ADVERTISEMENT

ChancellorFan - Battlefield next year

86CulpGrad

VaPreps All District
May 29, 2001
Just curious to see who you think may challenge EV in the district next year. I know that Courtland loses a lot of seniors, but they did have quite a few juniors this year also. JM loses 20 seniors. Chancellor loses quite a few seniors as well. EV does lose some great seniors, but they do still have a lot in the tank for next year.

I also believe that Chancellor will a lot better. That isn't because I'm an Alum either. Not predicting they will be a state contender but they will be a lot better in year 2 of Coach Glessner's system.

Heard Courtland was going to be good this year and it didn't pan out so I'm not a believer until the season starts next year. My rankings look like this...

1. Eastern View
2. Courtland
3. King George
4. James Monroe
5. Chancellor
6. Spotsylvania
7. Caroline

Heard Courtland was going to be good this year and it didn't pan out so I'm not a believer until the season starts next year. My rankings look like this...

1. Eastern View
2. Courtland
3. King George
4. James Monroe
5. Chancellor
6. Spotsylvania
7. Caroline
While Courtland did seem to improve throughout the year, I'm assuming some of their best players won't be back. They did have a good JV team though.

Just curious to see who you think may challenge EV in the district next year. I know that Courtland loses a lot of seniors, but they did have quite a few juniors this year also. JM loses 20 seniors. Chancellor loses quite a few seniors as well. EV does lose some great seniors, but they do still have a lot in the tank for next year.
KG was very young this year, didn't lose a lot. Graduated their entire d-line, just about everyone else is returning.

1. Eastern View
2. Courtland
3. King George
4. James Monroe
5. Chancellor
6. Spotsylvania
7. Caroline

With EV seeming to be a perennial power, 2nd for a team you don't believe in doesn't seem bad.

Is that a case of all others being low? What happened to JM? They seemed like the were always one of the top teams to pick for title run?

I dont know area so just curious

With EV seeming to be a perennial power, 2nd for a team you don't believe in doesn't seem bad.

Is that a case of all others being low? What happened to JM? They seemed like the were always one of the top teams to pick for title run?

2nd just because Coach Hall is at the helm

Weelllll .... Chancellor did not lose a lot of seniors. They didn't have that many to lose. Another one of those small senior classes and we struggled keeping many of them healthy so they were never all on the field. The good news is there are many underclassmen, even freshmen that are rising sophomores with lots of varsity experience now. I believe the future looks bright and the Chargers will have a better year. Not only do I see the talent level stepping up but I see better numbers (as in qty) and the underclassmen at all levels really buying in ... no, loving this program. Lets just say its better and different than I have seen in the past few years.

EV does lose some horse power but they are the top dog until someone proves they aren't. Great program. Same thing with Courtland. King George is a spark to watch. They have a huge offensive line coming back but they will be without Coach Smith at the helm. I really, really hate to see him step down as the head coach. Search the FLS over the last week for details if you haven't heard. JM is losing a bunch! But one never, never counts the Jackets out until someone puts them out! Caroline is going to put that talent they have in line one day and when they do there will be the devil to pay in the Battlefield. This year? It could happen. Now the one that has me really looking is Spotsy. Honestly, I don't like the single wing at this level (lets not argue that, we all have our opinions) but it can be very effective. And what I saw was the Knights honing, honing and honing! They get the right skill sets in the right place and they can make a lot of noise.

No, way too early for me to rank them all. EV will be the top dog until they aren't.

Reactions: OCBoy

Not that I want to point at the obvious and I understand the levels of competition, but JM is the only Battlefield team still in the playoffs. 2PM this Saturday at Maury stadium they will be playing for the 3B region championship vs Culpeper. Just sayin'....

Not that I want to point at the obvious and I understand the levels of competition, but JM is the only Battlefield team still in the playoffs. 2PM this Saturday at Maury stadium they will be playing for the 3B region championship vs Culpeper. Just sayin'....
...and they'll more than likely win that and be a regional champ. BUT.....3B is just way down this year. Still an accomplishment though. Whoever wins this game will get dusted in the next round.

I know that. But the talk on them on here has changed. It used to be they are so good and the coach takes them over the top and he doesn't lose etc. Just wondering what has changed

I know that. But the talk on them on here has changed. It used to be they are so good and the coach takes them over the top and he doesn't lose etc. Just wondering what has changed
We'll just have to see what happens over the next couple years to see if there's a "changing of the guard" so to speak. I've just never seen the Battlefield be so blah (other than Eastern View). People are really trying to pump up Spotsy/Caroline, but I didn't really see it.....and now Caroline has to replace yet another head coach.

We'll just have to see what happens over the next couple years to see if there's a "changing of the guard" so to speak. I've just never seen the Battlefield be so blah (other than Eastern View). People are really trying to pump up Spotsy/Caroline, but I didn't really see it.....and now Caroline has to replace yet another head coach.

I forgot about the Caroline HC change. Slipped my mind. That'll have an impact. So two Battlefield District teams will have new coaches. I have to agree. This has been the most down year I have seen in the Battlefield as a whole. I would suspect it will not stay that way for long. I have seen just about all of these teams have good years and bad as talent and numbers come and go.

I think what has changed is talent comes and talent goes. My first year here I saw JM (not a part of the Battlefield at the time I don't believe) go 0-10. Same HC. Kinda hard to say that after seeing them show up in so many title games since then. They'll be back ... tough as ever!

As a side note, certainly not an excuse and maybe a different subject, JM is a city school surrounded by two of the fastest growing counties in the state. They are very limited in their ability to grow while just a couple miles away subdivisions are going up like crazy. Their growth and influx of new blood is tiny comparably. When looking at the situation in Spotsylvania, its a little frustrating to see two of the best 8th grade teams in the area send the vast majority of their players to either Riverbend (a 6A school in the county) or a Massaponax (a 5A team in the county) because that's where the growth has been over the last few years. Been that way forever and the coaches do a great job in wringing out the talent. But ... its really hard to coach some tangibles. Just something I keep in mind as I watch things ebb and flow over the years.

Spotsylvania County should really consider redrawing lines so that the county schools were more on par with each other, similar to what Stafford has going. I think it's ridiculous that they have a division 3, (2) division 4s, a 5, and a 6 all in the same county. They should spread those kids around and have all division 4s and 5s. The rivalries would become epic. Hell, Courtland finally stopped playing Ponax and Riverbend because of the disparity, and that's a shame.

Reactions: one man
Nothing has changed just a weak ass region

Nothing has changed just a weak ass region

You are missing my point. I can see that the region is weak, but in the not so distant past, they were talked about weekly and yearly as the favorite. I remember one year they started out really slow and had a pretty bad record around middle of season and they were still talked about as favorite to win championship. I dont remember seeing them talked about like that even before season started, so something has changed.

It used to be that after a rare loss, that I think it was the coaches son would come on here and get into it with peiple

You are missing my point. I can see that the region is weak, but in the not so distant past, they were talked about weekly and yearly as the favorite. I remember one year they started out really slow and had a pretty bad record around middle of season and they were still talked about as favorite to win championship. I dont remember seeing them talked about like that even before season started, so something has changed.

It used to be that after a rare loss, that I think it was the coaches son would come on here and get into it with peiple
My apologies that was my response in thinking about this year. I think Serbay is slowing down and is possibly gonna hang it up soon.

My apologies that was my response in thinking about this year. I think Serbay is slowing down and is possibly gonna hang it up soon.

Just seem that the talk is different or not there. Like I said don't know the area, I didn't know if had a coaching change or something.

Just seem that the talk is different or not there. Like I said don't know the area, I didn't know if had a coaching change or something.
Serbay has been at James Monroe for 30+ years so that’s a good question. The battlefield all around is down this year.

I'd say EV is head and shoulders above the rest until they actually lose a district game.

I would not rule out fans getting quiet when their teams are having an off year along with the other possibilities noted.

I would not rule out fans getting quiet when their teams are having an off year along with the other possibilities noted.

I could be wrong, but my understanding was these people weren't all JM fans. I'm not talking bad about the team, just generally curious. I know one of the biggest posters was shauntclair and he isn't around anymore. I thought maybe the coach was gone

I could be wrong, but my understanding was these people weren't all JM fans. I'm not talking bad about the team, just generally curious. I know one of the biggest posters was shauntclair and he isn't around anymore. I thought maybe the coach was gone

I know your not trying to talk bad about the teams. Not sure what happened to shauntclair. I believe his sons graduated from Courtland and he moved once or twice. So maybe he's just lost interest in this area. As for the JM guys ... not really sure either but suspect some moved on and others knowing the its a somewhat down year are focusing on other things. I think if could be a little of the "we're doing great so more folks want to be involved" syndrome. I joined the board in Oct 2001 two years after I moved here and my situation is a little different than some (no sons, just the love of the game and following my Chargers). I can say there are just a few of the "old timers" still around that I chatted with or seen post regularly. Lafayette is one. There are a few others. Many, many more have come and gone.

And hey Gunz, old MSgt here ... some folks just aren't as dedicated as others are. It is what it is!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT