ADVERTISEMENT

Can you...?

Sure, you can decline the distance penalty for any foul.

You can't decline any other aspect of it that would have an effect, such as two unsportsmanlike conducts causes a player to be disqualified even if the distance penalties have been declined.

I heard of a head coach getting an unsportsmanlike conduct for something that was correct (by rule) but entirely out of his control: the homecoming activity made the halftime 35 minute long.

The opposing team declined the 15 yards, which was the honorable thing to do. If, however, a second USC foul was given to the coach, he would have been ejected.

Thankfully that did not happen.

Thank you, my friend. I always appreciate you, and the others, taking the time to answer my many questions.

I'm especially appreciative of the way you add the "realistic" way the rules are applied. There is a time for strict adherence to the "letter of the law", and a time when understanding the intent of a rule, and using common sense in its applications is the proper choice. (Such as what you described in my other post about time-outs).

Reactions: White hat
Thank you, my friend. I always appreciate you, and the others, taking the time to answer my many questions.

I'm especially appreciative of the way you add the "realistic" way the rules are applied. There is a time for strict adherence to the "letter of the law", and a time when understanding the intent of a rule, and using common sense in its applications is the proper choice. (Such as what you described in my other post about time-outs).
I have learned at times to just let some things because it is the right thing to do. Not by the rule book, but just plain ole common sense.

Reactions: bulldog1150
I have learned at times to just let some things because it is the right thing to do. Not by the rule book, but just plain ole common sense.
Thank you, I wish there were more officials like you and White Hat and a few others that occasionally post on this forum, out there sharing your experience and wisdom with the younger refs. As we all know, recruiting and retaining officials gets harder and harder each year. When you veterans finally hang up your whistle, it's not going to be pretty.
Thank you all for what you do.

Reactions: White hat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT