there from 9th and 10th as well. I took these stats off of his NCSA page.

5-10-50 shuttle-4.5
Bench-305
Squat-350
Verical-30.0
Broad-8'2"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT