ADVERTISEMENT

Colonial Beach 51 Rappahannock 49 Final

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
Raiders battle back from 7 down with three minutes to go and tie it up at 49, but the Beach wins it in the end.

Heard it was a great game with a great finish but an ugly scene afterwards.

Game came down missed FTs for Rapp & Epps being in foul trouble. Epps may have played a total of 11 mins tonight.
Actually, I would say Rapps free throws is the only thing that kept them in the game. They scored just as much from the line as they did from the field. They had plenty of help from the officials. Had CBs shooting in the first half been anywhere near what they've been doing, the game would not have been close.

And it's definitely safe to say the after game incident was ugly. Anytime a HS player makes a point to involve themselves in an altercation, it should be the end of his season. And not only did he do it once, he did it twice.

The smallest school in the district. How about giving Coach Dickerson some props for doing to boys program what he did with colonial beach's girl program, A COMPLETE TURN AROUND. Remember when CB's girls dominated the NNK for about a 4 or 5 year stretch and never lost a district game. This is his second years as the boys coach and they believe in him and have bought into his system.

Reactions: afitnupe75
And it's definitely safe to say the after game incident was ugly. Anytime a HS player makes a point to involve themselves in an altercation, it should be the end of his season. And not only did he do it once, he did it twice.
What altercation? Was there a fight or was there an argument? Stop trying to over blow something and make it more than what it was. End of his season? Whoever you are go back to the circus clown b/c clearly you don't know what your talking about.
Rapp missed 13FT's and lost by 2 so I'm not quite sure which game you were watching.

To be clear, there doesn't have to be a 'fight' to be an altercation. It's was definitely more than an 'argument' when a player rushes bystanders after the game. If that same thing had happened during the game, that player would have been ejected. But to aggressively approach fans/bystanders and incite the situation almost to the point of a major fight, yeah...that's beyond an argument. When is the last time you went to a game and a player did that? And if he did, what happened afterwards? Get for real. The officiating already lets enough occur, don't try to condone stuff like that on top of it. I see plenty of arguments at games, but they don't go that far. What it's called is poor sportsmanship. And yeah, we were at the same game. Just with different viewpoints. Given the amount of FTs you note Rapp missed, and the amount they made... that amount of foul calls seems kind of lop sided doesn't it? Give CB the same amount of foul calls they deserved, average their free throw percentages, then tell me what the score could have been. Or, just the fact that CB had prob one of the worst shooting first halves they've had all season. But hey, it is what it is. If you think the game and the actions after the game represented quality character/play, then that's your opinion. I'm sure the school leadership on both sides might disagree. I have no problem with whoever is the best team that day being on top, I just want to see an evenly called game, and good sportsmanship...win or lose.

This incident occurred well after the game was over. The Rapp gym has security cameras so I'm sure it's all on the video tape, or the SD Card!

The short point is that players were still in the gym, on school property, and they are still a member of the team. A player is still accountable for their actions, in regular clothes, in the gym, on the bus, or wherever...point blank. Kids get suspended from games for much less that what occurred last night. And to be clear, if it was my own kid who did it, I'd say the same thing. That is not an incident that any player should be involved in and not get disciplined for. Kids already get away with too much. Not holding them accountable for their actions just leads to more issues because they know they can get away with it in the future. Player to player issues are one thing, that was a whole different story.

The beach was 10-19 from the free throw line including missing two free throws that would have put them up by 5. Its a game that someone is going to lose and someone is going to win. If the west kid doesn't hit those two clutch 3's mid to late 4th qtr to get back in the game, then it's easily a 9pt win instead of two.

So your saying a kid should be kicked off the team for rushing towards bystanders? The kid was restrained and its might funny that you leave out the part where the kid from CB from started the whole incident. So before you go saying who should be suspended plz get the whole story. Kids are held accountable but its also jobs of parents, administration, coaches not to over react either. These are young men that you teach and help them learn from their mistakes not throw to the side.
As a matter of fact, I remember a similar incident that happened last year that happened after a Rapp game now that same guy seems to be employed by CB athletics. Pot calling the Kettle black maybe???

So your saying a kid should be kicked off the team for rushing towards bystanders? The kid was restrained and its might funny that you leave out the part where the kid from CB from started the whole incident. So before you go saying who should be suspended plz get the whole story. Kids are held accountable but its also jobs of parents, administration, coaches not to over react either. These are young men that you teach and help them learn from their mistakes not throw to the side.
As a matter of fact, I remember a similar incident that happened last year that happened after a Rapp game now that same guy seems to be employed by CB athletics. Pot calling the Kettle black maybe???
i'm not making judgement on exactly what his discipline should be. But yes, absolutely he should disciplined. And to be clear, he rushed the crowd TWiCE, not only once. If he was restrained, he would have been in the mex twice. I was there, so i don't need to "get" the story. I saw it. And i agree, others should not over react as well. Adults staying calm, is key. But there were no CB players involved in that incident. CB players were in the locker room. Part of being taught is facing the consequences when you make bad decisions. As you mention, they are young MEN. Overlooking it and brushing it under the rug doesn't teach anything. So I'm not disagreeing with you completely. Some of the incident was out of hand on everyone's part. But he should have known better as well. So now that it's happened, it's water under the bridge and learning lesson. Those lessons are in someone else's hands. And for similar incidents, i don't know if i remember the same. And i don't know anything about other incidents or that 'same guy'. So that's out of the context of what i'm referring to...which is just yesterday's game.

i'm not making judgement on exactly what his discipline should be. But yes, absolutely he should disciplined. And to be clear, he rushed the crowd TWiCE, not only once. If he was restrained, he would have been in the mex twice. I was there, so i don't need to "get" the story. I saw it. And i agree, others should not over react as well. Adults staying calm, is key. But there were no CB players involved in that incident. CB players were in the locker room. Part of being taught is facing the consequences when you make bad decisions. As you mention, they are young MEN. Overlooking it and brushing it under the rug doesn't teach anything. So I'm not disagreeing with you completely. Some of the incident was out of hand on everyone's part. But he should have known better as well. So now that it's happened, it's water under the bridge and learning lesson. Those lessons are in someone else's hands. And for similar incidents, i don't know if i remember the same. And i don't know anything about other incidents or that 'same guy'. So that's out of the context of what i'm referring to...which is just yesterday's game.

Sir I was at the game & I saw the what happen. When u have grown man going after a teenager that's a problem. The big boy from Rappahannock was walking across the court when the young man from CB started talking blank to 16 year old kid & the he goes at 16 year old boy so who should be in trouble. So I grab the big boy from Rappahannock along with some other guys & then here comes another grown man from the CB ( number 10s dad) trying to get at big boy from Rappahannock. It's a shame when u got two adults trying to get a kid. Tape doesn't lie. Adults involved shouldn't be allowed at anymore high School games this year.

I was not at the game. I support Northumberland.

1) For CB fans, please stroll down a bit. I and others have already praised the CB turnaround, their great play and the awesome job their coach has done. CB embarrassed my team twice already.

2) The rumors I have heard state that the ugly incident (s) after the game were started by people from Westmoreland specifically the Colonial Beach area. Anyone from Northern Neck would have no problem believing that.

Sir I was at the game & I saw the what happen. When u have grown man going after a teenager that's a problem. The big boy from Rappahannock was walking across the court when the young man from CB started talking blank to 16 year old kid & the he goes at 16 year old boy so who should be in trouble. So I grab the big boy from Rappahannock along with some other guys & then here comes another grown man from the CB ( number 10s dad) trying to get at big boy from Rappahannock. It's a shame when u got two adults trying to get a kid. Tape doesn't lie. Adults involved shouldn't be allowed at anymore high School games this year.
What I saw was several people trying to get at each other and some trying to diffuse the situation among the crowd. But the player did leave the crowd, but then ran back in a second time. So Yes, the whole thing is a shame. But a player should also have some restraint and be able to walk away from the situation. So while there’s fault on both sides, if a player reacted every time someone was taunting or provoking, there would be incidents at every game. It takes two groups of people for a situation like that to happen. Theres more to that story than to say “CB started it”. That’s the other part of the problem when officials let tensions get out of control during the game. Minimize it in the game before it spills over.

2) The rumors I have heard state that the ugly incident (s) after the game were started by people from Westmoreland specifically the Colonial Beach area. Anyone from Northern Neck would have no problem believing that.
That’s a perfect statement...”rumors that I heard”. Glad you can generalize that everyone could believe that. Because the same general rumor can be said about other places in the northern neck. Maybe the rest of the season can be just about basketball and less drama. The officiating could help a lot with that.

I won't give a take on the "incident" since I did not witness it. As for the game, both teams missed lots of shots and free throws. The refs called about 20 fouls on each team. Could they have called more? Certainly, but we would've been there another 30 minutes. I will admit I was surprised to see two officials at the game who I had never seen before. I thought a better crew would have been assigned. Did the refs cost Rappahannock the game or give CB the game? Of course not. The fans got their money's worth and let's hope the rematch is as exciting as this one turned out to be after an awful first half.

Reactions: uvacavs1
That’s a perfect statement...”rumors that I heard”. Glad you can generalize that everyone could believe that. Because the same general rumor can be said about other places in the northern neck. Maybe the rest of the season can be just about basketball and less drama. The officiating could help a lot with that.

Exactly why I prefaced my comments with - "I was not there" and "the rumors I have heard....."

Yes, there are other areas for sure that have certain reputations in various places.

I did indeed make a generalization based on past observations, events, and reasoning. Generalizations sometimes can be offensive to some and are not always true so for that, my apologies.

I am no foe of the Beach - I see you are quite new - I have praised CB and its people in football on many an occasion. I also have had many good connections over the years to the place.

Exactly why I prefaced my comments with - "I was not there" and "the rumors I have heard....."

Yes, there are other areas for sure that have certain reputations in various places.

I did indeed make a generalization based on past observations, events, and reasoning. Generalizations sometimes can be offensive to some and are not always true so for that, my apologies.

I am no foe of the Beach - I see you are quite new - I have praised CB and its people in football on many an occasion. I also have had many good connections over the years to the place.

Ya he is new the JV Basketball Coach for Colonial Beach Lol (sportszone66)

Ya he is new the JV Basketball Coach for Colonial Beach Lol (sportszone66)
That would be another incorrect statement. I’ve been around CB a lot longer than the new JV coach. I actually don’t even know his name. But it sounds like he has some fans given that his name has been referenced a couple times already. Or maybe some are salty that his JV team won also? Interesting he has that big of a fan base though. Maybe I need to watch more JV games and see where all the interest stems from!

No worries. No offense taken. It’s unfortunate the situation got out of hand. And i can definitely agree with some of the points noted. Hopefully the rest of the season will finish on a better tone.

Yeah .... that's pure salt because others have personal vendettas. Why mention him when he wasnt involved in the situation? That ain't salt, that's hate!!! Lol

Hate is saying a kid should be kicked off a team for almost fighting lol
It’s not hate at all. It’s called holding someone accountable for their actions. If it was a player to player encounter, those happen. But when is the last time you saw a player charge into a crowd of bystanders at all, much less twice, trying to engage in a fight? And yes, it very easily could have been a major fight if people weren’t restrained. If it was my own kid, my statement to them would be “you knew better, and now you have to deal with the consequences.” And If someone says he didn’t know better, then what does that say about what he’s being taught. But hey, it’s not my kid and what happens with it is not my decision. My point is that ALL kids get away with too much anymore. And if we want to teach kids to take responsisbitly for their actions, sometimes it takes hard lessons. Minimizing it doesn’t teach anything other than they can do it again next time. Trust me, I made plenty of dumb ‘mistakes’ when I was a kid. And both my butt and me were taught a lesson afterwards. And I deserved it. But we all have our own opinions.

Guess you never seen a fight go down but whatever. What sense does it make to not kick sum1 off a team for fighting but kick them off for trying to fight? lol Game was over and the kid was pushed by a bystander

Guess you never seen a fight go down but whatever. What sense does it make to not kick sum1 off a team for fighting but kick them off for trying to fight? lol Game was over and the kid was pushed by a bystander
Yeah. I played sports. Seen fights. Was involved in fights. All of the above. And I also knew better. And I also never had an altercation with bystanders despite that always being possible when trash talking and other was involved. And if he was pushed as you indicate, what happened the second time when he left the crowd and ran back in again? Like I said, it’s not my kid and it’s someone else’s decision. Looks like other players were getting ejected tonight for ‘staring’ or ‘taunting’...nothing wrong with that either right? If they didn’t put hands on anyone why were they ejected? It’s not a fight?

Absolutely nothing wrong with staring lol Those kids tonight didnt stand over each other or taunt...they just stared. Also an ejection is not kicked off the team and as I stated before, punishment is warranted but not kicked off the team.
So worried about punishment instead of what caused the kid who has never reacted that way or been in a fight before to act the way he did.

Absolutely nothing wrong with staring lol Those kids tonight didnt stand over each other or taunt...they just stared. Also an ejection is not kicked off the team and as I stated before, punishment is warranted but not kicked off the team.
So worried about punishment instead of what caused the kid who has never reacted that way or been in a fight before to act the way he did.
So that’s my whole point. If you get ejected for staring/taunting which is pretty trivial (I agree), how would that incident not be seen as much more severe. They eject them early to try and avoid the blow ups that could follow later, if they don’t kill the issue quickly. Overall, it’s a circular debate. It’ll be whatever they decide. Some will agree. Some won’t.

I’d just like to see the rest of season play out better on all sides, including the officiating. Because part of the high tension is coming from what is being allowed/not allowed among the various teams on given nights. Make the games evenly called, and it’ll all be better win or lose.

I'm sure that Rappahannocks administration will overreact to this incident bc its a black kid. White kids there get benefit of doubt but blacks get over punished. Only school in the NNK that doesnt have any African American Administration hence why the baseball facilities are top notch while the football field has been garbage for 30yrs bc one is fielded by mainly whites and other sports by minorities.
Raider Man you don’t know what you don’t know. Before you bring baseball into the discussion you need to consider this. The baseball facility looks like it does not because of the administration. It looks like it does because of the coaches and the players efforts. Every time the field is used whether it’s a game or practice the field is dressed, raked, drug, etc within an inch of its life. Baseball coaches spend weekends, nights, planning periods, summers, and any other spare moments taking care of the facility. I was involved with the baseball program in one fashion or another for thirty years. I have spent numerous hours working on the baseball fields and I can count on one hand the times I have seen coaches of other sports working on the other facilities at RHS. I do not have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times I have heard other coaches say working on the field is not their job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT