ADVERTISEMENT

Churchland's JV basketball coach dressed out for game

This is insane , almost hard to believe .
Not at all. Shows you what kind of people get into coaching. More times than none, it’s all about them and not the kids. It’s disgusting that this coach cared more about their own ego than the kids. These kind of coaches are very prevalent.

Edit: it is very insane, but not hard to believe*

Last edited:
Not at all. Shows you what kind of people get into coaching. More times than none, it’s all about them and not the kids. It’s disgusting that this coach cared more about their own ego than the kids. These kind of coaches are very prevalent.
Absolutely spot on and you would know. You can still make a difference though. I feel bad for @DEVILSLB99. He does a wonderful job as the AD at Churchland and I am sure he is catching some serious heat. In today's "blame it on the innocent" society he could easily become a scapegoat.

I would love to hear her explain her reasoning for doing what she did. How she justified her actions. My guess is that she crossed one line by going to far to show the kids “how you play”. And yet another line was crossed when her ego became larger than her judgement could control. Or was she just so stupid that she thought it would be ok?

What little video that I saw of the game didn’t show if there was another adult on the bench. If not, someone had to say, “hey, where is your coach?”
If there was another adult on the bench, and they didn’t speak up, they are just as guilty.

Don’t the opposing coaches have to meet with the referee at the scorer’s table before the game begins? Was she in a uniform then?

The opposing coach did not see her on the court playing and say something?

I’m afraid that there is a little more accountability called for. The opposing coach, the referees, or the “Nansmond HS Administrator“ on duty were all totally oblivious to what was going on until after the game concluded? Really?

I would love to hear her explain her reasoning for doing what she did. How she justified her actions. My guess is that she crossed one line by going to far to show the kids “how you play”. And yet another line was crossed when her ego became larger than her judgement could control. Or was she just so stupid that she thought it would be ok?

What little video that I saw of the game didn’t show if there was another adult on the bench. If not, someone had to say, “hey, where is your coach?”
If there was another adult on the bench, and they didn’t speak up, they are just as guilty.

Don’t the opposing coaches have to meet with the referee at the scorer’s table before the game begins? Was she in a uniform then?

The opposing coach did not see her on the court playing and say something?

I’m afraid that there is a little more accountability called for. The opposing coach, the referees, or the “Nansmond HS Administrator“ on duty were all totally oblivious to what was going on until after the game concluded? Really?
All things I have wondered as well.

Bleeding Navy and I have been discussing trying to sneak in the locker room and suit up and slip into a game next season. If they catch us, then the next week we will just show up dressed like cheerleaders and see if we can pull that off.

• Haha
Reactions: oldfool2 and gwb16
Social media has been harsh. Some people have been calling for the AD and Principals jobs as well. Devils is a stand up, honest, hard working individual. The fear I have, because he's the "leader" of the athletic department, he may very well be unfairly caught up in the undertow.
They've fired the Interim Varsity coach, the Head JV coach and the assistant coach that suited up.
The other issue... The student athletes knew that she was stepping onto the court, their parents knew and yet EVERYONE allowed it to occur.
I have heard it was a parent that reported it after the fact.
Just a ridiculous story. Uncalled for and a genuinely poor look for Churchland High and Portsmouth.

Social media has been harsh. Some people have been calling for the AD and Principals jobs as well. Devils is a stand up, honest, hard working individual. The fear I have, because he's the "leader" of the athletic department, he may very well be unfairly caught up in the undertow.
They've fired the Interim Varsity coach, the Head JV coach and the assistant coach that suited up.
The other issue... The student athetes knew that she was stepping onto the court, their parents knew and yet EVERYONE allowed it to occur.
I have heard it was a parent that reported it after the fact.
Just a ridiculous story. Uncalled for and a genuinely poor look for Churchland High and Portsmouth.
The AD and Principal could not have predicted or expected this to happen in a million years! It's not like they have a line in their preseason meeting entitled "oh yeah, you can't play in the games or impersonate players" There are some things that are just unfathomable.

Finding good coaches is such an incredibly difficult thing to do. Prayers up to the admin at Churchland for the crap storm they have had to endure.

The AD and Principal could not have predicted or expected this to happen in a million years! It's not like they have a line in their preseason meeting entitled "oh yeah, you can't play in the games or impersonate players" There are some things that are just unfathomable.

Finding good coaches is such an incredibly difficult thing to do. Prayers up to the admin at Churchland for the crap storm they have had to endure.
I can’t disagree with a thing you said. What I find unbelievable is that someone at the game wasn’t aware? From either school?

Yeah, bad PR and the Admin will suffer, but all this will pass.

I can’t believe the parents of the other players didn’t say something! Mind boggling to me that not one parent spoke up immediately.

Kids can be foolish and sometimes kids don’t have the self confidence to speak up. But I’m always amazed when adults don’t act like adults.

I'm thinking they had no knowledge of this since it was an away game

I agree 100%.... I just hope that Devils doesn't get roasted for this.... He's much too dedicated and has worked so hard trying to help Churchland High become a significant force in their district.
We talk about how underpaid coaches are... Let's talk about how underpaid and underappreciated ADs are!!!
When Miles Blount was the AD at Smithfield, he NEVER had a break. That job is 365 days a year, 24 hours. And it's thankless. No one ever takes the time to thank the AD... always complaining about the coaches or the schedule or the facilities or uniforms.... That's a can't win, do it for the kids job... ALWAYS!

Freaking BS! Fire the principal, assistant principals and superintendent while there at it they are just as culpable. Who could have predicted something so stupid like this would occur. Today's society will not own a dang thing. Just pawn it off on someone else.

Freaking BS! Fire the principal, assistant principals and superintendent while there at it they are just as culpable. Who could have predicted something so stupid like this would occur. Today's society will not own a dang thing. Just pawn it off on someone else.
But Navy , and in no way am I making assumptions. However, does anyone know the details on this VA Preps site of who knew this was going on? Or, how it came to be . Was there an Administrator at any of these games ? Who does that fall on? Seems kind of early to make opinions without the details of how this came about and who knew what was going on before it came to light. I agree that the buck always seems to go up the ladder , but does anybody know how this happened ?

I know a little and yes it may be a biased opinion, but my source indicated the AD was not the assigned administrator at the game. In fact, in today's world administrators do not always travel with the team when they are away. I know for a fact, schools in our area do not send administrators to all away varsity contest. Only the home team is required to have a game administrator present. You are correct I do not know the minute details and truthfully I am just disturbed that not one single parent present stepped up during the game and reported the matter. Nope they want to whine after the fact. In the court of law everybody who witnessed the wrong and failed to report it (including the players) would be considered an accessory. I guess my real issue is I know how hard @DEVILSLB99 has worked to make Churchland relevant and feel comfortable he would never be a part of something so irresponsible. Good points @Scalvinscaliwag.

I hate it for @DEVILSB99 as he always seemed to be a dedicated guy doing it the right way and trying to help the kids and his community. My use of the word seem is in no way meant to imply I believe him to be complicit in these events but, a statement that I do not know enough facts surrounding the events to make a definitive statement either way. I do believe the schools' leadership owe the public a full accounting of the events and aftermath that will explain their process and decisions.

I know a little and yes it may be a biased opinion, but my source indicated the AD was not the assigned administrator at the game. In fact, in today's world administrators do not always travel with the team when they are away. I know for a fact, schools in our area do not send administrators to all away varsity contest. Only the home team is required to have a game administrator present. You are correct I do not know the minute details and truthfully I am just disturbed that not one single parent present stepped up during the game and reported the matter. Nope they want to whine after the fact. In the court of law everybody who witnessed the wrong and failed to report it (including the players) would be considered an accessory. I guess my real issue is I know how hard @DEVILSLB99 has worked to make Churchland relevant and feel comfortable he would never be a part of something so irresponsible. Good points @Scalvinscaliwag.
I agree with you and know for a fact that not always Is there an administrator at away games . Too much going on these days , and trust is given to Coaches to act in and of appropriate manner. I sincerely hope Devils is not been the token Leader that has to take the direct hit from such crazy terrible decisions made by the coaching staff.

I’m going to take a different stance. It might be the best thing that could have happened to Coach Whittington. I think Devils should take the opportunity to go somewhere with a much more honest and professional school administration. A place that employs people that don’t try to protect there own hides by selling out a subordinate.

It’s a fact that Coach Whittington was, and had been sick and out of work when this even occurred. So why was it Mike’s fault? It sure looks like they needed a fall guy and Devils was it? Unless he become aware of what took place and did not take the proper action in a timely manner, then he is not culpable.

It’s pretty evident that the community is aware of all that Mike has been able to accomplish in a relatively short amount of time. In fact, he has done much of the hard work in resurrecting pride and interest in the Truckers athletic programs. He is on the threshold of seeing the kids enjoy the results of his hard work and perseverance. As evidence, we see a near immediate petition drive to reverse the decision to basically force him out the door.

As a result of this knee jerk reaction, the community and the kids will lose everything that has been accomplished. All because of politics.

You don’t deserve to be treated like that Coach. Move on to a better place.

I’m going to take a different stance. It might be the best thing that could have happened to Coach Whittington. I think Devils should take the opportunity to go somewhere with a much more honest and professional school administration. A place that employs people that don’t try to protect there own hides by selling out a subordinate.

It’s a fact that Coach Whittington was, and had been sick and out of work when this even occurred. So why was it Mike’s fault? It sure looks like they needed a fall guy and Devils was it? Unless he become aware of what took place and did not take the proper action in a timely manner, then he is not culpable.

It’s pretty evident that the community is aware of all that Mike has been able to accomplish in a relatively short amount of time. In fact, he has done much of the hard work in resurrecting pride and interest in the Truckers athletic programs. He is on the threshold of seeing the kids enjoy the results of his hard work and perseverance. As evidence, we see a near immediate petition drive to reverse the decision to basically force him out the door.

As a result of this knee jerk reaction, the community and the kids will lose everything that has been accomplished. All because of politics.

You don’t deserve to be treated like that Coach. Move on to a better place.

Well said!

According to some info I just read. Devil's was out sick at the time

The "Boss" always gets blamed for subordinates behavior. I've witnessed that my entire working career. Extenuating circumstances be damned. I hate that this has happened to Devils. I'm not advocating for Smithfield's AD to be removed, but I wished we had someone that had his energy and dedication and moxie.

I'm with DP, move on. Someone is going to pick up a gem. Mike is going to land on his feet. He'll also have an entirely new set of questions to ask during his interview process and expectations to layout for anyone on his staff(s).

That thankless AD job just proved to be treacherous also because of a nut job, young, assistant coach that wasn't mature enough to handle her responsibilities as a mentor and teach those children right vs wrong.

I'm going to sign the change.org petition now on Devils behalf...as soon as I can locate it... because.....

I have a question, it’s just a question…. So nobody get excited . Who is the primary Yes or No when it comes to hiring and recommending to senior administration ( Principal, Assistant ) or is it the AD? Or , is it all of the above? With regards to hiring head and assistant coaches for high school teams .

In Dinwiddie the AD, Principal, and head coach or another designee interview and make a selection. The principal must then present and justify his choice to the school board. The school board has the final decision. That's why I said in earlier post that the principal, superintendent and school board members are just as culpable as the AD.

In Dinwiddie the AD, Principal, and head coach or another designee interview and make a selection. The principal must then present and justify his choice to the school board. The school board has the final decision. That's why I said in earlier post that the principal, superintendent and school board members are just as culpable as the AD.
Thank you BN

And it’s a pretty good system. By the time a candidate gets to the approval process by the school board, they have been vetted pretty good. Occasionally someone gets through that turns out to not be the right fit, but usually the cream rises to the top.

You said it best BN, there is usually a lot of “informal” justifying why someone is being selected. That ferrets out a lot of potential drawbacks in a candidate.

And it’s a pretty good system. By the time a candidate gets to the approval process by the school board, they have been vetted pretty good. Occasionally someone gets through that turns out to not be the right fit, but usually the cream rises to the top.

You said it best BN, there is usually a lot of “informal” justifying why someone is being selected. That ferrets out a lot of potential drawbacks in a candidate.
I just wanted to see if it was the same down there as it is up here.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT