ADVERTISEMENT

Contenders VS Pretenders

Martinsburg would beat Danville soundly. The Bulldogs are loaded with players, they have 30 kids that can play without losing much talent. Coach Walker is one hell of a coach. I would say in most years they would be in top 4 in states on the 4A level in Virginia...Danville might have a few kids better than Martinsburg's best kid but they don't have the depth or the coaching.
Can’t believe I am saying this , you are right.

Also how can you gauge how good Martinsburg would be when they’re playing teams on the same level as Carroll County and Fluvanna week in and week out?
Well that’s incorrect also, they have to beat some really quality opponents in WV playoffs , Morgantown , Charleston , Huntington, spring valley.Etc... I agree West Virginia as a whole is not a good football state, but there about 5 to 10 teams in triple AAA that would win a lot of games in Virginia 4A.

Wrong, first off they have 1250 students so they wouldn’t be playing some of those teams you mentioned and most of D-4 would be losing to Westfield , Oscar smith and highland springs . You are not comparing like teams. Listen like I said , schedule them, they are always looking for games , and they will travel. They are not always going to be the D-4 champ in Virginia I agree , but they are not a 6-4 or 7-3 team in Virginia except on maybe a extreme down year. There are a lot of other teams schedule that could be under more scrutiny than Sherando’s , they play who they can get with a hours drive. Frederick county is not going to let them go far from home. Just how they are
Nobody’s questioning Sherando’s schedule. Only a few teams can get a really good OOD schedule. We’re more or less questioning Martinsburg. I thought it was funny that my man said that Martinsburg’s 2nd unit would beat most 4a schools.

They have also beaten some quality Virginia teams like briar woods , Loudoun Valley , I would have to research other teams , but they have played Tuscarora , etc.... teams much larger enrollment than them.

Nobody’s questioning Sherando’s schedule. Only a few teams can get a really good OOD schedule. We’re more or less questioning Martinsburg. I thought it was funny that my man said that Martinsburg’s 2nd unit would beat most 4a schools.
Actually he is correct, Martinsburg second unit the past couple of years would beat at least 5 out of ten of Sherandos varsity opponents . In fact , they might just have a better JV team than varsity , they would James wood, possibly Handley , Broadway , Jefferson , skyline , Fluvanna , culpepper, I could keep going but it useless.

We’re not taking about Danville. We’re talking about Martinsburg. Danville has never played Martinsburg and never will. I seen Martinsburg play PH back in 2012 and wasn’t impressed. They were supposed to be this and that. They won the state championship that year. They blew everybody out that year including Sherando. Beat an imploded PH team (21-10 I think it was) that was beat up from GW (which defeated PH a week prior).
Martinsburg will play anybody. They play a team from Philadelphia this year and yes they will travel. I know they're much better than what you think.

Reactions: Shruikan
Take the old mans word for it , I been around high school football almost 40 years in Virginia , one of the last teams you want to roll up on is Martinsburg . They haven’t lost a home game in like 6 or 7 years.

Reactions: VAn8tive
Martinsburg would beat Danville soundly. The Bulldogs are loaded with players, they have 30 kids that can play without losing much talent. Coach Walker is one hell of a coach. I would say in most years they would be in top 4 in states on the 4A level in Virginia...Danville might have a few kids better than Martinsburg's best kid but they don't have the depth or the coaching.
Yeah they might beat Danville, IL or Danville, CA teams but not Danville,Va!!!! I hope Sherando makes it as far as you guys are hyping them to be!!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Yeah they might beat Danville, IL or Danville, CA teams but not Danville,Va!!!! I hope Sherando makes it as far as you guys are hyping them to be!!
Nobody is hyping Sherando , haven’t seen anyone hype them , especially “you guys” . As you stated . Sherando will be good as they always are , I repeat - sherando is ALWAYS good. They are a quality program. They will do well and as expected they will be right there at the end of the season fighting to win games in the playoffs like everyone else.

Reactions: Shruikan
Well Danville wouldn’t have any interest in playing them. We’ll play Amherst, Dinwiddie, Salem, Glass and Heritage. Quality programs.
Yeh you wouldn’t have any interest because they would beat the last 5 GW teams I know and everyone knows . Fact. Martinsburg plays defense , and not just defense , they are super physical like Highland Springs except they have huge linemen that execute like the Salem Mules . in fact they beat Highland Springs in 7on 7last year in Richmond for what it’s worth. ...
keep throwing out teams Martinsburg won’t play, they will play them . Nobody wants to lose to them.

Some way it ALWAYS comes back to GW. We take that as a compliment. GW plays the schedule they can get and many teams won't play us . But since @hamspear knows so much and want to take it to that level let's take a look at GW's past opponents. We were 3a until 2013, Division 6 and we played the big boys and had the players to do it. Sherando has never nor will ever be in the same breath as a GW or Salem or EC Glass or even LCA (they have championships lol)..Ham go educate yourself.

http://www.gwfootball.com/gallery.htm
Take a look at what we've accomplished and look at what Sherando has done.,.... *crickets

GW was a powerhouse back in the 80s and 90s and we had some good teams in the 2000s..DIVISION 6 ball. We've lost some of our luster but GUESS WHAT? Colleges still line up for our guys, we put a competitive product on the field every year and we're still winning ball games.

GW is doing fine, don't have to keep bringing us up like we aren't/haven't making noise. Insecurity is an ugly trait.

Last edited:
There is nothing to argue about, I don’t have a problem with GW, you were trying to proclaim Martinsburg as weak and over rated . Your theory doesn’t stand up . The facts speak for themselves. Just look at last year. I really hope GW has a good year , wish you the best.

There is nothing to argue about, I don’t have a problem with GW, you were trying to proclaim Martinsburg as weak and over rated . Your theory doesn’t stand up . The facts speak for themselves. Just look at last year. I really hope GW has a good year , wish you the best.
You and your posse brought GW up. The discussion was about Martinsburg. GW has nothing to do with anything. You that insecure about another football program then you gotta take it easy brother. It’s not that serious.

They are overrated (Martinsburg) and GL to your Sherando Warriors this upcoming season!!!

I don’t have a posse’ whatever that is. And I am not sure what about my post sounds insecure , but I am ok with it .
You’re insecure because you threw another team that has nothing to do with the discussion. GW has played a weak schedule since 2013. Okay we get that. A lot of schools we used to play (Dale, Varina, Garfield, Woodbridge, Battlefield) won’t play us because we’re 4a and they get nothing out of playing us when they can play 5a and 6a schools.

But.... That has nothing to do with Martinsburg. Like 1morehokie said, them being so good is a “cop out” if Sherando loses and a “we’re the team to beat” if you win. In actuality, Martinsburg are not what you claim them to be.
1. They play inferior competition
2. Their only real measuring stick is Sherando (who actually plays VA teams).
3. Their opponents last year won an average of 4.7 games. You can’t make a judgement that their second unit would beat most 4a schools. That’s asisine. They barely beat you all and we all know what happened against Salem.

Reactions: Lewis918777
You’re insecure because you threw another team that has nothing to do with the discussion. GW has played a weak schedule since 2013. Okay we get that. A lot of schools we used to play (Dale, Varina, Garfield, Woodbridge, Battlefield) won’t play us because we’re 4a and they get nothing out of playing us when they can play 5a and 6a schools. But.... That has nothing to do with Martinsburg. Like 1morehokie said, them being so good is a cop out if Sherando loses and a “we’re the team to beat” if you win. In actuality, they’re not what they are claimed to be.
3. Their opponents last year won an average of 4.7 games.
Martinsburg has a weak district schedule like everyone else, lots of teams in everyone’s district can be weak on a given year. One rule of thumb I always try to stick by is never bad mouth a team I haven’t played or seen. It’s like we beat Salem in 2013 , they whipped are ass last year . But I am not going to talk about the teams they play and call them weak or a excuse for be8ng bad or good. So when you represent a team( GW) , and you are bad mouthing a team we play and say they are not quality and not as good as represented , then I say prove it . And the proof is in comparison. GW squeezed by LCA last year , and Martinsburg demolished them. So that comparison being in place , says to me that you don’t know Martinsburg enough to be making judgement . Especially making judgement on Sherando schedule when we were in the semis last year with a young team, couple of years before made it to the championship game. Lots of teams in Virginia would want to have the program Sherando has in place right now . Our schedule is fine , our team is fine , and if you and us make it to to late November you will see that we represent a quality program on the field . We don’t make excuses for playing Martinsburg , they are a very good team , you don’t believe it , schedule em . That’s all I am saying.im done .

Maybe because this is a message board where people discuss sports and give their opinions?

No issue with that, but why is it that people can Express those feelings on certain things? How often have you taken offense or posted like it for someone saying something about your teams.

I couldn't care less about Martinsburg or whoever else, but blasting teams or someone because they have a different opinion and then acting upset for it happening to you is narrow minded.

You’re insecure because you threw another team that has nothing to do with the discussion. GW has played a weak schedule since 2013. Okay we get that. A lot of schools we used to play (Dale, Varina, Garfield, Woodbridge, Battlefield) won’t play us because we’re 4a and they get nothing out of playing us when they can play 5a and 6a schools.

But.... That has nothing to do with Martinsburg. Like 1morehokie said, them being so good is a “cop out” if Sherando loses and a “we’re the team to beat” if you win. In actuality, Martinsburg are not what you claim them to be.
3. Their opponents last year won an average of 4.7 games. You can’t make a judgement that their second unit would beat most 4a schools. That’s asisine. They barely beat you all and we all know what happened against Salem.
Facts!!!!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Martinsburg has a weak district schedule like everyone else, lots of teams in everyone’s district can be weak on a given year. One rule of thumb I always try to stick by is never bad mouth a team I haven’t played or seen. It’s like we beat Salem in 2013 , they whipped are ass last year . But I am not going to talk about the teams they play and call them weak or a excuse for be8ng bad or good. So when you represent a team( GW) , and you are bad mouthing a team we play and say they are not quality and not as good as represented , then I say prove it . And the proof is in comparison. GW squeezed by LCA last year , and Martinsburg demolished them. So that comparison being in place , says to me that you don’t know Martinsburg enough to be making judgement . Especially making judgement on Sherando schedule when we were in the semis last year with a young team, couple of years before made it to the championship game. Lots of teams in Virginia would want to have the program Sherando has in place right now . Our schedule is fine , our team is fine , and if you and us make it to to late November you will see that we represent a quality program on the field . We don’t make excuses for playing Martinsburg , they are a very good team , you don’t believe it , schedule em . That’s all I am saying.im done .
1. Fact is I don’t represent GW. I’m an advocate for all the schools in my area, I just happen to post more stuff about GW because I know more about what they bring back then a Dan River, Gretna or Magna Vista.. I’m not being disrespectful nor am I causing disruption. I’m free to post my opinion.
2. There’s no proof. All of this hooblah is the same subjective talk like when I spoke on NC vs. VA football.
3. What Sherando has holds no merit on my beliefs of what will occur that second Saturday in December. I’m sure you’ll say the same about my “team” but like me, you have that right.
4. “Martinsburg plays defense , and not just defense , they are super physical like Highland Springs except they have huge linementhat execute like the Salem Mules . in fact they beat Highland Springs in 7on 7last year in Richmond for what it’s worth.“ .................

PLEASE!! Ham go somewhere with that. If they were that good y’all would’ve gotten blown out. Y’all had absolutely no team speed and it showed against Salem. Salem beat Sherando like rag dolls and Highland Springs would’ve beaten Sherando and Martinsburg way worse than Salem did..Believe me.

7on 7? Ham that means nothing! Springs returned like 4 starters out of 22 last year. If they beat Springs’s A team then they beat practically a JV team. That still means nothing.

Can you even construct a sent
1. Fact is I don’t represent GW. I’m an advocate for all the schools in my area, I just happen to post more stuff about GW because I know more about what they bring back then a Dan River, Gretna or Magna Vista.. I’m not being disrespectful nor am I causing disruption. I’m free to post my opinion.
2. There’s no proof. All of this hooblah is the same subjective talk like when I spoke on NC vs. VA football.
3. What Sherando has holds no merit on my beliefs of what will occur that second Saturday in December. I’m sure you’ll say the same about my “team” but like me, you have that right.
4. “Martinsburg plays defense , and not just defense , they are super physical like Highland Springs except they have huge linementhat execute like the Salem Mules . in fact they beat Highland Springs in 7on 7last year in Richmond for what it’s worth.“ .................

PLEASE!! Ham go somewhere with that. If they were that good y’all would’ve gotten blown out. Y’all had absolutely no team speed and it showed against Salem. Salem beat Sherando like rag dolls and Highland Springs would’ve beaten Sherando and Martinsburg way worse than Salem did..Believe me.

7on 7? Ham that means nothing! Springs returned like 4 starters out of 22 last year. If they beat Springs’s A team then they beat practically a JV team. That still means nothing.
salem also beat your boy Hoosfan team the same way , Salem was just that much better than everyone. And they had a special Back . We got whooped and and so did everyone else . And we have way way more team speed than you think , don’t know who started that idea. More team speed than the team we sent to champ game in 2013 . Do you even read what I am saying ? Regarding Highland Springs ? I said “ for what it’s worth”, and No I disagree , Highland Springs wouldn’t whip Salem last year . I don’t even know why you are so upset? You try and state a case why a team you nothing about is weak , and a team they play is weaker, meanwhile the team you are touting to be something to be wreckoned with this year , couldn’t co e within 40 points of them. Best we just end this conversation. I know you are a good guy , I won’t bash your team or schedule , you don’t likewise. How’s that?

No issue with that, but why is it that people can Express those feelings on certain things? How often have you taken offense or posted like it for someone saying something about your teams.

I couldn't care less about Martinsburg or whoever else, but blasting teams or someone because they have a different opinion and then acting upset for it happening to you is narrow minded.
First and foremost, this is a hobby. None of this is going to pay my bills at the end of the month nor will it help my receive my degree in May. I can’t tell you how to read me, but you don’t know me nor can you decipher me through a message board. We’re having a respectful conversation. Nothing more than what Stephen A and Max does everyday.

Can you even construct a sent

salem also beat your boy Hoosfan team the same way , Salem was just that much better than everyone. And they had a special Back . We got whooped and and so did everyone else . And we have way way more team speed than you think , don’t know who started that idea. More team speed than the team we sent to champ game in 2013 . Do you even read what I am saying ? Regarding Highland Springs ? I said “ for what it’s worth”, and No I disagree , Highland Springs wouldn’t whip Salem last year . I don’t even know why you are so upset? You try and state a case why a team you nothing about is weak , and a team they play is weaker, meanwhile the team you are touting to be something to be wreckoned with this year , couldn’t co e within 40 points of them. Best we just end this conversation. I know you are a good guy , I won’t bash your team or schedule , you don’t likewise. How’s that?
1. I never said HS would whip Salem. I personally think Salem would’ve beaten HS soundly. They were way more disciplined. As I said, HS would’ve beaten SHERANDO and Martinsburg worst than Salem did because they were waaaay faster than both teams and HS would’ve ran the score up for the hell of it.
2. Salem vs. LOUISA and Salem vs Sherando isn’t even a comparison. Salem tacked on 2 late TDs and the game was in striking distant until the 3:30 mark of the 4th. Sherando never had a chance.
3. I never claimed “my team” to be the team to be reckoned with (I did put them in the pretender category right???? But yeah okay Ham). I do promote individual players up for GW but I will do the same for Louisa, Dinwiddie, Salem, Glass, ..Heck I’ve given your boys a shout out. I just do it more for GW because that’s the school I’m more familiar with. That’s the educator in me and I’m happy to see young men being constructive.
4. I’m not bad mouthing. I’m just calling it the way I see it.
Dang I forgot 5..How can you compare a team that barely beat you (Martinsburg) to a team that beat you by running clock (Salem) and a team that would’ve beaten you by 60 (HS) lol!?? Come on Hammy!

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
First and foremost, this is a hobby. None of this is going to pay my bills at the end of the month nor will it help my receive my degree in May. I can’t tell you how to read me, but you don’t know me nor can you decipher me through a message board. We’re having a respectful conversation. Nothing more than what Stephen A and Max does everyday.

Well one difference, they do get paid for it. But you obviously are missing my point. Its certainly not my thing to talk bad about people or teams, but it's the fact that when someone says something about your team (not singling you out DSH) then you are quick to defend. Nothing wrong with that, that is your team and you should feel that way. But then you do it for another team and cant understand the blowback.

Just like when someone brought GW into the conversation and said this wasnt about them. Well unless I just cant comprehend things (which is VERY possible), this thread is more about GW than Martinsburg since it is about contenders and pretenders in 4a in Virginia.

Yes this is a public thread and it is what it is for, and I have seen you mention before about building people up instead of tearing them down. There is WAY more talking bad about teams than good on here. And you almost never see people talk up a team that isn't their own or someone they play. Most of that is because it is hard to talk a team you haven't seen, but it sure doesnt matter for talking down for one.

And it is certainly your opinion and you have a right to it, but I will simply ask 1 question for one of your posts. You said you saw them in a game is some year and weren't impressed. Well if I saw the Salem/GW game or 1st Salem/Blacksburg game, would that be a good barometer for them for their entire program?

Hamspear is right. Schedule them! Martinsburg is really really good every year.

Take the old mans word for it , I been around high school football almost 40 years in Virginia
WHO CARES? It could be 60 years and you'd still post the same ignorant, immature posts as if you've only been around it for 2 years and don't know any better. Always posting scores of past games and ignoring the actual context of those games, even though you know the context. If it doesn't fit your narrative, just ignore the context of games. Just like when Briar Woods played at Martinsburg in 2010, BW played their worst game possible in the rain and mud. I even remember YOU talking about that, maybe you were even at that game, but amnesia has kicked in for you now. The final score was 8-7, it's not like the game wasn't close. BW still dominated that game on the stats sheet, and didn't even start to hit their peak until 2011.

Whoops, I got distracted for a second. Just saw Malik Bell truck Dylan Rivers again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Plus Sherando had every opportunity to beat Martinsburg the last two times, and blew it. Every time it seemed as if Sherando would get going and put Martinsburg away, they gave up a big play. That shows more about Sherando than Martinsburg. I was following the play-by-plays on Twitter and pulling for Sherando.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rev_Real
Lol they are quality programs , but Danville historically hasn’t had a tough schedule . Good luck this season.
And you just keep talking out of the side of your neck without knowing what you're talking about lol...

Since my occupation requires me finding people resources when they need it, here's a nice resource for you...
http://www.gwfootball.com/results.htm since HISTORICALLY they don't play anyone.

Think you should be worrying if Sherando actually does make the big game, they don't get blown out (Amherst x2, Dinwiddie, Salem)......................

All you have to do is schedule them, they love out of state games. Don’t take my word for it.
Nobody is going to schedule them. Why drive 5 hours to play a ball game when you can drive 1-2 hours and play quality opponents. You know how many dominant programs are in an hours drive of Danville and Louisa...Well Louisa is an hour from Richmond and Fredericksburg. We have the Seminole schools, 4 powerhouses in NC plus many other programs ( a team like Reidsville (16 min drive from Danville), Greensboro Dudley (30 min), Page (35 min), West Forsyth (60 min), Durham Hillside (55 min) would blow Martinsburg off the field) and we have Dinwiddie locked up for the next 2 years (2 hour drive). That's good Sherando and Loudoun Valley plays them. Y'all are 30 min-1 hour away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT