ADVERTISEMENT

Christchurch School Football Head Coach Opening (8-Man)

Aug 6, 2021
HEAD EIGHT-MAN FOOTBALL COACH

Christchurch School is a co-ed Episcopal boarding and day school serving grades 9—12.
Founded in 1921, Christchurch is located on a 125-acre waterfront campus on the
Rappahannock River in Virginia. The school’s Mission is to inspire and guide each
student's unique journey to self-confidence, purpose, and identity within a caring,
structured community, where they discover their infinite value and develop the skills to
become compassionate, successful, and engaged global citizens.
Position Overview: Christchurch School seeks to hire a dynamic Head Football Coach to
pioneer its first year competing in the Eight-man Virginia Independent Football League
(VISFL) for the 2023-24 academic year. The ideal candidate should be able to set the
tone for the school’s eight-man football program that accurately reflects the school’s
Mission. This position’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
 Act as Head Coach of the football team
 Scout under the rules of VISFL
 Practice, planning, and game preparation
 Oversee organization and use of equipment
 Oversee uniform distribution and collection
 Transport the team to away games
Requirements and Qualifications:
 Prior high school football coaching experience is required
 Some knowledge of eight-man football and its benefits is preferred
 Bachelor's degree
 Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Additional Opportunities: In addition to coaching, applicants may also apply to be
involved in other aspects of the School. Examples include teaching, administration,
residential life etc.
Physical demands
 Ability to handle all physical demands of being the Head Football Coach
 Ability to be mobile around campus and buildings
Work environment
 Fast-paced, small boarding and day school
 Travel is required
Equal Employment Opportunity. The School is an equal opportunity employer.
The School provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and job applicants
without regard to an individual’s race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, status as a veteran, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related
medical conditions including lactation, age, disability, genetic information or any other
factor prohibited by applicable law. All aspects of personnel management – including
hiring, promotion, demotion, transfer, recruitment, layoff, discipline, termination,
compensation, benefits, training and working conditions – will be administered in
accordance with this policy. Each employee is expected to do their part to maintain a
working environment free of discrimination, harassment and retaliation.

Conditional Offers: An offer of employment for this position is contingent upon the
applicant’s right to work in the United States, authorization for and completion of
successful background checks as may be requested by the school or required by law.

Benefits: Christchurch School offers a highly competitive compensation package for this
position. Benefits such as health insurance, retirement, professional development, and
housing may also be included at the discretion of the school.

Interested applicants should contact John Dehm, Director of Athletics and Co-Curricular Programs, jdehm@christchurchschool.org

Didn't they make the state finals or semifinals in their classification about 4 years ago? Man, having to drop to 8-man must be something more and more schools will be facing

Didn't they make the state finals or semifinals in their classification about 4 years ago? Man, having to drop to 8-man must be something more and more schools will be facing
I guess if the alternative is NO football, 8 man is better than that.

I’ve know of Christchurch for as long as I can remember, but never knew anything about it. I took the time to research it when they posted this job opening.

My conclusion is that if you can afford it, and this is the choice that you think is best for your child, it is a pretty impressive place.

Out of curiosity, I did a little math and came up with an annual payroll of between $6.5 and $9 million annually. That is impressive in itself. I would venture to guess the whole school operates on an annual budget of around $15 million.

I also guess that 8 man ball is similar to 7 on 7 with full contact?
DP, I don't know much but I would say it is more like comparing Rugby 7's to a standard rugby team of 15 in terms of how the games play out with respect to the increased amount of spacing on the field. 8 man football has the same basic formation as regular football just with fewer players. Five linemen and the two on each end are eligible as pass receivers. Defensively they still have all three levels. With more space, the scores can get ridiculous.

Reactions: Senex
DP, I don't know much but I would say it is more like comparing Rugby 7's to a standard rugby team of 15 in terms of how the games play out with respect to the increased amount of spacing on the field. 8 man football has the same basic formation as regular football just with fewer players. Five linemen and the two on each end are eligible as pass receivers. Defensively they still have all three levels. With more space, the scores can get ridiculous.
Thank you. Yes, I’ve see a few scores that I though we misprints until I checked it out. I think I saw one this year that was 115-84. LOL Just a good old fashion defensive struggle huh?

Kenston Forest in Blackstone plays 8 man. That’s less than 30 minutes from my house so I’ll try to catch a game this year to see what it looks like.
Thanks again.

Seems like I read somewhere that Quarterbacks can't run the ball. Is that the rule?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Seems like I read somewhere that Quarterbacks can't run the ball. Is that the rule?
Again, I don't know much about the sport but the QB can run the ball I beleive. The difference between 8 and 11 man teams is very little outside of the reduced numbers on the field and, in some cases, a smaller field.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Again, I don't know much about the sport but the QB can run the ball I beleive. The difference between 8 and 11 man teams is very little outside of the reduced numbers on the field and, in some cases, a smaller field.
I checked with a guy I know that recruits for a small college up north. QB can run the ball in 8 man. There are schools, mostly in the mid-west that play 6 man football. The QB can not run the football in 6 man football. I knew I had seen something to that effect somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT