ADVERTISEMENT

Chantilly 14 - Westfield 7 (OT)

falcettik

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 3, 2004
Chantilly moved the ball very effectively and ate up lots of clock but stalled on all but their final drive that sent the game into OT. Westfield suffered two highly questionable calls that wiped two TDs off the board (see below). End result: a 14-7 Chantilly win.

Chantilly opened the game with a drive to the WF 21 yard line before attempting a 38 yard FG. A delay of game penalty pushed them back so they elected to go for it on 4th and 15. A double pass play almost got the necessary yardage but came up less than a yard short. WF punts on their possession. Chantilly then goes 60 yards to the WF 7 yard line, but a 25 yard Oh FG is blocked by WF's Duda. On the next WF series Houser finds Johnson behind the defense for a 57 yard TD catch, but the play is nullified by a puzzling offensive PI call (see below). WF ends up punting the ball back to Chantilly but with only 30 seconds left in the half the teams go to the locker room with a scoreless tie. Note that each team only had two real possessions-CH's drives ate a lot of clock.

WF received the second half KO and punted after only one first down. CH then punted, then another WF punt, then another CH punt. On this punt that went to the home side, WF's Anderson fields the ball and reverses to the visitor (left) side and goes 45 yards to the end zone. But wait-a holding call on the far side, behind the play, is called (see below). WF does go on to score on this drive when Houser makes a 35 yard pass to Baker to get to the CH 7 yard line, then Duda runs it in from 7 yards out for the first score of the game at 0:52 of the third quarter (Mattfeld XP). On the KO CH's Robertson gets a nice reverse field KOR to cross midfield at the WF 49 yard line, but after three plays net only five yards CH goes for it on 4th and 5. The run is stopped two yards short and WF takes over on their ow 41 yard line. WF goes three and out and the punt pins CH on their own 6 yard line with less than four minutes to go. CH used their methodical ground game to get near midfield, then switched to mix in more passing to keep the drive going until they score on a 17 yard pass, Ross to Robertson, with 25 seconds left in the game. After the Oh XP it is now 7-7.

In OT CH was on offense first and used three runs of 4, 4, and 2 yards to score when Madaj punched it in (Oh XP) and CH was up 14-7. WF elected to use the pass more often on their possession, with the first pass falling INC, followed by a 3 yard run, foilowed by a CH LB knocking down a pass in the middle on third down. Facing 4th and 7, Houser's pass was complete at the three yard line but a good open field tackle by CH's Robertson on the two yard line secured the win.

I rarely say this, but the I think the officials influenced this game. Westfield had two TDs called back by the same official on huge plays. I have been trying to review it on NFHS but it either isn't up yet, or the camera was out (inoperable NFHS cameras happen more than you would think). The first play was the 57 yard TD pass in the second quarter where the WF receiver got behind the CH defender down the middle. The defender, back to the ball, reaches for and hits the WF receiver as he catches the ball, the receiver stumbles a bit, then makes it the final 20 or so yards into the end zone. The head linesman/line judge on the right (home side) calls offensive pass interference? Of note, the exact same type of play occurred earlier in the game with the WF defender doing the same thing, reaching for a WR with his back to the ball, but that call (by the same official) is a DPI. Also of note, on the other side of the field there were several WF pass plays over the course of the game where the other line judge made no-calls on three CH DPIs when the defender hit the WR before the ball got there. Two different standards applied, IMO. The second TD called back was a 45 yard punt return down the left side in the third quarter, with the same official throwing the flag who made the call on the 57 yard TD pass-this time he calls a holding penalty from the right side, on a player on the right side of the field as the play goes down the left sideline, 10 yards behind the play. I really want to see the tape on those two plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1amishfootballfan
Chantilly moved the ball very effectively and ate up lots of clock but stalled on all but their final drive that sent the game into OT. Westfield suffered two highly questionable calls that wiped two TDs off the board (see below). End result: a 14-7 Chantilly win.

Chantilly opened the game with a drive to the WF 21 yard line before attempting a 38 yard FG. A delay of game penalty pushed them back so they elected to go for it on 4th and 15. A double pass play almost got the necessary yardage but came up less than a yard short. WF punts on their possession. Chantilly then goes 60 yards to the WF 7 yard line, but a 25 yard Oh FG is blocked by WF's Duda. On the next WF series Houser finds Johnson behind the defense for a 57 yard TD catch, but the play is nullified by a puzzling offensive PI call (see below). WF ends up punting the ball back to Chantilly but with only 30 seconds left in the half the teams go to the locker room with a scoreless tie. Note that each team only had two real possessions-CH's drives ate a lot of clock.

WF received the second half KO and punted after only one first down. CH then punted, then another WF punt, then another CH punt. On this punt that went to the home side, WF's Anderson fields the ball and reverses to the visitor (left) side and goes 45 yards to the end zone. But wait-a holding call on the far side, behind the play, is called (see below). WF does go on to score on this drive when Houser makes a 35 yard pass to Baker to get to the CH 7 yard line, then Duda runs it in from 7 yards out for the first score of the game at 0:52 of the third quarter (Mattfeld XP). On the KO CH's Robertson gets a nice reverse field KOR to cross midfield at the WF 49 yard line, but after three plays net only five yards CH goes for it on 4th and 5. The run is stopped two yards short and WF takes over on their ow 41 yard line. WF goes three and out and the punt pins CH on their own 6 yard line with less than four minutes to go. CH used their methodical ground game to get near midfield, then switched to mix in more passing to keep the drive going until they score on a 17 yard pass, Ross to Robertson, with 25 seconds left in the game. After the Oh XP it is now 7-7.

In OT CH was on offense first and used three runs of 4, 4, and 2 yards to score when Madaj punched it in (Oh XP) and CH was up 14-7. WF elected to use the pass more often on their possession, with the first pass falling INC, followed by a 3 yard run, foilowed by a CH LB knocking down a pass in the middle on third down. Facing 4th and 7, Houser's pass was complete at the three yard line but a good open field tackle by CH's Robertson on the two yard line secured the win.

I rarely say this, but the I think the officials influenced this game. Westfield had two TDs called back by the same official on huge plays. I have been trying to review it on NFHS but it either isn't up yet, or the camera was out (inoperable NFHS cameras happen more than you would think). The first play was the 57 yard TD pass in the second quarter where the WF receiver got behind the CH defender down the middle. The defender, back to the ball, reaches for and hits the WF receiver as he catches the ball, stumbles a bit, then makes it the final 20 or so yards into the end zone. The head linesman/line judge on the right (home side) calls offensive pass interference? Of note, the exact same type of play occurred earlier in the game with the WF defender doing the same thing, reaching for a WR with his back to the ball, but that call (by the same official) is a DPI. Also of note, on the other side of the field there were several WF pass plays over the course of the game where the other line judge made no-calls on three CH DPIs when the defender hit the WR before the ball got there. Two different standards applied, IMO. The second TD called back was a 45 yard punt return down the left side in the third quarter, with the same official throwing the flag who made the call on the 57 yard TD pass-this time he calls a holding penalty from the right side, on a player on the right side of the field as the play goes down the left sideline, 10 yards behind the play. I really want to see the tape on those two plays.
If you're able to see the video of those two plays, please post your impressions. I too would like to understand what happened. I wasn't there, and tried watching from NFHS, and surprised the game wasn't available. Thanks for your post, and all your effort to make the season more interesting. Living in WV makes it difficult to attend.

Reactions: falcettik
If you're able to see the video of those two plays, please post your impressions. I too would like to understand what happened. I wasn't there, and tried watching from NFHS, and surprised the game wasn't available. Thanks for your post, and all your effort to make the season more interesting. Living in WV makes it difficult to attend.
Perhaps I am wrong, but until I see tape my opinion stands. If you say you could not get to see it on NFHS, I probably won't either. NFHS can be frustrating. I was away last week and got up at 2 am to see the Madison game on NFHS, but that camera was out also. Disappointing. On another note about officiating (from the Madison game) I spoke with a parent of the player involved with the INT called off who described how it occurred - it was an INT. But that is water under the bridge. If Westfield can correct a few things, and that may be asking a bit much this year, they could get another game with at least two of Madison, Chantilly, and Centreville in the playoffs. A chance to rectify two losses (at least so far-Centreville awaits next week) from games that with a bit better execution and less "interference" could have been wins. The margin for error is slim this year.

Last edited:
Perhaps I am wrong, but until I see tape my opinion stands. If you say you could not get to see it on NFHS, I probably won't either. NFHS can be frustrating. I was away last week and got up at 2 am to see the Madison game on NFHS, but that camera was out also. Disappointing. On another note about officiating (from the Madison game) I spoke with a parent of the player involved with the INT called off who described how it occurred - it was an INT. But that is water under the bridge. If Westfield can correct a few things, and that may be asking a bit much this year, they could get another game with at least two of Madison, Chantilly, and Centreville in the playoffs. A chance to rectify two losses (at least so far-Centreville awaits next week) from games that with a bit better execution and less "interference" could have been wins. The margin for error is slim this year.
I also was told last night (from the Chantilly side) that "WF starting qb didn't play. A couple others hurt for them too. And 2 WF TDs taken off board from penalties." Not taking away from Chantilly, but in HS WF was at a significant handicap. But, that's football...

I also was told last night (from the Chantilly side) that "WF starting qb didn't play. A couple others hurt for them too. And 2 WF TDs taken off board from penalties." Not taking away from Chantilly, but in HS WF was at a significant handicap. But, that's football...
Yes, Jenks was out due to an injury. Not sure on who else was out, but Houser played very well and his longer passes were spot on, dropped right where they needed to be. He played well. The issue was Chantilly pushing us down the field almost at will. That was what won the game for them.

Reactions: Red Neck
falcetik.... Will give you that one at Madison... good soccer acting (our side was surprised the call stood). You can see that play video in the Madison Hudl highlights on MaxPreps beginning at 0:36 in.

Looks like those are loaded for the Westfield / Chantilly game now.

I will agree that consistency is what I look for in referees for a game... and there have been games this year with plays that have left me shaking my head. I don't expect them to be perfect, but with players switching sides to match players in coverage or the line it is hard if the rules are being interpreted hard or soft by different referees on either side of the field.

Reactions: falcettik
On the offensive pass interference it looked to me as if 87 (I believe) stuck his arm out to prevent the defender from playing the ball. Don’t think it was a push off exactly, but he did prevent the defender from playing the ball. This was different than the DPI which the defender ran into the Chantilly receiver (this was bang bang and would have been a good no call as well even though his back was turned).

On the punt return, the referee signaled block in the back and not holding. Did he change this and I missed it?

Yes, Jenks was out due to an injury. Not sure on who else was out, but Houser played very well and his longer passes were spot on, dropped right where they needed to be. He played well. The issue was Chantilly pushing us down the field almost at will. That was what won the game for them.
Is there a way to send you a private msg on here? If there is I don't see it...

On the offensive pass interference it looked to me as if 87 (I believe) stuck his arm out to prevent the defender from playing the ball. Don’t think it was a push off exactly, but he did prevent the defender from playing the ball. This was different than the DPI which the defender ran into the Chantilly receiver (this was bang bang and would have been a good no call as well even though his back was turned).

On the punt return, the referee signaled block in the back and not holding. Did he change this and I missed it?
Maybe I got the call wrong on the punt return penalty, as the ref was facing the press box, as he should, and I know I did not see his signal clearly because I was sitting at midfield in line with where he made his signal. If you have a better view I, of course, defer to what you saw.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT