ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel

A

anon_y7v0wv40itxop

With the season winding down and the offseason approaching, what are some possible openings this offseason? Who are some strong emerging candidates? Three jobs are possibly open that I know of (William Byrd, Amherst, Staunton River) and more will come open as the offseason goes on. Will any current Head coaches leave for other jobs?

Reactions: Jags101
Coach Woodson at Powhatan High School announced that he will be retiring at the end of this football season.

That is a big time opening. He has been there for a long time and has had a lot of success in that program. Is there anyone on staff that they would possibly promote?

Those are some really openings, Will be interesting to see how it all plays out

Very interesting. This might be a year with a lot of turnover. I'm curious to see how many coaches change jobs or if other assistants will move up.

This past year was by far the highest with coaches leaving a program

Jeff Glessner Steps down as head coach at Chancellor High School.
His 2 year coaching record ended at 7-13

Last edited:
Jeff Glessner Steps down as head coach at Chancellor High School.
His 2 year coaching record ended at 7-13
They should have taken one of Oliver’s assistance when they had the chance. Glessner cleaned house now nothing is left

They should have taken one of Oliver’s assistance when they had the chance. Glessner cleaned house now nothing is left
If I remember right I believe they had some univ-of-md type issues that last season Oliver was there. Probably had to clean house whether he wanted to or not. I imagine he was coached by several of those guys that were there.

If I remember right I believe they had some univ-of-md type issues that last season Oliver was there. Probably had to clean house whether he wanted to or not. I imagine he was coached by several of those guys that were there.
What Maryland type issues are you talking about? There was no scandal or issues with that team. That staff was great for those kids. Oliver’s last year they went 9-3 and the JV won a district title. In hindsight maybe would have been smart to hire 1 of the several in house candidates.

Reactions: OCBoy
The scandal was the AD firing, no wrongdoing in the program. The staff Oliver had in place was doing all the work and had paid their dues installing the spread after years of ground and pound. Approximately 10-11 kids went on to play college ball after those 21 seniors graduated. 6 of them on scholarship offers of some sort. A tremendous culmination of the 4yr transition. A special year for those seniors.

Even their freshman qb/varsity backup(now a junior) was just waiting in wings as anyone would tell you, he had all the tools and was practicing against the likes of Yetur Matos and crew each day. He not only had the backing of his peers, but that senior class as well. That kid just returned after parents moved him back and he was essentially banished from this new coach. Actually sent over to the defense. Kid could throw and was ice cold doing it. Some of his soph film up north shows exactly that but if he thought he was going to be welcomed (back) by the new coach/Glessner, he definitely guessed wrong.

An educated guess that nobody has really talked about is that Oliver may have, behind the scenes, help facilitate one of his own players(Glessner) coming back. Honestly it shocked everyone that one from Oliver's last staff didn't land job and if you poll the remaining players who fell into his regime, most would tell you they weren't too happy about the last two years.

Will be interesting to see if the next hire will look at a new scheme to better utilize more of the talent or just simply rely on their beast at running back, who made the rest of the backfield look a whole lot better.

The scandal was the AD firing, no wrongdoing in the program. The staff Oliver had in place was doing all the work and had paid their dues installing the spread after years of ground and pound. Approximately 10-11 kids went on to play college ball after those 21 seniors graduated. 6 of them on scholarship offers of some sort. A tremendous culmination of the 4yr transition. A special year for those seniors.

Even their freshman qb/varsity backup(now a junior) was just waiting in wings as anyone would tell you, he had all the tools and was practicing against the likes of Yetur Matos and crew each day. He not only had the backing of his peers, but that senior class as well. That kid just returned after parents moved him back and he was essentially banished from this new coach. Actually sent over to the defense. Kid could throw and was ice cold doing it. Some of his soph film up north shows exactly that but if he thought he was going to be welcomed (back) by the new coach/Glessner, he definitely guessed wrong.

An educated guess that nobody has really talked about is that Oliver may have, behind the scenes, help facilitate one of his own players(Glessner) coming back. Honestly it shocked everyone that one from Oliver's last staff didn't land job and if you poll the remaining players who fell into his regime, most would tell you they weren't too happy about the last two years.

Will be interesting to see if the next hire will look at a new scheme to better utilize more of the talent or just simply rely on their beast at running back, who made the rest of the backfield look a whole lot better.
This isn’t even close to the situation with that kid

Anyone have any news on potential replacements for some of those other jobs already open? Is Amherst open or are they sticking with Coach Crews? Who will replace Highfil? Fort Chiswell? Staunton River? Who could replace Woodson at Powhatan?

What Maryland type issues are you talking about? There was no scandal or issues with that team. That staff was great for those kids. Oliver’s last year they went 9-3 and the JV won a district title. In hindsight maybe would have been smart to hire 1 of the several in house candidates.
Knew I should’ve worded that differently. I thought there were issues with the AD/Players/others. No use rehashing.....my mistake.

Anyone have any news on potential replacements for some of those other jobs already open? Is Amherst open or are they sticking with Coach Crews? Who will replace Highfil? Fort Chiswell? Staunton River? Who could replace Woodson at Powhatan?
Is little Jeff Highfill on staff there?

He is in the FBI in Arkansas

I would assume that he won't be taking over for the Terriers obviously. Is there any other candidates for the job? Any current coaches on staff that would fill Highfil's shoes? Maybe they could go with another former Salem guy to lead the program for the next 40 years.

He brought them all back and they ran him out of town
Who ran him out of town? The core of the final Oliver staff has moved out of the area or are at King George, Stafford and riverbend. I think only 1 varsity coach and 1 JV coach remained after Oliver left and Glessner was hired.

Who ran him out of town? The core of the final Oliver staff has moved out of the area or are at King George, Stafford and riverbend. I think only 1 varsity coach and 1 JV coach remained after Oliver left and Glessner was hired.
Maybe of the final Oliver staff but not of all Oliver staffs. Take a look at who he brought in this year and now he’s gone.

Patriot, Battlefield, Heritage (Leesburg), Dominion, Rock Ridge, Freedom (South Riding), and the new Loudoun school Independence are in need of HC’s.

Maybe of the final Oliver staff but not of all Oliver staffs. Take a look at who he brought in this year and now he’s gone.
Haven’t really kept up with them since Oliver left. No longer have kids in the program. Who did Glessner bring in? He was an Oliver guy too, I figure any chancellor coaches from Oliver’s old staffs would want to see him succeed was that not the case?

Haven’t really kept up with them since Oliver left. No longer have kids in the program. Who did Glessner bring in? He was an Oliver guy too, I figure any chancellor coaches from Oliver’s old staffs would want to see him succeed was that not the case?
From some of the responses on social media I’d say a lot of former chargers never wanted him to succeed. I assume they thought it was a bad hire.

ADVERTISEMENT