ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Varina Blue Devils - another 'ship on Route 5 !!!!!!!!!!!

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002
FNglam6X0AsWpe0

Varina was fun to watch today. Definitely a big difference between the east and the west in Class 4 this year-I think King's Fork was far and away the second best team in the class. Congrats to the Blue Devils!

Reactions: springer76
People are running to the record books but this maybe the first time a VHSL school has won football and basketball 'ship in the same year!
FNhM-jKXIAQXeZW

Last edited:
Varina was fun to watch today. Definitely a big difference between the east and the west in Class 4 this year-I think King's Fork was far and away the second best team in the class. Congrats to the Blue Devils!
I will agree with this. The better teams in our area are in lower classifications. Cave Spring, Northside and Radford. None of them would beat Varina this yr. Cave Spring plays Petersburg tonight. Should be a good game.

Last edited:
Reactions: blackknight_pride
People are running to the record books but this maybe the first time a VHSL school has won football and basketball 'ship in the same year!
FNhM-jKXIAQXeZW
I believe Class 1 Altavista did it twice during the 2013 & 2014 school years. They won back to back football championships along with also 3 peating as basketball champs during those years. Their star player in both sports was Juan Thornhill who went to UVA and was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs as a DB where he won a Super Bowl.

Last edited:
Reactions: SFUWO
Has anyone won football, basketball, and baseball in the same school year?
That's a good question. I don't think it's ever happened. Some schools have had a group of great athletes the excell in football and basketball. Then they run track for the most part. Salem won football and baseball during the 17-18 school yr but were not anywhere close in basketball that yr.

Last edited:
I will agree with this. The better teams in our area are in lower classifications. Cave Spring, North Side and Radford. None of them would beat Varina this yr. Cave Spring plays Petersburg tonight. Should be a good game.
Cave Spring could beat Varina. I’ve been at all the games (in-person) and CS was by far the most impressive team I’ve seen all playoffs. PS, I saw Varina beat 28-0 King’s Fork on Monday.

Reactions: SFUWO
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT