ADVERTISEMENT

Chatham vs Appomattox

Bo Bob

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 1, 2016
Chatham appears to have good size up front.
Will they be able to contain the Raiders?

I think if the Raiders play as they are capable and if we are at strength we should have a running clock by the third or early into it.
If they are unfocused then its closer. I think there is too much speed on the field for us. If the QB is hitting receivers like he was two weeks ago we go up big fast but if he is over throwing like last week.......

Chatham appears to have good size up front.
Will they be able to contain the Raiders?
Chatham has struggled moving the ball and stopping people as the competition level has increased. Their saving grace has been their ball control offense that has kept the possessions down in games. Chatham has also had some covid issues and missed players from practice. That really hurts when you only play about 15 kids. I'm taking the over on oldfool2's prediction of Appo by 40. Chatham has a tough stretch coming where they know they have to win their final 3 games in 8 days. Only winning 2 might put them out of the playoffs. Jack Turner might leave during a season but he's not the type of coach to check out during a game in hopes of saving guys for the next week.

Probably bob plus I think they will get all 10 games from what I seeing !
It is what it is. It made the wining all the sweeter last year leaving Big Stone Gap and Stuarts Draft with the wins.
Hopefully the Raiders can do that again. We ain't avoiding the injury bug like we've done in previous years though....

Reactions: Stabler1980
Congrats to the Raiders on another impressive performance. It seems like when Appo has a sluggish first half, they kind of have a certain coach that.........knows how to coach, and they come in the second half and look like a different team. Hats off to the Raiders, very impressive and so well coached. Might as well have 12 players on the field every play with a guy like Smith over their on the sidelines. There's just no question about it, that guy doesn't just make a difference, he changes games, changes outcomes.

Congrats to the Raiders on another impressive performance. It seems like when Appo has a sluggish first half, they kind of have a certain coach that.........knows how to coach, and they come in the second half and look like a different team. Hats off to the Raiders, very impressive and so well coached. Might as well have 12 players on the field every play with a guy like Smith over their on the sidelines. There's just no question about it, that guy doesn't just make a difference, he changes games, changes outcomes.
That’s awesome fairlawncat

I had the pleasure of attending much of the second half of this game with my best friend, Bleeding Navy. Appo is 2 levels above Chatham. No contest last night. Chatham never quit, but they were seriously overmatched.

We agreed that the atmosphere, and the home crowd, were top notch. The facility is well maintained. Plenty of parking, even with a near capacity crowd on the home side. Everyone we encountered was friendly.

We took advantage of the two for one hot dog sale as we were leaving, so I won’t criticize the hot dogs. But, they do not get five stars. However, I will give a big shout out to the lady at the concession stand. Very friendly, a nice smile, and made a joke or two to draw a laugh. I liked that.

We found the Appomattox experience to be just what we expected. A dedicated, enthusiastic crowd, and a football program that is top notch.

Thank you for having us and best wishes the rest of the way.

I had the pleasure of attending much of the second half of this game with my best friend, Bleeding Navy. Appo is 2 levels above Chatham. No contest last night. Chatham never quit, but they were seriously overmatched.

We agreed that the atmosphere, and the home crowd, were top notch. The facility is well maintained. Plenty of parking, even with a near capacity crowd on the home side. Everyone we encountered was friendly.

We took advantage of the two for one hot dog sale as we were leaving, so I won’t criticize the hot dogs. But, they do not get five stars. However, I will give a big shout out to the lady at the concession stand. Very friendly, a nice smile, and made a joke or two to draw a laugh. I liked that.

We found the Appomattox experience to be just what we expected. A dedicated, enthusiastic crowd, and a football program that is top notch.

Thank you for having us and best wishes the rest of the way.
Thankyou very much you are too kind and i always thought it was our famous hot dogs that makes people keep coming back for the games.

@oldfool2, on another thread you requested my opinion of Appomattox so here ya go.

I have driven thru Appomattox hundreds of times and I can tell you it has always been my go to stop (Dairy Queen) on the way to and from my parents home in Roanoke, but this past Friday I lucked up and found "heaven". If you like small hometown high school football then Appomattox is a place you need to visit. I left the field happy, but also jealous. Seeing the town virtually closed for a football game is awesome. The stands were jammed, the crowd was crazy loud, the artificial noisemakers (Cannon and Air Horn), the band and well coached team made me want to come back for more. The Appomattox community should be proud of what you have. It surely is a reflection of Kenny Chesney's "Boys of Fall". By the way, the Appo announcer is one of the best I have ever heard. Short, factual, clear voice and appropriately enthusiastic. You have a gem!

Now getting on to the game (second half only). We arrived just in time for the second half kickoff and to be honest I did not know what to expect. There is an obvious overall size difference between what I am used to seeing and the teams playing (Appo and Chatham), but the speed, execution and hard hitting was exactly the same. Chatham seemed to be very small, but well coached. Even though they clearly were overmatched they kept fighting to the whistle.

It's hard to evaluate Appomattox fully by one half of observation, but they have some very explosive players. I truly liked their offensive approach and it is certainly well balanced. I found their o line to be quick and agile. They held their blocks and kept the penalties to a minimum. The quarterback is accurate and seems to be poised in the pocket. I thought the receivers created separation and had good hands. Pennix and Darvin (hope I'm right with the names) make a good one-two punch in the backfield. They both run hard and cut well.

Defensively, you look sound. Your d-line got penetration when it could, but could not give you a fair synopsis, because Chatham cut blocked a lot. Man, I cringed every time they blocked down below the knees. There blocking scheme is not illegal, but it can wreck a knee in a minute. To be honest, Chatham' blocking scheme didn't fair well, because the Appo linebackers swarm to the ball so well. Have no clue about your defensive backs, because Chatham couldn't or wouldn't pass.

Your kicker is special. Nice kickoff's and extra points. Looks like he could hit a 40+ field goal. Your only glaring weakness is kickoff coverage. Chatham seemed to give you guys fits on a few kick returns.

Overall, Appomattox will once again go deep into the playoffs. Will they win it all? Who knows, but its going to take a well balanced team like Graham, "The Draft", King William or Glenvar to knock them out. TJ and Nottoway have some athletes, but I just don't think they have enough overall talent to hang with Appo.

Have a blessed day.

Last edited:
@oldfool2, on another thread you requested my opinion of Appomattox so here ya go.

I have driven thru Appomattox hundreds of times and I can tell you it has always been my go to stop (Dairy Queen) on the way to and from my parents home in Roanoke, but this past Friday I lucked up and found "heaven". If you like small hometown high school football then Appomattox is a place you need to visit. I left the field happy, but also jealous. Seeing the town virtually closed for a football game is awesome. The stands were jammed, the crowd was crazy loud, the artificial noisemakers (Cannon and Air Horn), the band and well coached team made me want to come back for more. The Appomattox community should be proud of what you have. It surely is a reflection of Kenny Chesney's "Boys of Fall". By the way, the Appo announcer is one of the best I have ever heard. Short, factual, clear voice and appropriately enthusiastic. You have a gem!

Now getting on to the game (second half only). We arrived just in time for the second half kickoff and to honest I did not know what to expect. There is an obvious overall size difference between what I am used to seeing and the teams (Appo and Chatham), but the speed, execution and hard hitting was exactly the same. Chatham seemed to be very small, but well coached. Even though they clearly overmatched they kept fighting to the whistle.

It's hard to evaluate Appomattox fully by one half of observation, but they have some very explosive players. I truly liked their offensive approach and it is certainly well balanced. I found their o line to be quick and agile. They held their blocks and kept the penalties to a minimum. The quarterback is accurate and seems to be poised in the pocket. I thought the receivers created separation and had good hands. Pennix and Darvin (hope I'm right with the names) make a good one-two punch in the backfield. The both run hard and cut well.
Defensively, you look sound. Your d-line got penetration when it could, but could give you a fair synopsis, because Chatham cut blocked a lot. Man, I cringed every time they blocked down below the knees. There blocking scheme is not illegal, but it can wreck a knee in a minute. To be honest, Chatham' blocking scheme didn't fair well, because the Appo linebackers swarm to the ball so well. have no clue about your defensive backs, because Chatham couldn't or wouldn't pass.

Your kicker is special. Nice kickoff's and extra points. Looks like he could hit a 40+ field goal. Your only glaring weakness is kickoff coverage. Chatham seemed to give you guys fits on a few kick returns.

Overall, Appomattox will once again go deep into the playoffs. Will they win it all? Who knows, but its going to take a well balanced team like Graham, "The Draft", King William or Glenvar to knock them out. TJ and Nottoway have some athletes, but I just don't think they have enough overall talent to hang with Appo.

Have a blessed day.
You nailed it.

Yes our KO coverage has been a problem all year.

Sadly one of the coaches (not the head coach) was calling for those types of blocks by his offensive lineman. He tried to argue his point in the first half after one call but was even told by another assistant that they weren't legal.

Chatham in the first half gave the Raiders exactly what they need. They gave them a "we are hear to play football and we aren't afraid of the 5X champions". I thought the Raiders responded well in the second half and come out and showed more of what they are capable of.

Sadly though, our crowds aren't what they once were. Back in 2016 and 2017 you better be at least 30 minutes early or you would have trouble finding a seat and it jut isn't like that now. Shoot we used to have more folks their for the team prayer circle an hour before KO that we do now 30 min prior to KO.
Generally around playoff time we start generating more crowd interest.

Reactions: BleedingNavy

Now getting on to the game (second half only). We arrived just in time for the second half kickoff and to be honest I did not know what to expect. There is an obvious overall size difference between what I am used to seeing and the teams playing (Appo and Chatham), but the speed, execution and hard hitting was exactly the same. Chatham seemed to be very small, but well coached. Even though they clearly were overmatched they kept fighting to the whistle.

It's hard to evaluate Appomattox fully by one half of observation, but they have some very explosive players. I truly liked their offensive approach and it is certainly well balanced. I found their o line to be quick and agile. They held their blocks and kept the penalties to a minimum. The quarterback is accurate and seems to be poised in the pocket. I thought the receivers created separation and had good hands. Pennix and Darvin (hope I'm right with the names) make a good one-two punch in the backfield. They both run hard and cut well.

Defensively, you look sound. Your d-line got penetration when it could, but could not give you a fair synopsis, because Chatham cut blocked a lot. Man, I cringed every time they blocked down below the knees. There blocking scheme is not illegal, but it can wreck a knee in a minute. To be honest, Chatham' blocking scheme didn't fair well, because the Appo linebackers swarm to the ball so well. Have no clue about your defensive backs, because Chatham couldn't or wouldn't pass.

Have a blessed day.
Thanks you affirmed my thoughts. Glad you enjoyed Appo. Kickoff coverage is a very sore spot right now for sure.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT