ADVERTISEMENT

Class 4 Boys State Championship: Lake Taylor 72, Handley 66 FINAL (2OT)

BREAKING
Handley loses to Lake Taylor in double overtime in Class 4 state title game
  • By Robert Niedzwiecki

RICHMOND - The Handley boys’ basketball team was denied its first state championship in program history in excruciating fashion on Saturday, losing 72-66 in double overtime to Lake Taylor in the Class 4 final at the Virginia Commonwealth University Siegel Center.

The Judges - who trailed 31-21 at halftime - took a 50-49 lead with 1:22 left on a free throw by Ra’Shaad Morris, that was still the score after Lake Taylor’s Dereon Seabron grabbed the second of Judges point guard Michael Brown’s two missed two throws with 15.4 seconds left. Handley had made 13 of 17 free throws after Morris’ trip to the line, but made only 4 of 14 attempts beginning with Brown’s two free throw attempts.

Lake Taylor’s Joe Bryant missed a 3-pointer with four seconds left, creating a scramble for a rebound that bounced around several players. Kaeshawn Ward won the battle and fed the ball ahead to Seabron underneath the basket, and Seabron was fouled with four-tenths of a second left.

Seabron missed the first free throw but made the second to tie it at 50. Curry got off a desperation 3-point shot from about 30 feet after catching a long inbounds pass, but his attempt went off the right side of the backboard.

The end of the first overtime ended with the score tied at 54. Lake Taylor’s Tyquan McNair drove into the lane after the Titans inbounded the ball with 6.8 seconds left, but he lost control the ball and Curry scooped it up.

The second overtime was defined by the 3-point shooting of Lake Taylor’s Dee’vaughan Blackwell, Seabron and the Titans’ free-throw shooting.

Blackwell - who was 5 of 6 from 3-point range for the game - hit two shots from beyond the arc in the first 1:18 to give Lake Taylor a 60-55 lead. Seabron scored six of his game-high 24 points in the second OT and hit 2 of 3 free throws, part of an 8-of-11 performance from the Titans in the session.

Gus Wise hit a 3-pointer with 30 seconds left to bring Handley within 66-64, but the Judges couldn’t get any closer. Lake Taylor made all six of its remaining free throws.

Handley ends the season with a 25-4 record. This was its third state finals appearance in school history and first since 2014. Lake Taylor went 26-1 and won its first state title in program history.

Brown had 20 points to lead Handley. Wise had 14, and Curry and D’Andre James had 11 each.

For more information, see Monday’s edition of The Winchester Star.

I agree, this game was good from beginning to the very end. I was very surprised that Mike Brown missed that many FTs. That kid is still one Heck of a ballplayer. Lake Taylor and Handley were up for the task. Handley just came up a bit short. Great game nonetheless.

This sums it all up ... missed opportunities ...

The Judges - who trailed 31-21 at halftime - took a 50-49 lead with 1:22 left on a free throw by Ra’Shaad Morris, that was still the score after Lake Taylor’s Dereon Seabron grabbed the second of Judges point guard Michael Brown’s two missed two throws with 15.4 seconds left.

Handley had made 13 of 17 free throws after Morris’ trip to the line, but made only 4 of 14 attempts beginning with Brown’s two free throw attempts.

Was the Siegal Center packed and what's the Handley curse?
Just something I pick with the Northwest guys about (particularly Hamspear who is a Sherando fan). In 2014 (the year they beat GW in the state quarters) they were up 40-26 in the 4th quarter of the state championship game against IC Norcom. Norcom went on a 21-2 run to claim the lead before winning 57-52. That Handley team was absolutely loaded. That was the start of the 4-peat for Norcom.

Reactions: AntGZee
worst officiated state game ever for girls and boys in 4A those 6 officials should never be allowed to call another postseason game again

Any team that goes 17-31 from the line and has the audasity to blame or call the officials the worst, is a fanboy. Now if you want to talk about the girls game...

Reactions: AntGZee
I was in Richmond for all the championships. The officiating was very inconsistent at best. Last year was just as bad, maybe even worse.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I was in Richmond for all the championships. The officiating was very inconsistent at best. Last year was just as bad, maybe even worse.

I was there too. I won’t say all games were called consistently, but that last game was called well. And like I said before, the girls game...well...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT