VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 23, 2013
Black Knights have averaged 42 points
Black Knights have averaged giving up 30.4 points
Black Knights record of opponents 50-48

Salem has averaged 39.5 points
Salem has averaged giving up 18.5 points
Salem record of opponents 49-51

My feeling for this game is neither team has proved themselves against the toughest competition, They have beat some good teams, just not the elite in their classification. Salem has some injuries again this year. They do have some experience and talented kicker in Nate Craft, who will probably be kicking next year in division 1 somewhere. Another intriguing player is DeAngelo Ramsey who has size 6'1" 216 and speed. He is green at RB but is so talented that even against elite teams has great stats. Salem vs Dinwiddie came down to last play but Dinwiddie was without best player and was throttled by Blacksburg 49-12. I understand Charlottesville has speed and talent. Should be a great test for two teams trying to get over the hump. Maybe some Charlottesville fans can fill in some of their best players.

Black Knights have averaged 42 points
Black Knights have averaged giving up 30.4 points
Black Knights record of opponents 50-48

Salem has averaged 39.5 points
Salem has averaged giving up 18.5 points
Salem record of opponents 49-51

My feeling for this game is neither team has proved themselves against the toughest competition, They have beat some good teams, just not the elite in their classification. Salem has some injuries again this year. They do have some experience and talented kicker in Nate Craft, who will probably be kicking next year in division 1 somewhere. Another intriguing player is DeAngelo Ramsey who has size 6'1" 216 and speed. He is green at RB but is so talented that even against elite teams has great stats. Salem vs Dinwiddie came down to last play but Dinwiddie was without best player and was throttled by Blacksburg 49-12. I understand Charlottesville has speed and talent. Should be a great test for two teams trying to get over the hump. Maybe some Charlottesville fans can fill in some of their best players.

This will be the best team Salem has faced since Blacksburg. They look pretty dangerous to me. The Louisa game was so deflating for Charlottesville because of that first quarter, which seemed more like an anomaly than a true measure of how good either team was, especially when you factor in the turnovers. Don't get me wrong, I think Louisa is clearly the stronger team and a threat in 4B, but Charlottesville is better than they showed that night (at least from what I can read about and see on Hudl).

Salem has made some good adjustments defensively. I think 38 (Haupt?) and Ferris add some speed and both seem to wrap up well. Sutphin has also done a nice job. Persinger is learning quick and doing fine after being thrown into action with the loss of Owens. I'd love to see Zavion Wood get a little more playing time even though he's a freshman. He was a beast on JV. Is Pinello done for the year?

Reactions: blackknight_pride
I think Pinello was in uniform last week, but didn't play. I'm not sure of his status.

I think Pinello was in uniform last week, but didn't play. I'm not sure of his status.

Thanks for the update Mike. Are you watching Friday night from the Box up-top or are you going to be somewhere else? I'll try and stop by.

Thanks for the update Mike. Are you watching Friday night from the Box up-top or are you going to be somewhere else? I'll try and stop by.
I'll be up in the box, but I should be there early so we could meet before the game. Just let me know when you get there and we'll meet up.

We will find out if Salem is ready to make another run. If they struggle with C-ville the answer will be an emphatic no. If Salem handles them easily playing good defense, watch out

Pinello was not in uniform against Pulaski.
I thought I saw #19 warming up with Gladden before the game. I was just watching Tim's feed so I couldn't see real clear. Have you heard anything about him returning?

This will be the best team we've played all year other than maybe Louisa, and the best defense we've seen I'm willing to bet. We do well in shootouts, so if Salem wants to win, make some stops and take advantage of our D. If Cville makes some stops and scores like they can, then it will be a dogfight. Our QB, Sam Neale, #5, is a very talented runner and the offensive line is really good. I'd say Neale had an average of 5 or 6 seconds in the pocket which allowed him to throw for 216 yards and 5 TDs last week against Monticello. Sabias Folley, #3, is as good of a RB as you'll see in 4A, and he's harder to take down than Beck. There's also Rakeem Davis, #2, who's really hard to keep up with if he gets to the outside. Jake Poe, #6, caught 2 TDs last week and Tre Durrett, #1 is our leading receiver I believe.

Best of luck to both teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Very few. Teams go. To. Salem. And. Win. Crowd. Environment history......Salem is football!!!! As the radio guy. For22. Years and a grad from Andrew lewis the Joyce era. Remember the titans movie!!!! Losing ain't a option... There are Mora!e victories in Salem!!!

Very few. Teams go. To. Salem. And. Win. Crowd. Environment history......Salem is football!!!! As the radio guy. For22. Years and a grad from Andrew lewis the Joyce era. Remember the titans movie!!!! Losing ain't a option... There are Mora!e victories in Salem!!!
History has nothing to do with this game. Crowd is large but not hard to play in for a noise perspective. If Salem wins it will be because they are a better football team.

I was fortunate to be able to view video of Salem's last few games. I think they have fixed some of their defensive woes and should be able to get the W. This should be a very quick game as both teams like to control the ball with the running game.

There are some things Salem will have to do to be successful:

1. Run Ramsey left, run Ramsey right. Charlottesville has some big guys on the defensive line, but to me they look rather slow. Salem should be able to use their traps and sweeps very effectively.

2. Stay away from the deep ball and avoid the 50-50 ball.. Yes, Tucker can go get it, but the Charlottesville db's can cover. Using play action Gladden has to get the ball to his receivers on slants and mid range routes.

3. Take points when they have them. If the Spartans have fourth and seven inside the 25 kick the field goal. Force Charlottesville to answer.

4. Ramsey must play a lot of reps at mlb and put a hat on Folley early and often. This will force Charlottesville to use the qb read and pitch. Defending east and west is a Salem strength.

5. Play assignment defense as they did against Jefferson Forest a few years ago and shut the option down.

6. Force Charlottesville into long yardage situations, pin their ears back and rush the passer. Charlottesville has a fast and athletic quarterback, but he throws some very risky passes.

7. Most importantly Salem must not fumble the ball. Duct tape the ball to Ramsey' chest if you have to.

Keys for Charlottesville:

1. O lineman need to get to the second level and force Salem's linebackers to play through blockers.

2. Establish the run and don't abandon it. Even if the option pitch is stopped a few times keep going to the well.

3. Pass on first down to keep Salem's defense honest. Max protect and take a shot deep when the safeties pinch up to defend the run.

4. Charlottesville's defense must load the box up and push up the safeties to defend the sweep. Must gang tackle Ramsey. Play 1 v. 1 on their receivers. its a risk, but better than giving Ramsey and company room to run.

5. Don't take chances on their side of the field. Punt and play the field position game. Do not give Salem a short field.

6. Blitz on passing downs (3rd and 7 or more). Gladden is not very mobile.

Good luck to both teams. I think this will be a fun game to watch, but I truly believe Salem will wear them down and win by at least 14.

Last edited:
Amherst did last year, just saying.

I was fortunate to be able to view video of Salem's last few games. I think they have fixed some of their defensive woes and should be able to get the W. This should be a very quick game as both teams like to control the ball with the running game.

There are some things Salem will have to do to be successful:

1. Run Ramsey left, run Ramsey right. Charlottesville has some big guys on the defensive line, but to me they look rather slow. Salem should be able to use their traps and sweeps very effectively.

2. Stay away from the deep ball and avoid the 50-50 ball.. Yes, Tucker can go get it, but the Charlottesville db's can cover. Using play action Gladden has to get the ball to his receivers on slants and mid range routes.

3. Take points when they have them. If the Spartans have fourth and seven inside the 25 kick the field goal. Force Charlottesville to answer.

4. Ramsey must play a lot of reps at mlb and put a hat on Folley early and often. This will force Charlottesville to use the qb read and pitch. Defending east and west is a Salem strength.

5. Play assignment defense as they did against Jefferson Forest a few years ago and shut the option down.

6. Force Charlottesville into long yardage situations, pin their ears back and rush the passer. Charlottesville has a fast and athletic quarterback, but he throws some very risky passes.

7. Most importantly Salem must not fumble the ball. Duct tape the ball to Ramsey' chest if you have to.

Keys for Charlottesville:

1. O lineman need to get to the second level and force Salem's linebackers to play through blockers.

2. Establish the run and don't abandon it. Even if the option pitch is stopped a few times keep going to the well.

3. Pass on first down to keep Salem's defense honest. Max protect and take a shot deep when the safeties pinch up to defend the run.

4. Charlottesville's defense must load the box up and push up the safeties to defend the sweep. Must gang tackle Ramsey. Play 1 v. 1 on their receivers. its a risk, but better than giving Ramsey and company room to run.

5. Don't take chances on their side of the field. Punt and play the field position game. Do not give Salem a short field.

6. Blitz on passing downs (3rd and 7 or more). Gladden is not very mobile.

Good luck to both teams. I think this will be a fun game to watch, but I truly believe Salem will wear them down and win by at least 14.
Good post. Only thing I'm not sure about is point number 4 for Salem. I have never seen Ramsey lined up as a middle linebacker. He will probably play more defense than he has but I would be shocked if it wasn't in a stand up DE/OLB alignment.

I think Charlottesville will look to attack Persinger, the replacement for Owen, at cornerback. He has held up fairly well but it is hard to replace a guy that I feel was the best in the area at his position.

You may be correct, but if Coach Mags watches the film on Charlottesville putting Ramsey in the middle is the best answer to stopping the fb Folley. He is huge and Pinello if healthy is a bad match up. I know that would be my answer. If you still had Fox it would be just fine. If you dont stop Folley he will grind it out 5-6 yards at a time.

Charlottesville may work on both cb's when they pass, but if the db's stay on their toes they can defend the passing game Cville offers. Cant have lapses and let guys get behind them.

Unless you hit him in the backfield Folley's going to get 2-3 yards after first contact. You got to hit him at or behind the line or he'll get his. Has Ramsey played MLB very much before? I'm not sure I see the value in putting someone in the middle that hasn't been there all year. Maybe occasionally on a sure running down, but not an entire game.

Ramsey has played very little defense this year period, but if you want to stop Charlottesville option attack it is imperative to slow down the dive. I am not saying Salems d line can't do the job it was just make sense to have someone at mlb who can make Folley's day a bit harder. Ramsey can make it very hard.

The last couple of games Ramsey has played at DE on 3rd down in obvious passing situations. I doubt he'll play MLB, they have been doing a much better job defensively the last few games. I know a lot of that is due to the competition, but they look much better.

Reactions: RKE Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT