ADVERTISEMENT

Can anyone in 2A hang with Gate City?

I think the usual cast of characters from last season - Lee, Dan River - plus Radford (up from 1A) - and I never, ever count out Martinsville, even in a down year.

My team - Lee - needs some more time for their chemistry to develop - they have the talent.

I admit the Devils will be a tough out - McClung/Ervin tough duo - but on any given night, you know what they say.

One thing for sure - this is a special season to remember for SWVA basketball - McClung/Ervin (Gate City) and Lawson (Eastside) - this kind of talent doesn't come along very often at the same time.

Enjoy it!

I think the usual cast of characters from last season - Lee, Dan River - plus Radford (up from 1A) - and I never, ever count out Martinsville, even in a down year.

My team - Lee - needs some more time for their chemistry to develop - they have the talent.

I admit the Devils will be a tough out - McClung/Ervin tough duo - but on any given night, you know what they say.
Don't forget Dean. When postseason comes around, it's nice to have a 3rd player who can score when the top 2 might be below their averages. Last season Lee had George and Vaughan, but Williams doubling his scoring production in the 2A tournament was big.

Reactions: pizzzzza
After the impressive showing at the Arby's, can anyone in 2A beat GC? I know Radford will be tough, anyone else?
I think it is Gate City"s to win no doubt. My only question is after this showing in the Arby's against some really good competition, will they be able to turn it back on come playoff time. They'll go the next month and a half without playing a close game, so can they get that momentum back. You know McClung and Ervin will get their 60-65 combined, but will someone else step up. I know McClung had what, 68 against DR last year but it wasnt enough to get the W. Still, they have to be the heavy favorite to get that state championship for SWVa.

Second best team in Va maybe in same area/region as GC in Graham. G-MEN beat Mville with 2 players down and did it eazy

Second best team in Va maybe in same area/region as GC in Graham. G-MEN beat Mville with 2 players down and did it eazy
Martinsville is 4-4. Beating them does not automatically make you a state contender. Graham had a good team and they will probably make some noise in the playoffs, but still a long way to go. Martinsville beat RE Lee last year in the regular season and Radford twice but at the end of the year the Leemen and the Bobcats brought home the trophies and the Dogs were at home after the 1st round. Alot can change in a short time.

Last edited:
One thing for sure - this is a special season to remember for SWVA basketball - McClung/Ervin (Gate City) and Lawson (Eastside) - this kind of talent doesn't come along very often at the same time.

Enjoy it!
SWVA will end up sending three kids to P5 D1 schools. McClung in bball and Mitchell/Cooke in football. Great year for the area.

I think it is Gate City"s to win no doubt. My only question is after this showing in the Arby's against some really good competition, will they be able to turn it back on come playoff time. They'll go the next month and a half without playing a close game, so can they get that momentum back. You know McClung and Ervin will get their 60-65 combined, but will someone else step up. I know McClung had what, 68 against DR last year but it wasnt enough to get the W. Still, they have to be the heavy favorite to get that state championship for SWVa.

If you will recall, two years ago George Mason was 29-0 and won every game in a blowout except for the state qtrfinals against Graham, which they won at the buzzer. They then proceeded to loose in the final four to a relatively weak Greensville team in overtime. Without playing tough games its darn near impossible to be ready for them when and if the time comes. Then again, Mason didn't have a kid going to Georgetown on their roster! LOL!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead

First off, I agree that the G-MEN are very good. They are top 4 or 5 in 2A without question in my mind. The Martin guy is a player. Martinsville is very much a work in progress with several new pieces and I won't be shocked if they end up with 8 or 9 regular season losses given their schedule.

All that said, I'd like to remind you that the final score of that game only ended up being 8 points. Not too bad considering one team attempted 34 FTs and the other one attempted 7. And yea, i realize that a few of those were in the last couple minutes, but still the FT disparity is fairly noteworthy to say the least.

Reactions: AntGZee
Cade Hungate - Abingdon baseball will play at FSU next year. Scholorships athlete

Not sure the Big East is considered a power 5 confrence. I would agree the Big East Conference is a top 5 basketball confrence.

AND Graham lost big to Eastside. Eastside's basketball team was 0-2 at the Arby's, losing to a Greenville and a down Bahamas team. I know it was early for both teams but the Hudl highlights had what looked like all of Graham's best players on the court. By the end of the year Graham could be the team to beat. Great schedule will help them prepare. Radford has what looks like a fairly easy schedule they could be undefeated heading into the regional playoffs

Reactions: BigWinners
After the impressive showing at the Arby's, can anyone in 2A beat GC? I know Radford will be tough, anyone else?
All I can comment on is the basketball I watch. Radford defeated Auburn with Miles Jones leading the scoring, the next night Radford defeated a unbeaten Grayson Co with Cam Cormany leading the scoring and the next night they beat another unbeaten in George Wythe with Cam Edwards leading the scoring and if you you know anything about the Bobcats you will know none of those three are even the best Bobcat on the court. That title belongs to Quinton Morton Robertson who is the fastest PG I have ever seen at the high school level.

Martinsville is 4-4. Beating them does not automatically make you a state contender. Graham had a good team and they will probably make some noise in the playoffs, but still a long way to go. Martinsville beat RE Lee last year in the regular season and Radford twice but at the end of the year the Leemen and the Bobcats brought home the trophies and the Dogs were at home after the 1st round. Alot can change in a short time.

Never said beating them makes you a state contender. Thoze your words. Graham did beat M-Ville and one poster had M-Ville in top 5 and no mentionof Graham. That's all I'm saying

First off, I agree that the G-MEN are very good. They are top 4 or 5 in 2A without question in my mind. The Martin guy is a player. Martinsville is very much a work in progress with several new pieces and I won't be shocked if they end up with 8 or 9 regular season losses given their schedule.

All that said, I'd like to remind you that the final score of that game only ended up being 8 points. Not too bad considering one team attempted 34 FTs and the other one attempted 7. And yea, i realize that a few of those were in the last couple minutes, but still the FT disparity is fairly noteworthy to say the least.

True dat, final score by 8, but again, Graham without 2 key players in that game. Never dressed.

I think it is Gate City"s to win no doubt. My only question is after this showing in the Arby's against some really good competition, will they be able to turn it back on come playoff time. They'll go the next month and a half without playing a close game, so can they get that momentum back.

You are so right about that. IMO GC played better at Arbys last year than they did in the state playoffs.

Looks like Gate City was thinking the same thing, they play Cleveland TN. at the end of January. Clevenland beat Oak Ridge TN. by 12 and lost to Bearden by 3 this year. Bearden was impressive at Arby's. (finishing 3rd?) They also added an a solid Daneil Boone team at the end of their Schedule.

Cade Hungate - Abingdon baseball will play at FSU next year. Scholorships athlete

Not sure the Big East is considered a power 5 confrence. I would agree the Big East Conference is a top 5 basketball confrence.

AND Graham lost big to Eastside. Eastside's basketball team was 0-2 at the Arby's, losing to a Greenville and a down Bahamas team. I know it was early for both teams but the Hudl highlights had what looked like all of Graham's best players on the court. By the end of the year Graham could be the team to beat. Great schedule will help them prepare. Radford has what looks like a fairly easy schedule they could be undefeated heading into the regional playoffs
Big East is probably, historically, the best conference in college basketball history. It’s a shame that they broke up that conference the way that they did.

Reactions: BigWinners
All I can comment on is the basketball I watch. Radford defeated Auburn with Miles Jones leading the scoring, the next night Radford defeated a unbeaten Grayson Co with Cam Cormany leading the scoring and the next night they beat another unbeaten in George Wythe with Cam Edwards leading the scoring and if you you know anything about the Bobcats you will know none of those three are even the best Bobcat on the court. That title belongs to Quinton Morton Robertson who is the fastest PG I have ever seen at the high school level.
Haven’t seen QMR but Miles Jones is the real deal! I’d like to see Radford/Gate City & Dan River/Graham matchups.

Saying that Graham "maybe" the 2nd best team in Va due to beating Martinsville "2 players down & did it eazy" one might think you were suggesting they were state title contenders. Those be your words not mine.

Big East is probably, historically, the best conference in college basketball history. It’s a shame that they broke up that conference the way that they did.
DSH can't argue that the Big East was a great conference, but being an ACC fan since way before you were born( showing age again) since 1979 when the Big East started they have 8 Natty's, the ACC has 12. Just sayin... it's fun to speculate though. That era between about 83-92 watching Big East or ACC games was like watching an NBA game, stars on almost every team

DSH can't argue that the Big East was a great conference, but being an ACC fan since way before you were born( showing age again) since 1979 when the Big East started they have 8 Natty's, the ACC has 12. Just sayin... it's fun to speculate though. That era between about 83-92 watching Big East or ACC games was like watching an NBA game, stars on almost every team
Yes sir you are absolutely right about that!

yes he does , this isn't the other board Blacksburg is in SW Va ,

I'm not talking about any forum or anything in particular. Blacksburg isn't SWVA traditionally. Is Roanoke SWVA? No.

Who cares anyway? Why are you being so defensive?

Wasn't aware the AHS kid is going to FSU, that's very cool.

Depending on the seeding, I believe the quarters would be absolutely earliest, but likely semis or finals of a state tourney.
When could be the earliest Radford and Gate City could play?

Here's the breakdown of the four regions in 2A:

Region A: Amelia, Arcadia, Bluestone, Bruton, Brunswick, Goochland, Greensville, King William, Nandua, Nottoway, Poquoson, Prince Edward, Randolph-Henry, Maggie Walker GS

Region B: Buffalo Gap, Central (Woodstock), Clarke County, East Rockingham, R.E. Lee (Staunton), Luray, Madison County, George Mason, Page County, Strasburg, Stuarts Draft, Wilson Memorial

Region C: Appomattox, Buckingham Co., Chatham, Dan River, Floyd Co., Fort Chiswell, Giles, Glenvar, Gretna, James River (Buchanan), Nelson County, Martinsville, Radford

Region D: John Battle, Central (Wise),Gate City, Graham, Grayson, Lebanon, Lee, Marion, Richlands, Ridgeview, Tazewell, Union, Virginia

So Radford and Gate City are in different regions, so they wouldn't meet (assuming they both make it that far) until at least state quarterfinals.

I don't know the setup this year yet.

Reactions: AntGZee
Just for fun, I would consider these the favorites out of each region:

Region D: Gate City, Graham, Grayson (played Radford tough in only loss), Union (if they were at full strength - losing Slagle was a huge blow)
Region C: Dan River, Radford, Martinsville (always in the hunt) - TOUGH region
Region B: R E Lee (don't sleep on them), East Rock (split with Central, beat Madison), Central Woodstock, Madison
Region A: Goochland and Bruton probably the best of the group - region appears to be down this year

Saying that Graham "maybe" the 2nd best team in Va due to beating Martinsville "2 players down & did it eazy" one might think you were suggesting they were state title contenders. Those be your words not mine.

Graham might be, but don't matter, a poster had MV in top 5 and no mention of Graham. Dat ain't possible. Graham beat em

I'm not talking about any forum or anything in particular. Blacksburg isn't SWVA traditionally. Is Roanoke SWVA? No.

Who cares anyway? Why are you being so defensive?

BBurg ain't southwest VA? LMAO. I hail from Nottoway. Any an all west of Roanoke is 100% southwest VA. Whether dose in near Kentucky or T-see don't matter. With 9 in 10 peeps in Va livin east of Roanoke, trust me, the voices say BBurg is easy SWVA.

Reactions: bigrob_419
ADVERTISEMENT