ADVERTISEMENT

Changes to VHSL football

AdvocateOfMany434

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 13, 2015
757 Area
Read this today...

https://www.heraldcourier.com/sport...cle_1332f4f8-1c74-11ea-8096-9f6800a6b810.html

Here is a highlight from story:

While no change would be likely until at least 2021, the VHSL director said several possible moves to cut one week from the football season are under consideration:

>>> Eliminating one week of the preseason and one preseason scrimmage.

>>> Playing a nine-week regular season.

>>> Eliminating the bye week and compressing the regular season to 10 weeks.

>>> Cutting the playoffs back from five games to four games.

Reducing the number of regular-season games seems unlikely. Schools rely on revenue from home football games to operate their athletic departments.

Read this today...

https://www.heraldcourier.com/sport...cle_1332f4f8-1c74-11ea-8096-9f6800a6b810.html

While no change would be likely until at least 2021, the VHSL director said several possible moves to cut one week from the football season are under consideration:

Reducing the number of regular-season games seems unlikely. Schools rely on revenue from home football games to operate their athletic departments.
Going to a 9 game season and reducing the playoffs by one game are sound ideas as the other suggestions. Hope it all passes.

Read this today...

Based on the attendance I see these days I doubt the revenue covers very much any more.

Based on the attendance I see these days I doubt the revenue covers very much any more.
When I watch Friday Football Extra on Wset, Their are few fans in the stands. I live close to Rustburg High School and on Friday Game nights the stands look pretty empty.

Eliminate the bye week and maybe one playoff game. Eliminate the bye week for sure. I don't think divisions need to be reduced.

Reactions: wikki
Don't think anything needs to be changed except maybe the bye week and eliminate one preseason game and start the season a week earlier. I think NC just finished up this past weekend. I believe they have 6 divisions too and similar state population. Not sure, besides wanting to end the season earlier that anything is wrong with the system. Having 4 divisions the season still ends at the same time. Only a few teams play the last couple weeks anyway.

Don't think anything needs to be changed except maybe the bye week and eliminate one preseason game and start the season a week earlier. I think NC just finished up this past weekend. I believe they have 6 divisions too and similar state population. Not sure, besides wanting to end the season earlier that anything is wrong with the system. Having 4 divisions the season still ends at the same time. Only a few teams play the last couple weeks anyway.
Bye week shouldn't be eliminated IMHO.

I don't know which one I like best. I'm leaning towards saying eliminate a playoff game but that would likely reduce the number of teams that get in from 8 per region to only 4. I think 8 is too many but 4 is not enough. 6 would be the perfect number with the top seeds receiving a bye first round but then that would require 5 weeks of playoffs. I can't decide

After driving by Liberty U. this past Saturday, I don't see how the VHSL makes very much money off the Championship games. The big parking lot where the students park was empty around 2-30 when if there was a ton of fans at the games. This lot would have been full.

After driving by Liberty U. this past Saturday, I don't see how the VHSL makes very much money off the Championship games. The big parking lot where the students park was empty around 2-30 when if there was a ton of fans at the games. This lot would have been full.
Not sure the amount of cars in the student parking lot on the opposite end of campus is any indication of how may people attended the games. Those lots are reserved for students only so no one parks there. I attended both games at LU and can honestly say that there was a great crowd for both teams for the first game for Hopewell-Lord Botetourt. However, the Lake Taylor-Tuscarora game was sparse at best. Neither team had as many fans as I would have thought for a state championship.

Last edited:
Reactions: HokieSeason
Not sure the amount of cars in the student parking lot on the opposite end of campus is any indication of how may people attended the games. Those lots are reserved for students only so no one parks there. I attended both games at LU and can honestly say that there was a great crowd for the first game for Hopewell-Lord Botetourt. However, the Lake Taylor-Tuscarora game was sparse at best. Neither team had as many fans as I would have thought for a state championship.

Agree the first game had a good crowd. I didn't stay for the second one.

Reactions: VolNation85
Not sure the amount of cars in the student parking lot on the opposite end of campus is any indication of how may people attended the games. Those lots are reserved for students only so no one parks there. I attended both games at LU and can honestly say that there was a great crowd for both teams for the first game for Hopewell-Lord Botetourt. However, the Lake Taylor-Tuscarora game was sparse at best. Neither team had as many fans as I would have thought for a state championship.
The students are on Christmas break and when events happen during break, fans can usually park there.

NC has 4 classes for all sports except football where they split each class into an A and AA so they have 8 football champs.
rrth

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT