ADVERTISEMENT

Churchland 22 over Grafton 0

757FridayNiteZ

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 9, 2015
Churchland is playing some tough football. Let's keep an eye on them as they play the top teams in the Eastern District! With 2 shutouts already against teams that beat them handily last year, they're getting noticed by Norcom & Lake Taylor you can bet!

Other area teams may have missed out on their 2017 new Coach, Dontrell Leonard. Below is his stellar resume:

Ocean Lakes HS-Virginia Beach, VA

QB/WR Coach/Offensive Coordinator/Special Teams Coordinator 2014-2016 (17-6 Overall Record)

Salem HS-Virginia Beach, VA

QB’s Coach/Offensive Coordinator 2006-2014
Beach District Champions back to back seasons 2006-2007, 2007-2008
Two eastern region wins, three appearances
Two Virginia state semi-final appearances 2012-2013, 2013-2014
90-30 overall record since 2006 as Salem/Ocean Lakes offensive coordinator/QB’s Coach

2015 Offensive Coordinator for the Under Armour East All-Star Game (Won 35-7)

From the VaPilot:
Churchland 22 Grafton 0

The Truckers forced three turnovers and collected a second consecutive shutout in a game that was suspended Thursday night and finished Friday afternoon.

Churchland was outscored 68-23 in losses to Kecoughtan and Grafton last season. But the Truckers have outscored those teams 48-0 this year under second-year coach Dontrell Leonard.

Elijah Wilshire kicked a 23-yard field goal and Jarel Ware added a 5-yard touchdown run in the first half Thursday. Ware ran for a 3-yard score and Da’quan Felton caught a 16-yard pass from Kisheed Watson in Friday’s second half.

Grafton (0-1) managed just 99 total yards – all on the ground – while Churchland churned out 168 rushing yards on 32 attempts.

He said it: “We’re coming together as a team. We still have a long way to go, but I like the direction our program and our football team are going.”

Key stats: C-Watson 7-18-0, 64 yards, TD passing.

Reactions: DEVILSLB99
Not to throw water on the Grafton win but most of Grafton’s best players graduated from last year and excluding Bruton will most likely be last in the Bay Rivers this year.

I see maybe 2. They don’t play Bruton. Maybe Jamestown. Maybe Tabb.

The reason for the post is that this team is making a turn around & they have good coach. With a 1-9 season in 2017 to starting 2018 with 2 shut outs, that's pretty good. They lost but played both Norview (big down year) & Maury (could actually challenge Lake Taylor in 2018!!!) last year.

So, I'll go out on a limb & say the the Truckers will be no worse than 3-7 but looking at their schedule, I think they have a chance against:

Armstrong
BT Washington
Norview
Granby

Beating Wilson & 1/2 of the Above teams will put them at 5-5. So, their improving. If for some reason, they do better, then I'd say the Truckers are news worthy. We'll see.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Grafton was a 1 win team last year and Kecoughtan was a 2 win team a year ago, but we’re coming off back to back 1 win seasons ourselves. The kids have worked hard all offseason, and they are believing in themselves. No we aren’t world beaters just yet, but we have some talent and won’t lay down.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Grafton was a 1 win team last year and Kecoughtan was a 2 win team a year ago, but we’re coming off back to back 1 win seasons ourselves. The kids have worked hard all offseason, and they are believing in themselves. No we aren’t world beaters just yet, but we have some talent and won’t lay down.
I visited the football field at Norcom this past week for our game for the first time. Do all three Portsmouth teams share the field or have their own? The stands were large and excellent as was the concessions. But the grass field looked like it was week 10 from the lack of grass in the middle for most of the 100 yards. I know Portsmouth has 3 HS like James City County here.

I visited the football field at Norcom this past week for our game for the first time. Do all three Portsmouth teams share the field or have their own? The stands were large and excellent as was the concessions. But the grass field looked like it was week 10 from the lack of grass in the middle for most of the 100 yards. I know Portsmouth has 3 HS like James City County here.

We all have our own stadiums. The dirt on the middle of the field is something I'm having to deal with and is a byproduct of some bad timing. The crowns on our fields were redone and laser graded the problem is once the budget turned over for the fiscal year and everything was said and done the project didn't happen until the end of July. The hope was by keeping it watered and cur the Bermuda would come thru by now which it hasn't.

I'm extremely upset about the way my field looks as I could have waited to have it done, but it is what it is.

Well said... These guys are starting to become competitive! Funny what a little winning and believing can do for young men. Who knows maybe they can be in the playoff discussion. Let's see.

ADVERTISEMENT