4) Galax
5) Northumberland
6) Colonial Beach
7) William Campbell
8) Washington and Lee
9) Narrows
10) Rappahannock-Warsaw

HM- West Point, Franklin, Patrick Henry, Sussex, Covington

After the preseason talk about Glenvar, the way it sounds like Galax played, they may should be 3.

Virginia Class 1A State Top Ten Football Poll by uvacavs1

August 25, 2018

1) Essex
2) Riverheads
3) Chilhowie
4) Galax
5) Northumberland
6) Colonial Beach
7) William Campbell
8) Washington and Lee
9) Narrows
10) Rappahannock-Warsaw

Come on baby. Radford ain't no joke. We blew it baby. GW ain't bad as you think.
We see how it shakes out baby

Reactions: uvacavs1
My top ten teams I feel at this point in the season is correct. We could easily debate the order of the teams (especially teams #3 thru #8).

Most of us agree that the top two are Riverheads and Essex, maybe not the order lol.

This poll was made with as much tact and fairness as I could muster :).

To me in the Far East, we have 5 teams from the West and 5 teams from the East.

I am open to debate and any other teams that are deserving. Unlike in today's politicians, I will change my mind if presented with good evidence and thought.

Again, its just my opinion and if you disagree, it's all good.

Come on baby. Radford ain't no joke. We blew it baby. GW ain't bad as you think.
We see how it shakes out baby

I had GW in my preseason top ten poll.

Yep, early in the season. Good luck to GW! It's fun when they are good!

My top ten teams I feel at this point in the season is correct. We could easily debate the order of the teams (especially teams #3 thru #8).

Most of us agree that the top two are Riverheads and Essex, maybe not the order lol.

I am open to debate and any other teams that are deserving. Unlike in today's politicians, I will change my mind if presented with good evidence and thought.

I dont have an issue with your poll. I certainly have no issue with top. It COULD be switched between 3 and 4, but I haven't seen either, so really have no clue. Just going off the results from yesterday and seemed Galax loss was more impressive???

Reactions: Daddy_rabbit
Oh sorry Gunz41 that was just a general description of the poll to anyone reading it - I was writing it and posted before I saw your post ha.

Yes, I agree that the Galax loss (sounds like they should have won or could have anyway!) was impressive so I left them in the top 4 even though they are 0-1.

Since Chilhowie won the last match up and have most returning, I gave them the nod out of respect.

As for Northumberland, CB, and W&L - at this point, you could really rank them in any order - also, I feel that all three would match up well with Chilhowie, Galax, and WC. I would love to see them compete in the playoffs if that was possible.

Reactions: Daddy_rabbit
Here comes you hating on others opinions again. Because I don't see where he is over hyping Northumberland. He has had them as the second best nnd team all preseason. But hey I'd love to hear your opinion on northumberland what's so OVER HYPED about them.

Last edited:
Here comes you hating on others opinions again. Because I don't see where he is over hyping Northumberland. He has had them as the second best nnd team all preseason. But hey I'd love to hear your opinion on northumberland what's so OVER HYPED about them.
I simply dont believe they are a "great team" they have Delvin Palmer but outside of his playmaking ability I am not impressed. They were an ok team last year and from what I saw today I didnt see any younger kids fill the shoes of last years seniors. Surry is a rebuilding team and they gifted Northumberland several times with unforced fumbles. If they couldve held onto the ball the score could have easily been 23-14. They are a one dimensional team who was dismantled twice last year by Essex, once by Colonial Beach and still somehow ranked closely to both. I truly believe several teams ranked below Nland by uvacavs will/could beat them; William Campbell, Colonial Beach, Rappahannock, Franklin and Sussex. They have one of the easiest schedules of the NNK teams resulting in an record that doesnt depict their true value. Northampton, Mathews, Middlesex, Surry are all rebuilding programs and to my knowledge none had winning records last season or won a playoff game. That is just my opinion from what I have seen from them, lets just wait and see what they can do when district play comes October 5th ;)

I simply dont believe they are a "great team" they have Delvin Palmer but outside of his playmaking ability I am not impressed. They were an ok team last year and from what I saw today I didnt see any younger kids fill the shoes of last years seniors. Surry is a rebuilding team and they gifted Northumberland several times with unforced fumbles. If they couldve held onto the ball the score could have easily been 23-14. They are a one dimensional team who was dismantled twice last year by Essex, once by Colonial Beach and still somehow ranked closely to both. I truly believe several teams ranked below Nland by uvacavs will/could beat them; William Campbell, Colonial Beach, Rappahannock, Franklin and Sussex. They have one of the easiest schedules of the NNK teams resulting in an record that doesnt depict their true value. Northampton, Mathews, Middlesex, Surry are all rebuilding programs and to my knowledge none had winning records last season or won a playoff game. That is just my opinion from what I have seen from them, lets just wait and see what they can do when district play comes October 5th ;)

I respect your opinion and certainly understand where you are coming from. Essex supporters are so used to dominating and destroying the Northern Neck teams and mostly everyone else for decades that it is a challenge to see that other programs can try to improve.

All Northumberland fans and those of the Neck know how powerful Essex is when their coaching situation is rolling smoothly. Not one Indian fan has said that they expect to beat Essex, but only hope the game can be competitive. Essex and Riverheads are in a class all by themselves in 1A...

I think NHS will end up 2nd in the NND. NHS has beaten Rappahannock by a combined score of 87-15 the last two years (yes, Rapp is much improved this season), defeated W&L last season, and lost to CB away in the 2nd half.

I may be wrong and will congratulate whoever wins and comes in 2nd etc.

In my opinion, NHS has the best chance they have had in 20 years to be a really strong team with Coach Lewis and his staff trying hard to fix many of the issues that have plagued NHS over the years. Plus, you might not think so, but I see a lot of talent and potential in Northumberland.

However, since you don't see any threat or talent from NHS, I suggest you just start preparing for Riverheads and not give the Neck another thought.

Reactions: Jdavis54
I respect your opinion and certainly understand where you are coming from. Essex supporters are so used to dominating and destroying the Northern Neck teams and mostly everyone else for decades that it is a challenge to see that other programs can try to improve.

All Northumberland fans and those of the Neck know how powerful Essex is when their coaching situation is rolling smoothly. Not one Indian fan has said that they expect to beat Essex, but only hope the game can be competitive. Essex and Riverheads are in a class all by themselves in 1A...

I think NHS will end up 2nd in the NND. NHS has beaten Rappahannock by a combined score of 87-15 the last two years (yes, Rapp is much improved this season), defeated W&L last season, and lost to CB away in the 2nd half.

I may be wrong and will congratulate whoever wins and comes in 2nd etc.

In my opinion, NHS has the best chance they have had in 20 years to be a really strong team with Coach Lewis and his staff trying hard to fix many of the issues that have plagued NHS over the years. Plus, you might not think so, but I see a lot of talent and potential in Northumberland.

However, since you don't see any threat or talent from NHS, I suggest you just start preparing for Riverheads and not give the Neck another thought.

Never said the NNK should be overlooked. The NNK is probably the toughest district in 1A this season. My main point is that I don't believe you can rank Northumberland ahead of more proven teams (William Campbell, Sussex & Colonial Beach) after only one game against Surry in which Northumberland didn't even look that impressive. Northumbeland is good just not #5 good. More like 7-8 if we are all gonna be honest here.

Never said the NNK should be overlooked. The NNK is probably the toughest district in 1A this season. My main point is that I don't believe you can rank Northumberland ahead of more proven teams (William Campbell, Sussex & Colonial Beach) after only one game against Surry in which Northumberland didn't even look that impressive. Northumbeland is good just not #5 good. More like 7-8 if we are all gonna be honest here.
Northumberland were looking rough on offense but after they were winning 30-0 they put in their 2nd team which mostly consist of sophomores and freshmen they only had a couple starters in to keep the 2nd string straight, but if Northumberland really wanted to they could have beaten them worst then 37-7

Okay, I have no issue with your thoughts there. As I mentioned, after the top two teams, at the point, it is challenging to precisely rank them until more games are played. All those teams will be a challenge for sure.

However, I don't just rank teams on the way I think they are today, I try to pick the top ten teams that will be the top ten at the end of the season. If I have sort of a tie, I try to project the winner (imo).

For example, Riverheads deserves to be #1 until defeated. However, as I have stated, I think if they happen to play again (especially if they play somewhere in the East ha), Essex will take them this time. Hence, I have placed Essex ahead of them.

Reactions: Jdavis54
I read someplace that Covington beat Alleghany for the first time on the road in 20 years or more and won by three touchdowns. So maybe they deserve to be higher.

Y’all love the Essex hype train. They have not improved. They should not be number 1. Until you beat the 2 time defending champ, who is returning just as much as Essex if not more, Essex should not be ranked ahead of them. Let’s all be real Every NNK team played a weak team in their season opener. The wins over Sussex, Middlesex, Surry, and Nandua were only confidence builders and warm up games.

Last edited:
Y’all love the Essex hype train. They have not improved. They should not be number 1. Until you beat the 2 time defending champ, who is returning just as much as Essex if not more, Essex should not be ranked ahead of them. Let’s all be real Every NNK team played a weak team in their season opener. The wins over Sussex, Middlesex, Surry, and Nandua were only confidence builders and warm up games.

Fair points - you may be correct, I guess that we will see how it plays out.

1) I am sure that many if not most folks would agree with you that Riverheads should be #1.

2) Are you saying that you are of the opinion that Colonial Beach and/or W&L have a strong shot of defeating Essex this year? Or even that you expect that Essex will fall?

3) As NNDsportsfan stated, many teams are down this year - I think that most of the NND teams are up this year - hence why I feel confident in ranking the Neck teams so high.

Good stuff.

Reactions: Eaglepride89
Don’t get me wrong, Essex has a team that is worthy of top spot mention but what is that opinion based on? I think Essex could very well be in the State Championship but they still have to play a team that has won the past 2 state titles and beat them in the playoffs the past 2 yrs to do so. And let’s not forget Chilhowie was a state finalist that returns a lot. I agree with NNDsportsfan as well because it seems a lot of teams are down this year. A lot of teams have cupcake schedules in the NND until district play, where the cream will rise to the top. I do believe Essex is the favorite in the NND and 2-5 can be a tossup. I just get tired of Essex being crowned before earning it.

Reactions: REDDEVILS00
Also idk if Colonial Beach or W&L can beat Essex. But in no way shape or form do I think it’s impossible or far fetched. If it happens, I wouldn’t be surprised at all

Colonial Beach will not beat Essex because Essex D-line will dominate the game & stop the run. W&L vs Essex game has two factors can Essex lock down the McNeil Brothers in passing game & Can W&L stop Essex run game.

Don’t get me wrong, Essex has a team that is worthy of top spot mention but what is that opinion based on? I think Essex could very well be in the State Championship but they still have to play a team that has won the past 2 state titles and beat them in the playoffs the past 2 yrs to do so. And let’s not forget Chilhowie was a state finalist that returns a lot. I agree with NNDsportsfan as well because it seems a lot of teams are down this year. A lot of teams have cupcake schedules in the NND until district play, where the cream will rise to the top. I do believe Essex is the favorite in the NND and 2-5 can be a tossup. I just get tired of Essex being crowned before earning it.

So then if someone had the opinion/prediction that someone other than Essex was going to win the district you would be fine with it?

Riverheads is #1 until someone dethroned them, but uvacavs is closer to Essex area than this area so he could have a bit of a bias, not a bad bias, but seeing the teams down there. It's all just his opinion, he has never said Essex WILL win a championship and there is no doubt, just stated his opinion, dont see how that is crowning them

Reactions: Eaglepride89
You’re right Gunz, it is just an opinion. Just like mines is just an opinion. But I also stated that Essex could very well be in the state game too. Nobody is saying that Essex can’t eventually be number 1. But as far as being ranked #1, I just don’t understand how and what it’s being based upon. If it’s bias, so be it. Nothing wrong with supporting your team.

You’re right Gunz, it is just an opinion. Just like mines is just an opinion. But I also stated that Essex could very well be in the state game too. Nobody is saying that Essex can’t eventually be number 1. But as far as being ranked #1, I just don’t understand how and what it’s being based upon. If it’s bias, so be it. Nothing wrong with supporting your team.

That is what didn't make sense to me in your post. You did say that, but then said tired of them being crowned. At this point, nobody should be crowned. Dont have a problem with either opinion, just dont get the being crowned part

That’s fine. We just disagree on the term “crowning” that I used. Maybe I could’ve used a more fitting word

Also @Gunz41 if someone else predicted that another team in the NND would win the district title, I would be fine with it depending on the team and reasoning behind it. But not this early in the season. Maybe after 4-5 games when I feel you can really assess a team.

And just for the record the only teams I see even coming close to competing for the NND other than the reigning champ Essex, is CB and W&L. And as of right now I’m only giving them a 20-25% chance of doing so and that percentage can dwindle based upon me seeing these teams live during the season.

Northumberland a top 5 team?!? No offense to what they’re doing over there because what that coach has done for that program for us to even been mentioning them as a top 10 team is remarkable. Hats off to him. But I’m not convinced yet. Reminds me of a Larry Brown Lancaster team. A one man show. But I guess it could be different since a lot of teams are down this year and Palmer is switching to RB, so we’ll see

I know it is a new year but I have a question. What was the aggregate average finish of the teams that these top teams played (state ranking across divisions)?
Run the numbers and tell me who plays the toughest competition.
Games are played on the field and honestly there is not a team in 1A that is playing at the level they will in 10 weeks. I agree the top few are a smidge better than the rest but who can say what order they would finish in? If we base it off of last year then look at the finishing order from last year. If it is conjecture and speculation based on our opinion, then half the class is undefeated as of this week.

If you eat cupcake all year, you get handled come playoff time.

Somebody run those numbers from last year and you will see why things play out the way they do.

And the haterade stand is open with mugs full for the masses. Drink up

It's good times
No stressing here baby
just showing the love for my boys
They starting out eating rocky road ice cream but that homemade flavor is on the way baby

I still believe yes baby I still believe

I know it is a new year but I have a question. What was the aggregate average finish of the teams that these top teams played (state ranking across divisions)?
Run the numbers and tell me who plays the toughest competition.
Games are played on the field and honestly there is not a team in 1A that is playing at the level they will in 10 weeks. I agree the top few are a smidge better than the rest but who can say what order they would finish in? If we base it off of last year then look at the finishing order from last year. If it is conjecture and speculation based on our opinion, then half the class is undefeated as of this week.

If you eat cupcake all year, you get handled come playoff time.

Somebody run those numbers from last year and you will see why things play out the way they do.

And the haterade stand is open with mugs full for the masses. Drink up

I would certainly think that RH would play the toughest schedule of the top teams, but I know more about them. Even though Stonewall made the playoffs, they wouldn't be considered a playoff team, and I believe in another Region Stuart's Draft makes it last year so that cancels each other out. So in alphabetical order, BG, Central Woodstock, East Rock, Luray, Robert E Lee, Stuarts Draft. So that leaves 2 teams that weren't good at all Bath and Stonewall, and 2 teams subpar in Page and Luray. That is a pretty tough schedule for a 1a team.

Hopefully they lose at least one this year :)

So then if someone had the opinion/prediction that someone other than Essex was going to win the district you would be fine with it?

Riverheads is #1 until someone dethroned them, but uvacavs is closer to Essex area than this area so he could have a bit of a bias, not a bad bias, but seeing the teams down there. It's all just his opinion, he has never said Essex WILL win a championship and there is no doubt, just stated his opinion, dont see how that is crowning them

Hey, Gunz41 (always respect and enjoy your thoughts) - I agree that we all have a bias and it is hard not to let it cloud our judgement.

Of course, our geographical location gives us more familiarity with our local teams. I will just say this - last season I had Riverheads winning it all season - over even Essex. I am not a Riverheads fan like you, but respect their success.

I also posted a few times over the season that WC in Region B and the top west teams will lose to Riverheads by 20 or more points (whoever played them in the title game). I was going to say 30 but thought that would be disrespectful so I tried to post with a little tact.

Many people said that was ridiculous. I just said okay. I do think that WC, Chilhowie, and Galax are better this season than they were last year.

I also think Essex is better and will be more prepared in many ways if they win Region A and face Riverheads again.

Who knows - maybe Essex gets knocked off in the Regions - but the odds are very slim, my friend. (BTW, I will pull for whoever wins Region A, but I am not pulling for Essex to do so.)

W&L /Northumberland will battle Essex this year but if I’m wrong winner of riverheads vs Essex will be crowned state champs sorry Region D &C

Galax will be a different animal this year just so someone says it out loud. Do not write them off so easily.

With what Chilhowie returns one would assume they will be a tough out as well.

The East does seem to have more depth with three to four teams with the tools to get it done by most people’s opinion, but that is just our opinion.

Let’s not forget that the 2015 Galax run through the playoffs started after a average regular season with no one but Blaster warning everyone that they could take the crown.

My point is, there isn’t a soul on this board that can accurately predict how these 16-18yr old young men will react as a season plays out. The big Mo is a killer both ways. If you get it, you can roll your competition. If you lose it, then it’s beyond a struggle to get it back.

Galax will be a different animal this year just so someone says it out loud. Do not write them off so easily.

The East does seem to have more depth with three to four teams with the tools to get it done by most people’s opinion, but that is just our opinion.

Let’s not forget that the 2015 Galax run through the playoffs started after a average regular season with no one but Blaster warning everyone that they could take the crown.

My point is, there isn’t a soul on this board that can accurately predict how these 16-18yr old young men will react as a season plays out. The big Mo is a killer both ways. If you get it, you can roll your competition. If you lose it, then it’s beyond a struggle to get it back.

I agree with all you said there.

Galax is always a wild card. Coach Dixon is awesome and Galax can never be counted out.

Chilhowie has also improved and has the great state experiences to build on.

I agree with your point about it being difficult to predict how the young men will react to adversity etc. but I do think that you can accurately predict how certain coaches will prepare and if they will have their troops ready when the time comes.

Reactions: WhudeyCHS
Hey, Gunz41 (always respect and enjoy your thoughts) - I agree that we all have a bias and it is hard not to let it cloud our judgement.

Of course, our geographical location gives us more familiarity with our local teams. I will just say this - last season I had Riverheads winning it all season - over even Essex. I am not a Riverheads fan like you, but respect their success.

I also posted a few times over the season that WC in Region B and the top west teams will lose to Riverheads by 20 or more points (whoever played them in the title game). I was going to say 30 but thought that would be disrespectful so I tried to post with a little tact.

Many people said that was ridiculous. I just said okay. I do think that WC, Chilhowie, and Galax are better this season than they were last year.

I also think Essex is better and will be more prepared in many ways if they win Region A and face Riverheads again.

Who knows - maybe Essex gets knocked off in the Regions - but the odds are very slim, my friend. (BTW, I will pull for whoever wins Region A, but I am not pulling for Essex to do so.)

You hurt my feelings there. You are more a Riverheads fan than me. I very much dislike them.

And wasnt saying your bias was wrong. Quite the contrary. I was saying that seeing Essex more than Riverheads or William Campbell or Chilhowie give you more of an insight into them and their potential. That is a key factor into you ranking them ahead, and of course them already having played a game. So I was taking up for your ranking, and explaining to the other guy why in my opinion why he shouldn't be looking at it as crowning them.

Now @Gunz41 , you know deep down in places you don’t like to talk about at parties, you love the Red Team.

@uvacavs1, there is certainly a lot to be said about how the past is a predictor for the future. I too believe that coaches have tendencies, both good and bad. The team we see on the field is generally a reflection of that head coach or his assistant coaches.

Now @Gunz41 , you know deep down in places you don’t like to talk about at parties, you love the Red Team.

@uvacavs1, there is certainly a lot to be said about how the past is a predictor for the future. I too believe that coaches have tendencies, both good and bad. The team we see on the field is generally a reflection of that head coach or his assistant coaches.

No @RedPrideNation_RollPride not in the slightest. I respect them though and that is the reason I will stick up for them if need arises. There are at least 2 if not more teams I dislike more then Red Team

I would certainly think that RH would play the toughest schedule of the top teams, but I know more about them. Even though Stonewall made the playoffs, they wouldn't be considered a playoff team, and I believe in another Region Stuart's Draft makes it last year so that cancels each other out. So in alphabetical order, BG, Central Woodstock, East Rock, Luray, Robert E Lee, Stuarts Draft. So that leaves 2 teams that weren't good at all Bath and Stonewall, and 2 teams subpar in Page and Luray. That is a pretty tough schedule for a 1a team.

Hopefully they lose at least one this year :)
How many 2a and 3a teams do they play Just curious I am not familiar with that areas teams

You said it best - with a bunch of 16 to 18 year olds anything can and will happen.

Virginia Class 1A State Top Ten Football Poll by uvacavs1

August 25, 2018

1) Essex
2) Riverheads
3) Chilhowie
4) Galax
5) Northumberland
6) Colonial Beach
7) William Campbell
8) Washington and Lee
9) Narrows
10) Rappahannock-Warsaw

UVA, I agree with most of it. Only my opinion. Move Galax up to 3, followed by tie with Colonial Beach and Chilhowie. Swap out number 9 Narrows with West Point. Only my take. Your poll is probably more accurate than mine.

Reactions: MGF and uvacavs1
To answer Optimal's question, this year Riverheads will play:

Two 1-A teams....Bath and Stonewall

Eight 2-a teams.........Stuarts Draft, East Rockingham, Buffalo Gap, Luray, R E Lee, Wilson Memorial, Central Woodstock, and Page County

We have played Waynesboro in the past, which is 3-A and next year we will play Fort Defiance if they come into the Shenandoah, and they are also 3-A. Not only that but there are rumors that some of the above teams will be stepping up to 3-A. If they do, and if we continue to play them, that will help our points standings.

Reactions: Optimal62
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT