ADVERTISEMENT

Casto Stepping Down at RHS

Each coach knows when his time is right. Thanks for the memories, best of luck, and it will of course be interesting to see who takes over and of course how solid the program remains. My personal opinion is that the foundation has been in place all these years and that RHS will be just fine.

Reactions: naildriver91
Casto always did things the right way. Old school and didn't give a darn what anybody thought because he had faith in what he was doing. More coaches should emulate his style of simplicity, execution, and fundamentals. Always got the impression that those kids would run through a wall for him and it showed on the field. Anybody would have been lucky to have their son play for him and that is about the biggest compliment that I can give anyone.

He left it better than he found it and that is important to coaches as well.

Reactions: uvacavs1
I have to say that there were rumblings over the last few years of his departure. I hate to see it but I appreciate all he has done for the community over these years. He will be remembered for his commitment to the players even more than his record. If anyone deserves to go out on their own terms its Coach Casto.

When my kids played there coach Norcross and Coach Hemp told me they would stay as long as Coach Casto was there. Going to be interesting if they step down too. With Coach Wassick retired as well thats a lot of holes to fill. Going to be a no win situation for whoever takes over. Everybody knows Casto made that offensive line what they were. IMO I see a totally different team and a huge drop off. Casto was a master of getting all he could out of the talent he had and putting people in the right positions to succeed. All good things must come to an end eventually. It was one heck of a ride and Im sure theyre are quite a few coaches celebrating him stepping down today. Good luck in your retirement Coach Casto and Thank You for all you have done for Riverheads and the community. Friday nights just wont be the same.

I never thought I’d see the day. Casto and Riverheads were just something I’ve grown accustomed to in my life time.

This is not only a large shakeup in the shenandoah but also 1A.

Love or hate the man there is no denying his place next to the coaching greats in Virginia

What's his actual career record? I know he was the head coach at Chincoteague in the early 90s. Where was he before he landed at Riverheads?

A sad day for riverheads but I believe he's left the foundation and culture to succes. I think someone can step in and continue to win.

Feel that breeze? Thats the rest of 1A breathing a sigh of relief.

Congratulations to Coach Casto on an amazing career.

Someone said they think he was talking to Tibbs at Staunton ? Anyone know anything ?

Outstanding coach. He was able to not only win but dominate with old school smash mouth football in a day when most think you need to spread them and air it out. Not from Riverheads nor do I even know Coach Casto but as a casual hs football fan I did watch several of their games and I enjoyed watching his offence. Good luck to Coach Casto and the Riverheads community. One other thing I would like to add is that the numbers thing that some complain about does not matter. I believe he and his staff taught kids how to BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK with what they had and beat teams up. He taught them an outstanding work ethic on the football field that will carry them far throughout life.

Someone said they think he was talking to Tibbs at Staunton ? Anyone know anything ?
already had the tibbs era at rhs, he wont be back, XCROSS why don't u put your name in the hat, 2 jobs r open, head coach for varsity and jv GO BIG RED

Riverheads will be fine for the next few years as talent is already in the pipeline.
Casto is one of the all-time greatest high school football coaches. He built a powerhouse program that seemed to take any kid and get the most out of them. I for one wish Coach Casto and his family much health and happiness in the future.

Our area has had 3 of the All-Time greatest Virginia High School coaches in all 3 major sports.
Hatcher at Lee for basketball. Bowers at Wilson for baseball and now add coach Casto in football at Riverheads.

They seem to be cut from similar molds..... The way the world is today, this successful formula I wonder if it can continue to work...

Congratulations to Coach Casto and Riverheads on an amazing career.

Without a doubt the man got the absolute best out of the student population and community in which he was in charge of. He knew what he had and played the style of football perfectly to enable them to have major success. Well done.

He had a three-peat going (almost 4) and would have won it again the next year and maybe the year after and so on.

Time for well deserved break. I like the line "I want to still ride on the bus, I just don't want to drive it anymore"...

Now, who is nuts enough to follow Coach Casto at Riverheads?

There is no where to go but stay the same or go downhill (no matter how much the new man works)

Expectations are so insanely high at Riverheads it is a no win situation.

What is the saying? Never be the guy who follows the legend.....

Congratulations to Coach Casto and Riverheads on an amazing career.

Without a doubt the man got the absolute best out of the student population and community in which he was in charge of. He knew what he had and played the style of football perfectly to enable them to have major success. Well done.

He had a three-peat going (almost 4) and would have won it again the next year and maybe the year after and so on.

Time for well deserved break. I like the line "I want to still ride on the bus, I just don't want to drive it anymore"...

Yep, I think he's pretty much accomplished all there is to accomplish at this point...short of a 4 peat or 5 peat.....or 6 peat..

Reactions: uvacavs1
Now, who is nuts enough to follow Coach Casto at Riverheads?

There is no where to go but stay the same or go downhill (no matter how much the new man works)

Expectations are so insanely high at Riverheads it is a no win situation.

What is the saying? Never be the guy who follows the legend.....
In most cases I would agree but I think if the right person takes over it doesn't have to be a bad thing. My opinion is that if the person has reverence for the past with confidence about the future then the transition can go just fine. I will say that there is a long shadow cast but Coach Casto was also humble enough to not put himself above the system or all of the staff and support that made it possible. Class act through and through.

Whether the coach comes from within the Riverheads network or someone brand new, the absolute worst mistake he could make would be to try and implement any major changes. A smart man will sit back at least that first year and observe what he has inherited and THEN see if he needs to make any changes. But from where I have been sitting these last 20-odd years, the RHS football program is the classic case of something that is not broken and therefore will not need fixing.

I guess we shall now find out XCross theory that it is the players and not the coaches, since he said that they weren't important.

Casto is a super nice man who is looked at differently because of how he was on sideline. Congratulations to him on a great career and hope he enjoys retirement. There have been rumors of this for quite a few years now

Reactions: Bama1985
Whether the coach comes from within the Riverheads network or someone brand new, the absolute worst mistake he could make would be to try and implement any major changes. A smart man will sit back at least that first year and observe what he has inherited and THEN see if he needs to make any changes. But from where I have been sitting these last 20-odd years, the RHS football program is the classic case of something that is not broken and therefore will not need fixing.
This is true in some respects but as a coach I would think you would put your style in it Casto system is very good and very successful but if someone would come in and not know system they would not be very good

There is a lot more systems out there that are very successful you just got to know how to coach them don’t forget coach probably the best OL coach in state of Virginia which is why is system so successful

I guess we shall now find out XCross theory that it is the players and not the coaches, since he said that they weren't important.

Casto is a super nice man who is looked at differently because of how he was on sideline. Congratulations to him on a great career and hope he enjoys retirement. There have been rumors of this for quite a few years now
I think an old man with a tractor could get the Red Team to Salem next year ! From listening to the podcast I don't blame Casto from hanging it up . He has raised the bar to the top and whoever takes over , if smart will almost let the players coach the coach for a while . Don't upset the cart !
Hope he can enjoy his time away from the gridiron and keep his health . He has reached a point that time with his family is more important than another hand full of Rings . Chances are some ole man might show him how to fish in the fall . I hear he can't fish a lick ! Best of luck coach . Remember once a Gladiator always a Gladiator !
GO BIG RED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From what I remember, you were picking up tractor parts and ended up at one of the Chilhowie playoff games. So is "an old man with a tractor" you?
This is how we find out who xcross is, we blindly hire xcross as coach.

I couldn't care less about his fishing skills. If he finds something to work hard and smart at post-football, he will be as good at that as he is at coaching football.

I think an old man with a tractor could get the Red Team to Salem next year ! From listening to the podcast I don't blame Casto from hanging it up . He has raised the bar to the top and whoever takes over , if smart will almost let the players coach the coach for a while . Don't upset the cart !
Hope he can enjoy his time away from the gridiron and keep his health . He has reached a point that time with his family is more important than another hand full of Rings . Chances are some ole man might show him how to fish in the fall . I hear he can't fish a lick ! Best of luck coach . Remember once a Gladiator always a Gladiator !
GO BIG RED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So then what would constitute you being wrong and that a lot of it had to do with coaching? No title? No trip to Salem?

Did anyone hear the wind blow in SD ?

Nope. Its almost like you want to ignore your trolling now that Casto is gone. One of those "don't know what you got til gone?"

Instead of just admitting you were just talking (which we all know was all it was), you doubled down in this thread, saying an old man on a tractor could get them to Salem, obviously another joke.

Look at it like this, taking your team out of it. Let's use 3 different high profile teams, at differing levels of flux. If Saban left Alabama, would they still be at the same level? Now that Urban is gone, does Ohio State stay at the same level? And the age old debate, who is more valuable to the Patriots, Brady or Belichick.

@Xcross, you actually put yourself in a no win situation, which is why you shouldn't say things like you have, even in jest, about the coaching. If Riverheads doesn't perform to the same level, it surely looks like Casto was the main reason. If Riverheads stays on top next year or next couple years, it looks like it could still be from the previous coaching the players have received. The ONLY way your preposterous assertions, which again anyone knows you actually dont believe, is if they have the same success after the players currently in the program have moved on, or if a new coach moves in and completely overhauled the program, and even then you could have those saying it's the new coach.

Nope. Its almost like you want to ignore your trolling now that Casto is gone. One of those "don't know what you got til gone?"

Instead of just admitting you were just talking (which we all know was all it was), you doubled down in this thread, saying an old man on a tractor could get them to Salem, obviously another joke.

Look at it like this, taking your team out of it. Let's use 3 different high profile teams, at differing levels of flux. If Saban left Alabama, would they still be at the same level? Now that Urban is gone, does Ohio State stay at the same level? And the age old debate, who is more valuable to the Patriots, Brady or Belichick.

@Xcross, you actually put yourself in a no win situation, which is why you shouldn't say things like you have, even in jest, about the coaching. If Riverheads doesn't perform to the same level, it surely looks like Casto was the main reason. If Riverheads stays on top next year or next couple years, it looks like it could still be from the previous coaching the players have received. The ONLY way your preposterous assertions, which again anyone knows you actually dont believe, is if they have the same success after the players currently in the program have moved on, or if a new coach moves in and completely overhauled the program, and even then you could have those saying it's the new coach.
I believe I could troll 30 mph with buffalo chips and you would jump on the stink . Take a chill pill ! All the B.S. I have posted is just that B.S. , Riverheads has had a 20 plus year ride of the best coaches around and with those guys at the helm , they have turned Riverheads Football into envy of most 1A and 2A schools in the state . I congratulate them and all the young men who were lucky enough to have go thru the program. Coach Casto has done a masterful job with the program and should start teaching his methods to other programs everywhere. I wish him the best and should he find the desire to coach in the future , may he always be a Gladiator . Once a Gladiator always a Gladiator !

From what I remember, you were picking up tractor parts and ended up at one of the Chilhowie playoff games. So is "an old man with a tractor" you?
This is how we find out who xcross is, we blindly hire xcross as coach.

I couldn't care less about his fishing skills. If he finds something to work hard and smart at post-football, he will be as good at that as he is at coaching football.
Most of us on here could care less who xcross is....just saying.

I believe I could troll 30 mph with buffalo chips and you would jump on the stink . Take a chill pill ! All the B.S. I have posted is just that B.S. , Riverheads has had a 20 plus year ride of the best coaches around and with those guys at the helm , they have turned Riverheads Football into envy of most 1A and 2A schools in the state . I congratulate them and all the young men who were lucky enough to have go thru the program. Coach Casto has done a masterful job with the program and should start teaching his methods to other programs everywhere. I wish him the best and should he find the desire to coach in the future , may he always be a Gladiator . Once a Gladiator always a Gladiator !

I'm glad I could finally get you to acknowledge your wonderful coaching staff. Job done here

If who ever they pick is disciple of Coach Casto then stick with what he done but if not I rather a new coach be his own guy

Be interesting if there is a younger coach in Giles who wants an potential opportunity... (giles single wing is similar as are the communities.

I heard today that Giles head coach might be interested. They said his wife is from this area. May be just a rumor but that would be an interesting hire.

That would be interesting.

On a completely separate note, anyone looking for a good laugh, go to the SWVA board to see some of the classy comments from our brethren to the south about Coaches departure. I expected nothing less though.

Reactions: honestjohn60
Im sure theyre happy hes leaving. They are probably tired of getting there butts whipped and figure that will change since hes gone.

I am certainly not lumping them all in together because some of those guys are great to chew on football with. However there are some that find any excuse to show themselves as irrational. It really doesn't matter since they are unknown entities that are entitled to their opinion like I am.

#RollPride

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT