ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Grubbs Clarke County Softball 31 years

Oct 19, 2018
#ClarkeCounty coach Susan Grubbs has announced her retirement after 31 years. No current head coach at any of the five local high schools has spent more time at their position. Went 387-262-2 and won 10 Star Coach of the Year awards.

#ClarkeCounty coach Susan Grubbs has announced her retirement after 31 years. No current head coach at any of the five local high schools has spent more time at their position. Went 387-262-2 and won 10 Star Coach of the Year awards.
She was basically asked to resign and forced out just before their regional playoff game. 31 years of working with kids and fundraising capped off with a swift kick out the door. Parents have all of the power.

The 54-year-old Grubbs said the demands of the job — which include more dealings with parents than what she was accustomed to in her earlier years — made the 1983 Clarke County graduate feel like the time was right to leave the program in the hands of someone else.

“It’s gotten to the point where parents in high school athletics are very involved,” Grubbs said.

“It’s gotten to the point where parents in high school athletics are very involved,” Grubbs said.

In my opinion, if the administration (Athletic Director/Principal) supports their coaches then parents should not be an issue. When administrators kowtow to parent requests then the coaches are just sitting ducks.

I'm assuming they were looking for a reason to get rid of her. Seems like 'they' could have waited until after the playoff game since they permitted her to resign instead of firing her.

In my opinion, if the administration (Athletic Director/Principal) supports their coaches then parents should not be an issue. When administrators kowtow to parent requests then the coaches are just sitting ducks.

I'm assuming they were looking for a reason to get rid of her. Seems like 'they' could have waited until after the playoff game since they permitted her to resign instead of firing her.

She summed it up. Too many parents involved! Some kids were asked directly if they were trying to get her fired and they answered Yes. No coach can survive that environment if the administrators allow it !!! Is that all it takes??!!!

ADVERTISEMENT