ADVERTISEMENT

Changes to VHSL football

AdvocateOfMany434

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 13, 2015
757 Area
Read this today...

https://www.heraldcourier.com/sport...cle_1332f4f8-1c74-11ea-8096-9f6800a6b810.html

Here is a highlight from story:

While no change would be likely until at least 2021, the VHSL director said several possible moves to cut one week from the football season are under consideration:

>>> Eliminating one week of the preseason and one preseason scrimmage.

>>> Playing a nine-week regular season.

>>> Eliminating the bye week and compressing the regular season to 10 weeks.

>>> Cutting the playoffs back from five games to four games.

Reducing the number of regular-season games seems unlikely. Schools rely on revenue from home football games to operate their athletic departments.

High school kids need a bye week. Getting rid of it is doing a drastic disservice to the kids. If the VHSL was really worried about the kids, get rid of a benefit game or a scrimmage, but that won't happen because they get the revenue.

Reactions: Bo Bob
IF changes must be made
My sincere guess is 1 scrimmage will be eliminated ( I can live with) and the playoffs reduced to 4 teams per region (Not a fan). 2 weeks will be eliminated. No chance the regular season gets cut to 9 games due to revenue for the schools. Personally, I would like to see it go back to the old way in regards to playoffs of 1-16 and combine region A/B and C/D. But that will not happen and I believe that ship has sailed. Eliminate 1 scrimmage and move the first game up a week. Reduce the season by 1 week if that is what they want. They want the state title games on Thanksgiving weekend so they need 2 weeks off. As for the bye weeks, I have no problem either way in regards to eliminate or keep. Bottom line most bye weeks happen very early in the season and some schools have them in week 0 or week 1. Then play 10 straight or 9 straight etc etc Ultimately-reducing playoffs wouldn't effect some regions as they just aren't good from top to bottom but other regions who are very deep (Region B) will get hurt.
In closing--eliminate the bye week and 2nd scrimmage and move the 1st game up a week and carry on with post season.......Just my 2 cents. Happy Holidays.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT