ADVERTISEMENT

Can the announcer???

Bo Bob

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 1, 2016
So, I run the chains at the Appomattox games. Our last home game when we were playing 3A Heritage we scored first and were holding our own at the time ( before we started giving them the ball every chance we had).

Here's the question. Can the announcer hype the crowd?? Our announcer would try to help get the crowd into the game on third downs. "Raider Nation, its third down!!!" The head coach for heritage was not happy that it made it hard to communicate with his team and complained to the officials who I guess used the mic to talk to the press box and shut it down.

Is the announcer not allowed to do that????

So, I run the chains at the Appomattox games. Our last home game when we were playing 3A Heritage we scored first and were holding our own at the time ( before we started giving them the ball every chance we had).

Here's the question. Can the announcer hype the crowd?? Our announcer would try to help get the crowd into the game on third downs. "Raider Nation, its third down!!!" The head coach for heritage was not happy that it made it hard to communicate with his team and complained to the officials who I guess used the mic to talk to the press box and shut it down.

I have heard the announcer try to get home fans pumped from little league, high school, college and even the NFL. I dont see anything wrong with it. All part of that “ Home Field Advantage “

Reactions: Kimosabe5

Amherst announcer gets the crowd into the game but saying that's another Lancer first down and then tells the crowd to make noise. If the coach at Heritage does that, then he needs to remind the Heritage band to not play while the opposing team is lining up.

Pay attention to the PA system at City Stadium talk about obnoxious and Brad Bradley thinks he has a right to say something!!!!

Reactions: Bo Bob
I think there is a home field announcer at every school. I can't recall the last time I heard one that was really neutral. However, it does seem to stick in my mind that I read once that the VHSL does encourage them to be neutral. But if so, it is obviously not enforced.

So apparently the Heritage coach has a leg to stand on.
Don't like it and I feel that as long as your doing things in good sportsmanship it should not be an issue.

The Heritage coach was correct. Below is from the NFHS, and VHSL has similar guidance. Having said that, virtually no high school announcer is totally unbiased.

Announcer’s Responsibilities:
The announcer’s role does not include “cheering the home team on” or otherwise
inciting the crowd. Doing so is common at other levels of athletic events. But high
school athletics is different because sports are educationally based.
In a very real sense, the public address announcer at a high school event is a
“Champion of Character”.
He/she can influence the atmosphere of the contest by what is said and how it is said.
The announcer who performs professionally promotes good sportsmanship by what
he/she says and how he/she acts upon saying it.

Don't like it and I feel that as long as your doing things in good sportsmanship it should not be an issue.

The Heritage coach was correct. Below is from the NFHS, and VHSL has similar guidance. Having said that, virtually no high school announcer is totally unbiased.

inciting the crowd. Doing so is common at other levels of athletic events. But high
“Champion of Character”.
He/she can influence the atmosphere of the contest by what is said and how it is said.
Brad needs to go play at Franklin and see how it is. My only experience there seemed more like a pickup basketball game at Rucker Park than a high school football announcer.

At other places, I have heard PA announcers say things like "It's interesting that the coach isn't calling a timeout here" when it was obvious the coach thought the clock stopped but it was actually running. Or guys who were completely neutral and showed no favoritism towards the home crowd. Lots of things happen. I've always considered it part of the home field advantage.

• Haha
Seriously listen to their PA and tell me they abide 100 percent. I goto other games there when oportunity arises wether it be Glass or Heritage playing.

Kinda my thoughts!

Hey Bo would that announcer happen to be good ole Sam Carter lol? I know he announced Appomattox home games for years.

“Champion of Character”.
Bo, here is the catch. This is suggested behavior. Not a rule or regulation.
Furthermore, it is clearly outside of the purview of the Officials to control, or enforce any penal action. If it is to be addressed, it would have to be by the host schools Administrator on duty.

If the officials reached out to the press booth at your game, it was purely to try to calm an awkward situation. Nothing more.

I think a “reasonable” effort to get the home crowd cheering at certain times, such as 3rd downs when on defense, is considered acceptable. As long as it’s done in good taste. I don’t see it much different than the cheerleaders getting the crowd cheering.

By rule, it's allowed. Those are suggestions and there is nothing preventing the PA announcer by rule to get the crowd fired up. But, the PA announcer isn't supposed to do this once the opposing team breaks the huddle and through the snap count. An official could flag the home team if the PA announcer or even loud artificial noise makers (music piped through or train horns) are used from the time the opponent breaks the huddle until the time the ball is snapped. Other noise makers like air horns are never flagged and they are fine. Basically, about any noise or any loud commenting by the PA announcer is allowed, but the exception is once the team breaks the huddle until the time the ball is snapped.

It’s interesting. Usually before every game they read a statement about sportsmanship. I have to give props to the Galax announcer last week.On a couple occasions he praised Radford. I think that’s classy. I don’t have the rule book in front of me but as long as he doesn’t belittle the opponent or the officials or curse I think he’s not out of bounds.

This is Brad Bradley being Brad Bradley, wouldn't pay it any mind.

The Blacksburg announcer runs his own color commentary, although he probably has less to say these days.

This is the answer posted by a veteran White Hat to this question.

There is nothing in the Rule Book about this at all. The VHSL handbook addresses it here, but remember it's VHSL policy, not NFHS rules.

54-18-1 Bands-Participating schools' bands/pep bands are not allowed to play during
live ball situations at any VHSL event. Any deviation from this policy will constitute a VHSL
Sportsmanship Violation under Section 30 (Penalties/Fines) and may be defi ned as excessive
unsportsmanlike conduct ($300 fi ne).
Note: For the purpose of this rule in football, live ball situations begin with the offense
breaking the huddle or for no huddle off enses when the off ense begins getting into a
formation.

54-19-1 Artifi cially and/or Amplifi ed Noisemakers-The use of artifi cially and/or amplifi
ed noisemakers (examples of this include, but are not limited to, train or diesel horns,
amplifi ed guitar note or riff ) are not allowed during live ball situations at any VHSL event.
Any deviation from this policy will constitute a VHSL Sportsmanship Violation (Excessive
Unsportsmanlike Conduct - $300 Fine).
Note: For the purpose of this rule in football, live ball situations begin with the ball
being handled by the snapper.

There is actually no yardage penalty prescribed and I'm not in the habit of enforcing VHSL policy of $300 fines..

I've sent word to PA guys to stop it and they do. If there was a case where they didn't stop, I'd hold up the game until I got in touch with game management and had them stop it.

If there is something going on that a coach or referee believes is causing a problem with noise from the PA or artificial noisemakers, it has to be handled through an AD or whoever is in charge of the event.

My athletic director sends me a very detailed list of dos and don'ts from the VHSL. And this would seem to violate it, but there are many grey areas. They want the students to be the ones leading the cheers, not the adult announcer. I have a general rule that whatever I am saying, I get it done before the offense gets from the huddle to the line of scrimmage. And I do it when both teams have the ball.
Celebrating a first down right after the play like many schools do with their mascots sound, or like James Wood does is legit. But playing sounds or leading a cheer leading up to the snap violates the VHSL spirit. If I find the actual memo they sent, I will post it on a later post.

Short version here:

Contributes in a significant way to the atmosphere for the event
Should never be an advocate from behind the microphone
Use proper language at all times
Never criticize players, coaches, or officials
Should not attempt to be bigger than the game or event by doing play-by-play or by providing commentary

There is a much longer version that comes straight from NFHS, but I can't make that link on this site.

As a 64 yr old man living half mile from Heritage school and friends with alot of the teachers and administrators yes i do
So you know people that know him personally... I'd bet there are dozens of schools in VA that would love to have him. Just because he doesn't say "Gosh Darn" like Coach Smith doesn't make him a bad guy or coach.

So you know people that know him personally... I'd bet there are dozens of schools in VA that would love to have him. Just because he doesn't say "Gosh Darn" like Coach Smith doesn't make him a bad guy or coach.
I know him personally. Great guy despite the language he may use. They are a lot people that don't use curse words and are bad people. You always know where you stand with him.

I know him personally. Great guy despite the language he may use. They are a a lot people that don't use curse words and are bad people.
I don't know him personally but have spoken with him on several occasions, he has always been respectful to me & I find it hard to say anything negative about his tenure as a coach in VA.

Reactions: catchtds
Can't beatem, talk about him. I doubt he or the Pioneers care much. I don't think he had to curse so much in Raider Land unless he was cussing why the home team was giving them the ball so much.;)
We sure gave it to them enough that night!!!LOL!!

Don't know him personally. Only conversation I've ever had with him was fine. My boy approached him one time in the mall and he treated my son well and complimented him on a good year.
Seems his kids play hard for him and like him from what I can see. I have no doubt he cares about the kids he is working with.

I just know that what I heard that Friday night even the officials made comments about. And I never meant this to be a "bash BB thread" I only responded when that was brought up. Main reason on the PA announcer hyping up the crowd.
No doubt he's done a great job with Heritage football.

I have also worked the chains on the same sideline with Brad several times. As a former player, to me he seems like someone I would have loved to have played for but would have disliked him from the other sideline. He's very animated and fiery. His players love it, opponents hate it.

As for PA announcer participation, I'm all for it. Home field advantage. I remember years ago attending a game where the PA announcer would yell "pass" when his team was on defense and the other team's QB would drop back. Made me chuckle.

I don't know him personally but have spoken with him on several occasions, he has always been respectful to me & I find it hard to say anything negative about his tenure as a coach in VA.
I bet Appalachia has something to say about how he treated them in the state title game 20 years ago. He's run it up on a few teams due to some perceived negative slight his team. Kind of like how Jordan would make up a reason to push himself to destroy an opponent. I feel like BB has done that some and run the score up on a hapless opponent.

I bet Appalachia has something to say about how he treated them in the state title game 20 years ago. He's run it up on a few teams due to some perceived negative slight his team. Kind of like how Jordan would make up a reason to push himself to destroy an opponent. I feel like BB has done that some and run the score up on a hapless opponent.
You coach long enough, you have the score run up on you and sometimes your team does the running up.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT