ADVERTISEMENT

Comment about 2A Basketball this season

pizzzzza

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
As everyone knows, I'm a die hard fan of this board during basketball season.

I try to contribute as much as I can to keep the board alive, as well as inform those who are not able to keep up with all the teams and scores all the time.

It's probably my favorite board to post on - with the 2A football coming in a close second.

Anyway, I always try to give a positive spin to all the teams on here - not just the ones that I support and follow closely.

It's so easy to look at all the negatives about each team and player - and I, for one, do not like to see a particular team or especially an individual player get 'beat up' on the boards due to one bad game or performance.

I think we all should - after all the action this past week - stop for a minute, take a breath, and look at what we're witnessing this season.

There are so many good things that have happened so far...

Radford - moved up to group 2A and hasn't missed a beat - in fact, still undefeated and gunning for the state title in 2A, after winning 1A last season - and led by the incredible guard Q.

Gate City - yet another outstanding team led by the unbelievable Mac McClung - all time single season scorer in VHSL history - along with Zac Erviin and Bradley Dean, have had the pressure of being the prohibitive favorites in 2A from day 1 - they haven't disappointed thus far.

Graham - a team which despite it's outstanding season, is still searching for respect in the 2A elite - and it looks like they got it last night - will be interesting to see how it plays out the rest of the post-season.

R E Lee - Defending 2A State champs - despite losing 2A player of year Darius George from last seson, still returned Jarvis Vaughan, along with a deep supporting cast, to return to the state tournament - will they have enough to defend their title - we will know in about 2 weeks.

Martinsville - The Dawgs always seem to be in the hunt for the 2A title, even on what some would call a 'down' season - but you can never count them out due to their rich tradition.

Dan River - Always seems to have quality athletes on the team year-in year-out - this year was not any different - another outstanding season - unfortunately in same region with Radford and Martinsville, and they ended up being the odd man out

Central-Woodstock (had Lee on the ropes last night), Goochland (probably best team in school history this season) and Greensville (perennial state participant) all also had very good seasons, as is reflected by being in the state tournament - and their fans will tell you they have as a good chance as anyone else in the post-season to advancing to the state championship.

In other words..... the quality of competition this season is outstanding.

But more importantly - remember this....these are HIGH SCHOOL kids who - little do they do realize at the moment - are enjoying some of the best times of their lives, and when they look back, will have fond memories of what they are experiencing today.

I, for one, feel blessed to be a part of all of this.

Last edited:
Amen brother! Well thought out and beautifully written. Last night at Radford I saw my jv basketball head coach and varsity assistant coach from high school. I'm 60 years old so do the math on how long ago that was. We weren't great but pretty good, couldn't get by Mavahi back in those days either. But I talked to him for a half a hour about the "Good old days" and what you just articulated is so true. We didn't talk about the wins and losses, we talked about good times, the fun we had in practices and so on. We should be careful not to be so critical of these young men and women and also the coaches because this is just high school sports. Should be some of the best times of their lives. Oh and pizzzzza, it had been 43 years since i had seen my coach. I drove back down the mountain to Martinsville reliving alot of good memories of my life in hs athletics. At least the ones I can remember......

Amen brother! Well thought out and beautifully written. Last night at Radford I saw my jv basketball head coach and varsity assistant coach from high school. I'm 60 years old so do the math on how long ago that was. We weren't great but pretty good, couldn't get by Mavahi back in those days either. But I talked to him for a half a hour about the "Good old days" and what you just articulated is so true. We didn't talk about the wins and losses, we talked about good times, the fun we had in practices and so on. We should be careful not to be so critical of these young men and women and also the coaches because this is just high school sports. Should be some of the best times of their lives. Oh and pizzzzza, it had been 43 years since i had seen my coach. I drove back down the mountain to Martinsville reliving alot of good memories of my life in hs athletics. At least the ones I can remember......

Sounds like we have a lot in common.......we went to school at the same time...went through the same type of experiences that were occurring at that time....and now we're older and 'wiser' :) .......or at least older!

Ask my son's, I'm older but don't know a dadgum thing. They tell me all the time that I have "Old timers disease" lol

Reactions: pizzzzza
I'm not gonna be a woman and get all sentimental like those two old geezers lolol, but 2A this year is VERY good. Four-five teams could win a title, and another (DR) likely makes the tourney if they played in Regions A or B. Radford has to be the favorite, but it wouldn't be too shocking to see Graham, a team no one expected to be a legit player, win it all. A great year.

I'm not gonna be a woman and get all sentimental like those two old geezers lolol, but 2A this year is VERY good. Four-five teams could win a title, and another (DR) likely makes the tourney if they played in Regions A or B. Radford has to be the favorite, but it wouldn't be too shocking to see Graham, a team no one expected to be a legit player, win it all. A great year.

LOL, "no one expected to be a legit player." Wrong. I did. I watched the clips of Graham 2 times this season and warned/stated/wrote, openly stated on this board that this was one hel* of a basketball team. Few if any talked them. I even wrote, "man, that Graham team seems to be pretty good" and asked for thoughts, and few would even discuss them. Well, I think people are taking them serious now. The discussion was all Gate City, Radford, and Martinsville and even Dan River. I continued to write that Graham is not just as good, but may actually be better than all of them. I can repeat (maybe the 5th time on this board) that Graham has lost 2 times this season to the same team by 1 point which is a WV AA powerhouse in basketball, and has many state titles to prove it, and will challenge (be in the mix for one) again this season. When you play defense, and you rebound, and you have guards that are very quick and control the ball, it creates problems at the High School level. Graham and Martinsville will be decided by 5 points or less, and again as stated in early January, I think Radford cuts the nets down, but it's not a certainty. Also, warning for everybody....Gate City isn't done yet. If Radford tries up tempo ball with them, Gate City can win. To beat Gate City, you have to REBOUND so they can't get out in transition, and you have to spread the floor with quick guards that can drive and create. That's exactly what Graham did.

One final thing. Lee doesn't care about the West. They have the history to prove that, and many are talking little about them and kind of discounting them as a contender for this season. Well, they ARE a contender. Do not count this bunch out. It's no sweat off of their as*es to win a title. They are very good and well coached and they aren't done yet. Lee is my hope to win the state title by the way. But, I think Radford is a touch better this year.

LOL - don't think I've ever been called an old woman on here!

p.s. age is just a number :)

My point is that - like you said, and like I said, 2A is VERY good this year - and we should appreciate it from a fan's viewpoint.

LOL, "no one expected to be a legit player." Wrong. I did. I watched the clips of Graham 2 times this season and warned/stated/wrote, openly stated on this board that this was one hel* of a basketball team. Few if any talked them. I even wrote, "man, that Graham team seems to be pretty good" and asked for thoughts, and few would even discuss them. Well, I think people are taking them serious now. The discussion was all Gate City, Radford, and Martinsville and even Dan River. I continued to write that Graham is not just as good, but may actually be better than all of them. I can repeat (maybe the 5th time on this board) that Graham has lost 2 times this season to the same team by 1 point which is a WV AA powerhouse in basketball, and has many state titles to prove it, and will challenge (be in the mix for one) again this season. When you play defense, and you rebound, and you have guards that are very quick and control the ball, it creates problems at the High School level. Graham and Martinsville will be decided by 5 points or less, and again as stated in early January, I think Radford cuts the nets down, but it's not a certainty. Also, warning for everybody....Gate City isn't done yet. If Radford tries up tempo ball with them, Gate City can win. To beat Gate City, you have to REBOUND so they can't get out in transition, and you have to spread the floor with quick guards that can drive and create. That's exactly what Graham did.

One final thing. Lee doesn't care about the West. They have the history to prove that, and many are talking little about them and kind of discounting them as a contender for this season. Well, they ARE a contender. Do not count this bunch out. It's no sweat off of their as*es to win a title. They are very good and well coached and they aren't done yet. Lee is my hope to win the state title by the way. But, I think Radford is a touch better this year.

You watched clips of two games and you expect people to take your opinion as gospel? You said Graham was good but you also expected GC to beat them. And don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back so hard.

I would say Radford increases chances to win by keeping pace up tempo. If you watch all these Gate City videos on YouTube, most of the teams they crushed just spectated the highlight-reel plays and dunks. If Mac throws one down, Radford will have the ball to half court in two seconds. I haven’t seen anyone push the ball on GC until Graham did last night. Obviously, whoever wins is going to have to hit shots, but I like Radford’s chances if they play their game and push the tempo.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
You watched clips of two games and you expect people to take your opinion as gospel? You said Graham was good but you also expected GC to beat them. And don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back so hard.

There he is, ole toolshed is back and angry Union lost in football. I told YOU, shed, that Graham was good and you would write on this board how they aren't that great and how unimpressed you were throughout the season. Want me to post it for you? I predicted GC would beat Graham.......by 6 points, much fewer than anyone else. What I did post was.....Graham is a very good team. You disagreed multiple times, now I guess you are on the bandwagon. Now tell everyone again how Union was better than Lee in football, lol. You lost any credibility or respect when you wrote that by the way.

I would say Radford increases chances to win by keeping pace up tempo. If you watch all these Gate City videos on YouTube, most of the teams they crushed just spectated the highlight-reel plays and dunks. If Mac throws one down, Radford will have the ball to half court in two seconds. I haven’t seen anyone push the ball on GC until Graham did last night. Obviously, whoever wins is going to have to hit shots, but I like Radford’s chances if they play their game and push the tempo.
If this Radford team is anything like the 2009 team, tempo is their weapon. In that years championship game against the Darren White led Dan Riverb team, they ran DR to death. I remember a D. White dunk that oohed and awed the crowd. However, before the ball was barely through the net, Radford ran a fast break, hit a three and kept putting it on one of the most athletic teams I have seen.

luctookis .. quit being an azz .. you can articulate without attacking .. you come off as the idiot when you do that

If this Radford team is anything like the 2009 team, tempo is their weapon. In that years championship game against the Darren White led Dan Riverb team, they ran DR to death. I remember a D. White dunk that oohed and awed the crowd. However, before the ball was barely through the net, Radford ran a fast break, hit a three and kept putting it on one of the most athletic teams I have seen.

The 09 team should have been beaten by JR that year, less than ideal coaching when you have one of the best point guards in the state and you don't put the ball in his hands. Not saying anything bad about Radford but they should never have made it to title game. This year's team is better than that team was, hands down. They can run or play half court set both equally effective.

I’d argue that JR was not deep enough that year. If I remember correctly, they only played 5 players. Didn’t JR beat Radford to win the Region but Radford won semi game? Same thing happened on the other side when DR beat Madison in the semi game after loosing the Region championship to the Mointaineers. Either way there were 4 really good teams at VCU. Expecting the same thing this year.

All of this 2009 talk, seems I missed the show in Richmond. I was deployed around tournament time that year. All I know about this Radford team this year, is that they are REAL!!

Last edited:
Yes from Buchanan. They had a really solid squad. Both them and Madison returned everybody for 2010. However, the VHSL changed how classifications were done so they couldn’t play that year. JR. won 2A and Madison won 1A Or maybe it was the other way around.

Yes from Buchanan. They had a really solid squad. Both them and Madison returned everybody for 2010. However, the VHSL changed how classifications were done so they couldn’t play that year. JR. won 2A and Madison won 1A Or maybe it was the other way around.
Yep you are correct. JR beat Dan River to get to the Ship and I recall Altavista playing Madison for the Ship. I remember because Altavista has always played in the smallest possible class.

I’d argue that JR was not deep enough that year. If I remember correctly, they only played 5 players. Didn’t JR beat Radford to win the Region but Radford won semi game? Same thing happened on the other side when DR beat Madison in the semi game after loosing the Region championship to the Mointaineers. Either way there were 4 really good teams at VCU. Expecting the same thing this year.

JR won semi game by 2? Actually JR could go at least 8 that year if memory serves me, 09-10 they only played 5 in championship, they were up 8-9 with not much time, couple minutes, remaining, didn't take care of business and Carter stole the ball from a soph forward on an in bounds play as I recall and broke away and scored a layup to put Radford up. The rest as they say is history. JR beat Radford in regions in 09, 10, and 11. Radford beat JR in state semis in 09 and finals in 11

Last edited:
Are y'all talking about JR from Buchanan?

Ant from 2007-2011 JR from buchanan made a state appearance (at least qtr final) every year. they were very talented and I will honestly say if they had a good coach they could have had a state banner in 09, 10, and 11, instead of just 2010 when they won the Class A div 2. Madison was Class A div 1 winner that year. Talent is very important but can only do so much if the coaching isn't there to utilize that talent. It's the coaches job to prepare the team for the season/games. Poor preparation usually results in failure.

I know Martinsville won in 2006. I remember from 2007--- end of 2010, I was out to sea a lot, needless to say, I missed a lot of football and basketball. It sounds like a lot of great games took place during that time period.

Toolshed, I read none of your post. What you are is someone that loves to argue. I remember you from the other board a few years ago. It's the same with you, ALWAYS in an argument with someone. You are a bully. And I'm the guy that's the cure for a bully. I simply bully the bully. If you wish to discuss it any further, you and I can't meet for a game and we can do a facebook live audience and I will be happy to run my fist completely down your throat. Any questions toolshed? Go back to your board and talk about how Union was the best football team in the state and try to bully someone else.

As for Graham. Told ya they were good, very good. Told ya there was a change against GC. That's a fact. You disagreed. That's also a fact. Now, go argue with someone from Rye Cove. You are useless and all you do is attempt to incite and argue with people. You are the definition of a trouble maker. I'm the fix for a trouble maker.
HAHAHAHSHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHSHAHAH

I can promise two things; one, I won't fight you because violence solves nothing and two, your internet tough guy act may work on here but you don't know me nor what I can do. So in your best interest, never threaten me again punk.

Heard Radford and Gate City sold their allotment of 1000 tickets each in a couple of hours. Only selling 1400 tickets at the door for a total of 3400. Going to be a lot of angry people trying to get in the door.

Heard Radford and Gate City sold their allotment of 1000 tickets each in a couple of hours. Only selling 1400 tickets at the door for a total of 3400. Going to be a lot of angry people trying to get in the door.
Radford may have sold their allotment but Gate City has not as of the time of this post.

Radford has per their Facebook page. The Gate City info could be bad information. Surprised if they haven't, though.

It may have already been mentioned here or on another thread, but the NFHS Network IS broadcasting the Gate City/Radford game tonight for those who can't make it or don't want to risk being one of those turned away at the door.

It is a $10/mo. subscription to watch however.

HAHAHAHSHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHSHAHAH

I can promise two things; one, I won't fight you because violence solves nothing and two, your internet tough guy act may work on here but you don't know me nor what I can do. So in your best interest, never threaten me again punk.

No threat to it. Just a guy calling out a toolshed that knows nothing of Hoops or football. You lost any respect when you wrote that Union was better than Lee, LMAO. What a joke. P.S. I will do with you what I choose, and hopefully Union will be good enough again in football in about 7 years so we can meet up and discuss it personally. It may take 10. Now, go back to your board, argue with Rye Cove and Honaker fans, and try to make that G-man guy like you, and hopefully, the ole faithful from Tazewell County won't continue to consider you a "nodule," but still tolerate you. Maybe they will actually accept you at some point. Until then, do like you do here and keep trying to fit in. Lee was 10-14 points better than Union in football by they way. Another P.S. stop arguing. Every discussion you are in on this board or the other garbage board seems to show you in an argument unless you are punked out by the Tazewell Co bunch. I told you earlier and will again, you aren't on your board anymore. You don't get to bully anyone. You don't get to make sarcastic and smart arse remarks without that response being doubled back at you. Why is that so difficult for you to understand? How many times does it take for you to go through this experience to understand? Be nice and respectful to others and they will be to you including myself. I'm a Bull Islander. I will give you the shirt and coat off my back. Be a smart arse to me and I will run my fist down your throat and take to your coat.

I'm sure it's posted but I don't see it, when does Lee play? Is GC-Radford the only game tonight? Also, if both 1's or 2's win where will the semifinals be played?

I'm sure it's posted but I don't see it, when does Lee play? Is GC-Radford the only game tonight? Also, if both 1's or 2's win where will the semifinals be played?

Lee plays Greensville tonight @ Wilson Memorial HS in Fishersville.

That winner plays the Goochland/Central of Woodstock winner (they play Saturday) in one of the State Semis next week.

Reactions: Buc101
No threat to it. Just a guy calling out a toolshed that knows nothing of Hoops or football. You lost any respect when you wrote that Union was better than Lee, LMAO. What a joke. P.S. I will do with you what I choose, and hopefully Union will be good enough again in football in about 7 years so we can meet up and discuss it personally. It may take 10. Now, go back to your board, argue with Rye Cove and Honaker fans, and try to make that G-man guy like you, and hopefully, the ole faithful from Tazewell County won't continue to consider you a "nodule," but still tolerate you. Maybe they will actually accept you at some point. Until then, do like you do here and keep trying to fit in. Lee was 10-14 points better than Union in football by they way. Another P.S. stop arguing. Every discussion you are in on this board or the other garbage board seems to show you in an argument unless you are punked out by the Tazewell Co bunch. I told you earlier and will again, you aren't on your board anymore. You don't get to bully anyone. You don't get to make sarcastic and smart arse remarks without that response being doubled back at you. Why is that so difficult for you to understand? How many times does it take for you to go through this experience to understand? Be nice and respectful to others and they will be to you including myself. I'm a Bull Islander. I will give you the shirt and coat off my back. Be a smart arse to me and I will run my fist down your throat and take to your coat.

Are you a bull islander or a nottycougar? I’m confused

Are you a bull islander or a nottycougar? I’m confused

It's obviously lucastookis on his 2nd account and used the wrong one. He just wants to verbally assault people with more than 1 account. And winners is no better when he uses the language he does to reply to the guy. And strange too, calling people internet tough guy, and then doing the EXACT thing saying I'll whoop you, no I'll whoop you.

Grow up guys, you are BOTH acting like little children.

God bless

lol yes it was me, created an alt account to threaten myself. Makes perfect sense.

And I'm not threatening anyone, at all. I said violence is dumb and never the answer. I said if I was attacked, I'd defend myself as anyone would.

Fair enough BigWinners and in agreement with you (for once) on the violence issue, but the dude who posted as me........isn't me.

P.S. I might actually agree with you on the Union and Lee thing, but......its something you don't say on a message board. It's unfair to the folks in Staunton. That's why I was fired up, but as to your premise itself, not a huge disagreement there either.

lol yes it was me, created an alt account to threaten myself. Makes perfect sense.

And I'm not threatening anyone, at all. I said violence is dumb and never the answer. I said if I was attacked, I'd defend myself as anyone would.

I never said you threatened buddy. I said you did the same thing, and go back and read, you did. And terrible language.

And yes Lucas, it was you, you aren't fooling me. Read what notty wrote, that person said I told you before, and said the EXACT thing as you.

You guys really need to grow up. You bicker just to bicker.

Even though I dont really care about basketball, it's basketball season. And quite frankly, it doesn't matter who was better between Lee and Union, Appomattox won the champuonship, and Lee and Union both lost to them. They didn't play each other, so since nobody knows, it doesn't matter, and hopefully it will end your senseless arguing, Union and Lee are BOTH 2. They are the EXACT same "good" and if they played 100 times, each would win 50 times with exact same score, just like UNC and Dook

First, I'm tempted at threatening you. But I will hold my tongue Gunz. I absolutely did not post that and someone is playing childish games. I give a rat's butt if you "believe me" or not. I find it interesting you enter the conversation when someone posts as myself. The posted clearly studied my language and writing and is playing BS games.

I have no reason to hide anything Ive ever wrote.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT