ADVERTISEMENT

Class 4 looking at eight region setup

8 regions? That is crazy... 58 divided by 8 is 7.25... So we are talking about regions with roughly 7-8 teams? That's not a region, that's a district.

The thing to do would be split Region B into two sub-regions... 4 teams from each sub region makes the playoffs and the two sub-region champions face-off for a trip to the state semifinals.

Eight is too many, but the current imbalance of teams per region is also grossly unfair and shouldn't stand as is. While I get that travel concerns have to be taken into consideration it's silly that some regions have twice as many teams as others. In certain regions you can basically show up and get a playoff berth while in others 7-3 might not be enough.

Or, you can ship seven teams out west to 4D for two years. (Spotsylvania, Chancellor, Courtland, Eastern View, Louisa County, Orange County, Western Albemarle).

This would keep Region A at 13, put Region B at 14, Region C stays at 16, Region D goes to 15. Not bad when it comes to parity.

With a little effort, the VHSL could even the number of schools in the regions. What a concept that would be.

8 regions? That is crazy... 58 divided by 8 is 7.25... So we are talking about regions with roughly 7-8 teams? That's not a region, that's a district.

The thing to do would be split Region B into two sub-regions... 4 teams from each sub region makes the playoffs and the two sub-region champions face-off for a trip to the state semifinals.
I have been saying that Dan but since there are 21 schools ; I thought 6 from each section would be fairer. They are already set to do that in Class 6 in NOVA.

For Immediate Release
Wednesday, September 2, 2020

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The VHSL Appeal Committee met today to hear appeals and make recommendations for final alignment for 2021-22 and 2022-23. The Appeal Committee voted 5-0 to present its final plan with justification for Executive Committee approval on September 23.

The following appeals were heard and acted upon:
1. Approved Buffalo Gap's request to play down in classification from Class 2B to Class 1B – 4-1 (approved)
2. Approved Caroline's appeal to move down in classification from Class 4B to Class 3B – 4-1 (approved)
3. Approved Giles' appeal to move down in classification from Class 2C to Class 1C – 5-0 (approved)
4. Denied Class 4B's appeal that Class 4 be divided into 8 regions with a range of 6-9 schools per region – 0-5 (denied)

The committee made it clear that declining enrollment numbers were the factors considered in their approval of appeals by Buffalo Gap, Caroline, and Giles to move down in classification.
The attached files are posted on the VHSL website under Alignment then Resources: https://www.vhsl.org/alignment/alignmentdistrictregion-table/

September 9 - Appeals to Executive Committee due for the purpose of being placed on the Executive Committee agenda for its September 23 meeting

September 23 - Executive Committee determines final alignment plan – 2021-22 – 2022-23

Last edited:
Reactions: CRF4Dan

be that as it may - this maybe the future of Class 4. Have you been able to wrap your mind around what this would look like.
We were talking on Twitter about teams making the playoffs - I went with 12 teams in the playoffs:
8 region winners
4 at-large teams with the highest ratings.
teams in the playoffs will be rated 1-12 whether they are the region winner or not.

be that as it may - this maybe the future of Class 4. Have you been able to wrap your mind around what this would look like.
We were talking on Twitter about teams making the playoffs - I went with 12 teams in the playoffs:
8 region winners
4 at-large teams with the highest ratings.
teams in the playoffs will be rated 1-12 whether they are the region winner or not.

I suppose that could work but I still think 8 regions are too much.

Whatever happens it might just be temporary because I still here a lot of chatter about the VHSL moving to 4 classes as opposed to 6 when the next cycle comes around. So fall of 2023-2024 could be a whole new format yet again.

I suppose that could work but I still think 8 regions are too much.

Whatever happens it might just be temporary because I still here a lot of chatter about the VHSL moving to 4 classes as opposed to 6 when the next cycle comes around. So fall of 2023-2024 could be a whole new format yet again.
I also heard 6 regions as another choice. That would change the playoffs a little:
6 regions winners
and
6 at-at large teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT