ADVERTISEMENT

College Football v the NFL

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
I was thinking while watching VA Tech v West Virginia tonight and other huge college games and upsets this weekend (Liberty!) how there is no doubt that I now prefer the college football experience by far to the NFL.

I grew up a rabid NFL fan and although I went to some college games and liked it, the NFL to me was superior. Over the last several years, I have drifted more and more to a college fan (and of high school) way over the pros.

The college football product represents tradition, spectacular pageantry, unreal passionate fans, colors, marching bands, amazing tailgating, cool mascots, fascinating coaching personalities, state and school pride, huge match ups every week, and just a great family atmosphere on Game Day!

To me, the NFL has become about Roger Goodell, Colin Kaepernick, PR disasters like that idiotic deflategate, domestic abuse and so on.

Heck, the last NFL game I went to we got in a minor traffic accident in traffic jam trying to get to Fed Ex, I counted well over 10 fights (some bad), and many people acted like fools (it was MNF). I haven't been back to a game since. I have a big flat screen at home to enjoy like most ha.

Oh I still watch the NFL but if it wasn't for my fantasy football league, I'm not sure if I would even care anymore. Except for maybe a fun Super Bowl party!

Any other thoughts on this topic? Maybe I'm just getting old ha.

I was thinking while watching VA Tech v West Virginia tonight and other huge college games and upsets this weekend (Liberty!) how there is no doubt that I now prefer the college football experience by far to the NFL.

I grew up a rabid NFL fan and although I went to some college games and liked it, the NFL to me was superior. Over the last several years, I have drifted more and more to a college fan (and of high school) way over the pros.

The college football product represents tradition, spectacular pageantry, unreal passionate fans, colors, marching bands, amazing tailgating, cool mascots, fascinating coaching personalities, state and school pride, huge match ups every week, and just a great family atmosphere on Game Day!

To me, the NFL has become about Roger Goodell, Colin Kaepernick, PR disasters like that idiotic deflategate, domestic abuse and so on.

Heck, the last NFL game I went to we got in a minor traffic accident in traffic jam trying to get to Fed Ex, I counted well over 10 fights (some bad), and many people acted like fools (it was MNF). I haven't been back to a game since. I have a big flat screen at home to enjoy like most ha.

Oh I still watch the NFL but if it wasn't for my fantasy football league, I'm not sure if I would even care anymore. Except for maybe a fun Super Bowl party!

High school and college any day. I love my Cowboys also. I actually prefer high school first. I am tired of hearing about Colin K

No other thoughts.....

You summed it up for me perfectly.

H.S. then college with NFL a distant third.

I used to go to most Skins home games when my Dad got tickets when Fed Ex first opened. That season ticket waiting list is a joke now. You go up to FedEx any Sunday and you have to fight your way thru scalpers!

They cut our old endzone seats out of the stadium and I finally got sick of the fights, the drunk morons cursing incessantly, the hella traffic into and out of Fed Ex and Dan Snyder running his empire's cashcow team into the ground.

But I digress....

Hail Skins!

Until FBS college football has a real playoff like every other level of football, the NFL always wins. Bowl games are meaningless and little different than a "You did okay this year" trophy.

The P5 should have a proper playoff, the G5 should have a playoff, and the FCS should keep its playoff system (or merge with the G5).

I'll take UVACAV1's stance even further. High school ball here in Virginia is tops, college ball second, and NO NFL at all is third.

I'm done with the NFL. I know that most of the players, and many of the team owners are decent to exceptional people. But Goodall, the league itself, and the 10% of players that forget how privileged they are to play the game at the this level..., well, they have ruined it for me.

I went 15 years not watching the NBA because of similar sentiments. Until the last few years, I would not have watched an NBA game, if my life depended on it.

I know whether or not I watch or follow the NFL makes less than zero difference to anybody, but it's my right, and my way of showing displeasure, so to hell with them.

Agree with uvacavs1, you can't beat the value of HS & College football. The entertainment level for $6 - 10 per game is great. The college game is still a great value, too.

Heck, this week, I went to a HS football Thursday & Friday, a college game Saturday and capped it off by watching the Tech game on TV. I didn't really miss the lack of an NFL game!

The NFL is like New York City, you need to go visit 1, 2 or even 3 times but each time, I come home appreciating that I didn't have to stay. In fact, I feel sorry for those that do! There's something unnatural about the whole experience.

I clear my schedule for VT and my local HS team. Grew up always watching my NFL team but only watch if I am not busy doing something else, I do not alter my schedule. On most Sunday afternoons my fitness center workouts take priority.

I quit watching NFL 3 years ago. Don't miss it at all. Too many thugs getting off easy because they can play a game, pansies who refuse to honor the US National Anthem yet would crap their pants if they spent 2 seconds as an infantryman, and fans who just don't know how to behave like human beings in the stands.

I LOVE COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!!

I'll take UVACAV1's stance even further. High school ball here in Virginia is tops, college ball second, and NO NFL at all is third.

I'm done with the NFL. I know that most of the players, and many of the team owners are decent to exceptional people. But Goodall, the league itself, and the 10% of players that forget how privileged they are to play the game at the this level..., well, they have ruined it for me.

I went 15 years not watching the NBA because of similar sentiments. Until the last few years, I would not have watched an NBA game, if my life depended on it.

I know whether or not I watch or follow the NFL makes less than zero difference to anybody, but it's my right, and my way of showing displeasure, so to hell with them.
I refuse to watch NBA because they glorify idiots who cheat on their wives, sire children with tramps who get pregnant for the money, basically the same crap as with the NFL.

I do like Major League Baseball though! GO CUBS!!

Reactions: CRF4Dan

No other thoughts.....

You summed it up for me perfectly.

H.S. then college with NFL a distant third.

I used to go to most Skins home games when my Dad got tickets when Fed Ex first opened. That season ticket waiting list is a joke now. You go up to FedEx any Sunday and you have to fight your way thru scalpers!

They cut our old endzone seats out of the stadium and I finally got sick of the fights, the drunk morons cursing incessantly, the hella traffic into and out of Fed Ex and Dan Snyder running his empire's cashcow team into the ground.

But I digress....

Hail Skins!
Spot on. Way too many stupid drunks at FedEx. Costs way too much and takes all day. There is a reason God sent HDTV.

I refuse to watch NBA because they glorify idiots who cheat on their wives, sire children with tramps who get pregnant for the money, basically the same crap as with the NFL.

I do like Major League Baseball though! GO CUBS!!

ClarkeFan, glad to hear there is another Cubs fan on the board.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT