Lafayette

Pretenders:
Liberty
Dominion
Deep Creek
William Byrd
Kettle Run
Riverside

Dark Horses (could be pretenders, contenders, or almost contenders at any point):
Blacksburg
Lake Taylor
Huguenot
Heritage (Leesburg)
Jefferson Forest

Wannabes (good teams, but not great)
Liberty Christian
Pulaski County
Caroline
Hanover
Courtland

The Bottom: (high expectations and low performances):
Heritage (Newport News)
Grafton
King George
Chancellor
Powhatan

Reactions: Tom Potter
Contenders:
Dinwiddie
Sherando
Salem
Monacan
Louisa
Eastern View

Almost Contenders:
Woodgrove
Millbrook
Amherst
Patrick Henry
EC Glass
George Washington
Warhill
Charlottesville
Smithfield
King's Fork
Lafayette

Pretenders:
Liberty
Dominion
Deep Creek
William Byrd
Kettle Run
Riverside

Dark Horses (could be pretenders, contenders, or almost contenders at any point):
Blacksburg
Lake Taylor
Huguenot
Heritage (Leesburg)
Jefferson Forest

Liberty Christian
Pulaski County
Caroline
Hanover
Courtland

Heritage (Newport News)
Grafton
King George
Chancellor
Powhatan
This is funny!!! I'd remove Sherando, Louisa, and EV from the contenders until they play a quality opponent. Salem, Monacan, Dinwiddie appear to be the most legit contenders in 4A.

Last edited:
This is funny!!! I'd remove Sherando, Louisa, and EV from the contenders until they play a quality opponent. Salem, Monacan, Dinwiddie appear to be the most legit contenders in 4A.
I respect your opinion OC Boy, but I have to include EV and Louisa in this discussion.

I agree that we don't know what EV will do when faced with adversity, but they have the talent and coaching to get it done.

Louisa, has the "it" factor in senior leadership with past playoff failure to reflect on, a dynamic defensive playmaker in Smith and most importantly a team goal of sending coach Fisher out on top. Is this enough? I am not sure, but I wouldn't overlook them.

Someone is coming out of Region A and although no one has stepped out I still believe in Kings Fork, LT, and Lafayette. In the playoffs defense is a big factor and Lafayette fits the bill. Can the Rams stop the offensive machines of Kings Fork and LT? I have no clue, but I know many of us have waited for the LT vs. Lafayette matchup for years. Might just bring out an old fashioned nasty debate between posters Devils and Lafayette.

I respect your opinion OC Boy, but I have to include EV and Louisa in this discussion.

I agree that we don't know what EV will do when faced with adversity, but they have the talent and coaching to get it done.

Louisa, has the "it" factor in senior leadership with past playoff failure to reflect on, a dynamic defensive playmaker in Smith and most importantly a team goal of sending coach Fisher out on top. Is this enough? I am not sure, but I wouldn't overlook them.

Someone is coming out of Region A and although no one has stepped out I still believe in Kings Fork, LT, and Lafayette. In the playoffs defense is a big factor and Lafayette fits the bill. Can the Rams stop the offensive machines of Kings Fork and LT? I have no clue, but I know many of us have waited for the LT vs. Lafayette matchup for years. Might just bring out an old fashioned nasty debate between posters Devils and Lafayette.

Guys interesting that no-one is mentioning Deep Creek as a contender. They are undefeated in dominant fashion and they have KF, OS, on the schedule still and they crushed Western branch. Their district is tough. If they come out 9-1 or 8-2 then let me be the first to tell you they are the real deal. They converted me over to a believer last week.

I need to see LT play a good game before they are on my contender list. I may pick them to lose to Norview this week.

@OCBoy is see where you are coming from but D'Ago hunter is incredible and hard to stop. Louisa is loaded they will be undefeated

I completely get what your saying I'm just saying until they have proved something then I wouldn't consider any a contender. Hatfield is one of the best coaches in the state and they have play makers so we shall see

Guys interesting that no-one is mentioning Deep Creek as a contender. They are undefeated in dominant fashion and they have KF, OS, on the schedule still and they crushed Western branch. Their district is tough. If they come out 9-1 or 8-2 then let me be the first to tell you they are the real deal. They converted me over to a believer last week.

I need to see LT play a good game before they are on my contender list. I may pick them to lose to Norview this week.

@OCBoy is see where you are coming from but D'Ago hunter is incredible and hard to stop. Louisa is loaded they will be undefeated
I'm not too sure Louisa goes undefeated as well we shall see

Reactions: Senex and mbonape1
I completely get what your saying I'm just saying until they have proved something then I wouldn't consider any a contender. Hatfield is one of the best coaches in the state and they have play makers so we shall see
In the State? Hasn't ever been to a state game. Now we are reaching , lots of state champion coaches in this state. Takes a lot to be one of the best. I agree he is a good coach.

I'm not too sure Louisa goes undefeated as well we shall see

I'm excited to see how C'ville does this weekend and we find out if there is a 3rd horse in this Jefferson race... I think ultimately Louisa is superior in the Jefferson. What does that mean compared to Richmond and 757 teams? I'm not sure yet.

Reactions: OCBoy
S
Contenders:
Dinwiddie
Sherando
Salem
Monacan
Louisa
Eastern View

Almost Contenders:
Woodgrove
Millbrook
Amherst
Patrick Henry
EC Glass
George Washington
Warhill
Charlottesville
Smithfield
King's Fork
Lafayette

Pretenders:
Liberty
Dominion
Deep Creek
William Byrd
Kettle Run
Riverside

Blacksburg
Lake Taylor
Huguenot
Heritage (Leesburg)
Jefferson Forest

Liberty Christian
Pulaski County
Caroline
Hanover
Courtland

Heritage (Newport News)
Grafton
King George
Chancellor
Powhatan[/QUOTE
Can't say I disagree , except the line between almost contenders and contenders is very thin. You rank Louisa above Charlottesville? But you work at Charlottesville right?

Your credit is good with me OC, I agree he is a very good coach, but he needs a D coordinator, to help him out.

??? Did the cyclones not show defense last year or so far this year? I think coach Hat may have found all the right pieces but only time will tell.

Last year they beat Chancellor twice, who had a very explosive offense, beat sherando who had a good offense, held Lafayette to 7 points in the first half last year-then fell apart in the second half.

This year they held an orange county team to 7 points that has scored 40 in their other two games.

As i said time will tell....

In the State? Hasn't ever been to a state game. Now we are reaching , lots of state champion coaches in this state. Takes a lot to be one of the best. I agree he is a good coach.
Just because you've won or been in a state title game doesn't mean you're a great coach. There are several state-game coaches I wouldn't want coaching my team.

??? Did the cyclones not show defense last year or so far this year? I think coach Hat may have found all the right pieces but only time will tell.

Last year they beat Chancellor twice, who had a very explosive offense, beat sherando who had a good offense, held Lafayette to 7 points in the first half last year-then fell apart in the second half.

This year they held an orange county team to 7 points that has scored 40 in their other two games.

It's all about match-ups (and mistakes). That EV/Lafayette game last year could have been a lot different if not for a couple silly mistakes. Only takes one or two plays to totally turn a game.

It's all about match-ups (and mistakes). That EV/Lafayette game last year could have been a lot different if not for a couple silly mistakes. Only takes one or two plays to totally turn a game.

I dont disagree with your last statement, but there are always "ifs" in every game. Fans just need to accept a loss and move on. Can you question what your team could have done better. Sure, but that doesn't necessarily change an outcome.

Example: Although Dinwiddies loss in the final was a tough pill to swallow I offer no excuses. Salem virtually played perfect football and beat us. This year they had several turnovers and we capatilized. No shoulda, coulda, woulda's..... Thats what happens when two good teams play. One does what it takes to win or better yet, the winner was a better team on that day.

Just like Louisa, EV should have learned from their past playoff losses, use as a motivator and prepared themselves for this seasons gauntlet.

William Byrd is the biggest pretender in my eyes....ranked #5 in 4a? First 7 games on schedule combined team record of 3-23 currently. In my eyes they can end 9-1 or 8-2 and be the worst playoff team in 4a region D. Having Basham will give them a chance but top to bottom just not that good. Contenders are Louisa, Dinwiddie and Salem not really sold on Sherando but they have a really good team.

William Byrd is the biggest pretender in my eyes....ranked #5 in 4a? First 7 games on schedule combined team record of 3-23 currently. In my eyes they can end 9-1 or 8-2 and be the worst playoff team in 4a region D. Having Basham will give them a chance but top to bottom just not that good. Contenders are Louisa, Dinwiddie and Salem not really sold on Sherando but they have a really good team.

Who ranked William Byrd #5 in class 4? They arent in the top ten on the preps poll.
Heck, everybody plays a few duds. Besides, teams schedule years in advance. They have no idea how good a team will be. Are they a contender in region d? Maybe, they always play Salem tough and yes, Basham is the real deal.

I realize its your opinion, but im not sure if you really know class 4 football or not. Please enlighten me and tell me why you have only 3 contenders. Of the three you listed two play in the same region.

First point, a bad coach can win a championship and a great coach can never win a championship. State titles definitely helps with the case but is not the deciding factor. Hatfield always has competitive teams year in and year out and make decent runs into the playoffs. That is hard to do for close to 10 years straight. Prime example is the battlefield district this year: Courtland, JM, and chancellor are all struggling to get wins. Could not tell you when the last time all 3 of those teams have been this down. EV won't have a test until the playoffs but nothing ev can do about being in a weak district. I am more worried about the offense this year producing than the defense being able to make stops come playoff time. High school playoffs is all about the draws and the match-ups

Thats cool Pioneer. Just as I expected. Idle chatter and taking shots at a team (William Byrd) without provocation or substance. Same principle you use on the class 3 board.

Reactions: Kimosabe5
Have at it. You have every right to express your opinion. Thats what this forum is for.

I believe Deep Creek is a contender in the East. They are fast and athletic and have a star player in Damion Everette that can takeover the game. The Indian River game will be a must see game.

As I remember those "mistakes" were the result of a solid defense.
Absolutely solid defense by Lafayette. I'm not even saying EV should've/could've won....but it definitely should have been closer. No need to throw anyone under the bus at this point. Good win by LAF

Contenders:
Dinwiddie
Sherando
Salem
Monacan
Louisa
Eastern View

Almost Contenders:
Woodgrove
Millbrook
Amherst
Patrick Henry
EC Glass
George Washington
Warhill
Charlottesville
Smithfield
King's Fork
Lafayette

Pretenders:
Liberty
Dominion
Deep Creek
William Byrd
Kettle Run
Riverside

Blacksburg
Lake Taylor
Huguenot
Heritage (Leesburg)
Jefferson Forest

Liberty Christian
Pulaski County
Caroline
Hanover
Courtland

Heritage (Newport News)
Grafton
King George
Chancellor
Powhatan
Back to these lists.....I would think most people would take Lake Taylor and/or Blacksburg against any of the teams in the Pretenders list.

First point, a bad coach can win a championship and a great coach can never win a championship. State titles definitely helps with the case but is not the deciding factor. Hatfield always has competitive teams year in and year out and make decent runs into the playoffs. That is hard to do for close to 10 years straight. Prime example is the battlefield district this year: Courtland, JM, and chancellor are all struggling to get wins. Could not tell you when the last time all 3 of those teams have been this down. EV won't have a test until the playoffs but nothing ev can do about being in a weak district. I am more worried about the offense this year producing than the defense being able to make stops come playoff time. High school playoffs is all about the draws and the match-ups
EV could play a tougher out of district schedule, one option

sherando didn't have a explosive offense last year , they started like 7 sophomores, including the QB, RB, and FB. EV defense has improved over the last two years.
I would still make a large wager they would beat Kettle Run or Riverside
i would agree

EV could play a tougher out of district schedule, one option

sherando didn't have a explosive offense last year , they started like 7 sophomores, including the QB, RB, and FB. EV defense has improved over the last two years.

i would agree
I’m sure they could get better teams but it’s easier said than done scheduling

I’m sure they could get better teams but it’s easier said than done scheduling
Yeah it's easier said then done.. EV is within an hour of all the stafford and prince William schools as well as Albemarle, Riverbend, and Massaponax. But I would think it's those schools not wanting to play them. If they beat a 4A team they aren't really getting anything out of it and if that 4A team happens to beat a 5 or 6 A team they lose power points. So I'd say it's more the 5/6 A teams not wanting to play down rather than them playing up. I do think Albemarle and Riverbend could be added with its close proximity. I believe Riverbend is the closest 6A school to EV

Reactions: Cpep_greatest
I think with the powers that be changing districts around every 2 years makes it tough to schedule games. EV has to play Culpeper each year. Orange, Turner Ashby, and Brentsville were all playoff teams last year but pretty much blow this year.

Every team has that situation, it's not the district games, it's the out of district games that you can try and help your schedule with.

Every team has that situation, it's not the district games, it's the out of district games that you can try and help your schedule with.
Yes but I think it affects out of district scheduling too. I would like to see EV and Louisa be a yearly game.

The problem is a lot of schools already have their little group of out of district games and when the new season cycle comes around no one wants to change out their little group of schools. If it was as easy as let’s play then I think it would be a different story

Yes but I think it affects out of district scheduling too. I would like to see EV and Louisa be a yearly game.
Louisa might go back to being dormant after Fischer leaves. Only time Louisa has been good is when he is the coach. Hopefully Louisa will hire a quality coach that has a track record. Having Louisa and Liberty on the schedule yearly would be nice. Even Sherando. They were at least scrimmaging the past few years when they didn't play in the regular season

Reactions: blackknight_pride
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT