ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches Need to stop acting like sore losers

Nov 29, 2012
Disappointed to hear about this from a family member...but it does make me what to support my County! For years our tradition has been physical hard nose smash mouth football! Yes we hit to the whistle and from smallest to biggest. It's football people and win or lose Tiger football players will definitely hit another moving that has on another jersey! I will be in attendance to see future Sussex County athletic events! Read the article below...#TIGERPRIDE

http://www.southhillenterprise.com/sports/article_e7b204b8-908a-11e6-9d3f-cbfd1e021418.html

I hate interviewing a coach after a loss. I hate being interviewed even after a win, so a loss makes it even worse. You can't go from passionate to tranquil in two minutes. That's is why the only quote I have given or will give is, "Everyone involved did very well."

Reactions: gwb16
I am proud of Coach Hutcheson and what he is doing and imparting in the young men at Park View beyond the game of football. I think as a fan you want to see a hard physical game and Coach Hutcheson is a hard-nosed Coach himself. A former Park View standout Linebacker and a Hall of Famer at Averett University at Linebacker. If you were there to here the fans cheering and saying hurry up and get him off the field was not classy. Most teams take a knee and fans clap after the opposing player is removed to ensure he is ok and then you get back to action. The refs even gave Sussex several late flags for unsportmanlike conduct due to talking or late hits.The refs brought both teams to mid-field afterward to talk about just playing the game. What I have seen from some teams in the Tri-River Distirct the sportsmanship is absent in their coaching. We need Coaches who exemplify respect and teach the game and kids the right way. During pre-game of the Franklin game the head coach stare and talked trash to Park View and 2 other kids not playing in uniform stood beside him and did the same thing. This is not the 1st occassion he has done this. Remember Sussex cleared its bench in 2013 crossing the other sideline fighiting PV and both teams suffered ejections. Yes he may seem bitter in the interview but if you were at the game you would understand.Also the chain crew of Sussex were yelling and cheering during the game on PV sideline. The refs had to settle them down or they were gonna switch out the crew in the 1st quarter. You want your fans to be excited and engaged but respect and sportsmanship is first. Remember its just a game!

Reactions: gwb16
These are MY OPINIONS..I am only a former resident of the county!
Now that is out the way lol. First lets clarify something...coaches can't control the actions of fans. Next I can only speak for Sussex coaching staff not other Tri-River coaching staffs. From my knowledge Sussex has always been a classy program. Misunderstood yea but always respectful. Please don't get the flags confused. Most calls are from players going hard until the whistle blow(that is not dirty). And all kids these days talk tbh it is a part of the game as long as it is respectful. Taunting is a different ball game. That should be flagged whether it is done by a Sussex player or not. I was at the game in Park View (2013)...keep in mind their players were involved in a scuffle with a few Sussex players on their sideline. As a kid what would have you done? Stay on your sideline or go protect your teammate/brother? Any coach that thinks they can stop ALL players from doing what Sussex did is out of their mind. You said it best it is just a game! Win or lose don't bash another school's program. Accept the results and move on to the next week.

Reactions: smallandfast
I shouldn't get into this discussion because it is none of my business, but I do have a pertinent point to make. My school (Riverheads) has made three trips to three different schools in that part of the state for playoff games within the last 16 years. In two of those three cases, we witnessed very poor sportsmanship on the part of the hosting team. In one case, it started even before the game began, so it could hardly have been blamed on who was winning or what the officiating was like. And of course since we were total strangers to the teams in question, it could not have had anything to do with an established rivalry.

I will mention that Sussex is the one school out of those three in which, to my knowledge, there was no poor sportsmanship. If it happened, I did not see it.

Around here, we are still accustomed to seeing players help one another up off the ground, pat one another on the back for a good play, etc. It is really not that hard to do, even if you are bitter rivals.

Whether I agree with what a coach says or not, I give props to the Park View Coach for speaking his mind.

Many coaches say the same thing to reporters every week "Great job to our opponent. I'm proud of the kids but we gotta do better." How dull. However, I understand why many do not make any interesting comments. Some coaches are more colorful than others. To each his own style.

It sounds like there were some classless actions down in Sussex. I do not know for sure, but I'd bet many folks may agree with the Park View coach.

I'll just say this (and I'm not trying to upset anyone down there at all as I pull for the Old Region A). Sussex sounds very talented and has many skill players. They have a shot to win it all. It appears like they may be a bit unruly at times and lack some organizational discipline.

IF Sussex happens to face a well organized, prepared, disciplined, and talented team like a Riverheads in Salem, well, I would put my money on the most prepared and disciplined team, regardless of speed and skill.

Reactions: obguthr and gwb16
I am glad adults can have an open discussion without being disrespectful. We all agree and disagree on certain aspects of this situation. I do have a few questions...how can you be among the top teams in the state year in and year out if you aren't organized, prepared, disciplined? How can it be possible to have a talented overall team every year? How can you be considered unruly because what your fans do? I contacted someone who has ties in both counties. He and his wife stated that Park View came out trying to taunt Sussex in pre game(players and an assistant coach). They also said that some of Sussex players were playing with emotion(celebrating after big plays). Sussex is in the wrong if the celebrations were taunting. Basically the wife said "both teams were doing a lot of barking but one team(PV) couldn't handle it when it was time to bite!"

Please help me with this uvacavs(do you attend their games?)....just asking because I want to know how you base your opinions. I'm not completely sure but I think you have said that Sussex was well coached and that they were not disciplined before.

I shouldn't get into this discussion because it is none of my business, but I do have a pertinent point to make. My school (Riverheads) has made three trips to three different schools in that part of the state for playoff games within the last 16 years. In two of those three cases, we witnessed very poor sportsmanship on the part of the hosting team. In one case, it started even before the game began, so it could hardly have been blamed on who was winning or what the officiating was like. And of course since we were total strangers to the teams in question, it could not have had anything to do with an established rivalry.

I will mention that Sussex is the one school out of those three in which, to my knowledge, there was no poor sportsmanship. If it happened, I did not see it.

Around here, we are still accustomed to seeing players help one another up off the ground, pat one another on the back for a good play, etc. It is really not that hard to do, even if you are bitter rivals.
Sussex players were waiting for our team to get off the bus that year and made the comments " he is white, he is white , they are all white " and were happy of that ! We went on to win the game and I don't remember any dirty play . I talked to a lot of nice fans from Sussex that day. Maybe we get the chance to see them again .

Understandable and I apologize sincerely for that happening. But I am still waiting for someone to explain the unorganized part an/or how they are not disciplined..........

Understandable and I apologize sincerely for that happening. But I am still waiting for someone to explain the unorganized part an/or how they are not disciplined..........
Have you watched Riverheads play ? They are the definition of Discipline !

No I haven't so I wouldn't label their team. so my question again...have you been to or seen this Sussex team play?
I have not seen Sussex this year . If they look like they have in past years , I can guess what they might look like . They may be the real deal . I will check out Max Preps and Youtube and see what I can find .

I have not seen Sussex this year . If they look like they have in past years , I can guess what they might look like . They may be the real deal . I will check out Max Preps and Youtube and see what I can find .

That's all that I ask sir. I'm not saying they are the real deal but I will say that they shouldn't be labeled as undisciplined. Year in and year out they are in the top 5 of their conference(1A East). You can't be undisciplined and unprepared but still compete for a title every year. I don't care how much talent you have!

I was at the park view/franklin game and i sit on the visitors side..you wouldve thought franklin shot the coach's dog the way he talkin about franklin.but we welcome the trash talk.just be willin to take it if you can dish it

I was at the park view/franklin game and i sit on the visitors side..you wouldve thought franklin shot the coach's dog the way he talkin about franklin.but we welcome the trash talk.just be willin to take it if you can dish it
If I remember correctly , I have seen some of the Broncos trash talk in the 06 pregame . Broncos did not fair well in that one ! A couple players refused to finish the game . Even if all in fun , sometimes it may bite you and make you look a bit foolish .

Reactions: obguthr
I posted this on another thread but it should have been in this thread:

Coach Curtis has been a class act. Sometimes his kids cross the line but the majority of time they don't and he punishes them when they do. Football is a tough sport and he teaches to play to whistle. I appreciate how hard his teams play and I've always hated having to play there b/c I knew it was going to be physical. Coach Curtis has flown under the radar as one of the great coaches around and in my opinion is grossly underrated.

Reactions: smallandfast
I love when Franklin plays Sussex/Southampton..blowouts or not both sides know aint nobody gonna shutup til the clock hit triple zero; and then go get beers.i guess its just who u play and familiar with.I cant see any of those coaches losing and saying a team needs to show class

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT