ADVERTISEMENT

Colonial vs. Dominion article in the paper

Central Region Tom

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2001
There was an article in the paper today that I found curious. The gist of it was that the Colonial might have been the best district in the region this season, rather than the Dominion. There wasn't much to the piece---it was essentially a list of good pitchers in the Colonial. However, it was the implied premise that struck me as odd.

There was a suggestion that the Colonial's status as the top district in the region, if true, was a rare interruption of the historical norm. That's not the case at all.

I absolutely agree that the Dominion has probably been the best district since about 2006 or 2007, but, as those dates suggest, this is a fairly recent development. Not only is it recent, but the shift bucked about four decades of tradition.

The Dominion District moved up from AA in 1987. Since 1987, there have been 45 representatives from the Central Region in the state tournament (one went per region prior to 1990, and two thereafter). Here's the breakdown of those 47 teams:

Colonial = 21 (11 champions)
Dominion = 12 (7 champions)
Capital = 7 (5 champions)
Central = 7 (2 champions)

Of the Dominion's totals, four of their seven championships have come in the last five years.

Prior to 1987, the Colonial had won twelve of the previous fourteen regional titles as well.

My point is that I believe the paper is treating the anomaly as the trend, and the trend as the anomaly.
This post was edited on 5/26 10:57 PM by Central Region Tom

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT