ADVERTISEMENT

Contenders VS Pretenders

Nobody is going to schedule them. Why drive 5 hours to play a ball game when you can drive 1-2 hours and play quality opponents. You know how many dominant programs are in an hours drive of Danville and Louisa...Well Louisa is an hour from Richmond and Fredericksburg. We have the Seminole schools, 4 powerhouses in NC plus many other programs ( a team like Reidsville (16 min drive from Danville), Greensboro Dudley (30 min), Page (35 min), West Forsyth (60 min), Durham Hillside (55 min) would blow Martinsburg off the field) and we have Dinwiddie locked up for the next 2 years (2 hour drive). That's good Sherando and Loudoun Valley plays them. Y'all are 30 min-1 hour away.
Guys I love this conversation,respectful and spicey and lots of information.

Idk bro.. Pure talent, you’re absolutely right but from top to bottom. 5 teams could possibly win the Seminole (Argubly 6 teams IMO), 3 teams could win the Capital (HS, Varina, and Henrico), and 3 could win the SE (KF, Smith and DC)..Add N.R. in so 4. Game in and game out, Seminole is must see TV! I believe the Dominion District is better than the Capital this year. Bird, Monacan, Manchester, & James River. It’s deep!

Bird, Monacan, Manchester & James River versus Highland Springs, Henrico, Varina and Lee-Davis? I think right now I like Lee-Davis more than James River but the Rapids might prove me wrong.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
T
Bird, Monacan, Manchester & James River versus Highland Springs, Henrico, Varina and Lee-Davis? I think right now I like Lee-Davis more than James River but the Rapids might prove me wrong.

I am the exact opposite I think I will take JR over LD but not sure on the other 3 in both districts. I suppose I would lean Capital but that would be an amazing "ACC / Big 10 tournament"

I think I would take Manchester over HSHS slightly.
Varina I have to put over Bird based on last years playoff game but Bird was missing a lot of people and it is a whole new season. Monacan and Henrico.... Maybe I would lean Henrico at this point but barley.

In fact, all three of those scenarios would be 51/49 - 49/51 scenarios. Too bad that can't happen. All four of those games could easily go either way in my opinion.

T

I am the exact opposite I think I will take JR over LD but not sure on the other 3 in both districts. I suppose I would lean Capital but that would be an amazing "ACC / Big 10 tournament"

Varina I have to put over Bird based on last years playoff game but Bird was missing a lot of people and it is a whole new season. Monacan and Henrico.... Maybe I would lean Henrico at this point but barley.

In fact, all three of those scenarios would be 51/49 - 49/51 scenarios. Too bad that can't happen. All four of those games could easily go either way in my opinion.
Aye Bro, Varina was missing a few number of pieces too. RJ Coles played limited on a bum ankle and a few others. Varina played A LOT of underclassmen against Bird and Herm. Hopeful they can build off of that this year. I agree though. I’d take James River over LD.

Reactions: mbonape1
T

Varina-Bird you could still get in the playoffs this year.

Manchester-Highland Springs is a possibility next year but obviously the Manchester squad will look completely different in 2019 with so many seniors.

I would have to go Springers over Manchester. I like their defense more than Manchester's but offense the two are about even.

Like you, I like Varina but not by much.

Monacan and Henrico... I'm totally in on Henrico although they could be that team that we invest too much in and disappoints.

I was late to the party, but did Hamspear call GW-Danville's schedule weak. That is the pot calling the kettle black.
Did some research on Sherando's schedule:
Since 04 - 75 of teams wins came against teams with losing record
The average record per year of the schedule is 4.5 wins - 5.5 loss
In the 2 undefeated seasons - the combined records were of opponent's was 5 - 15
Wins against Martinsburg - 1

Since 2005 Sherando is 118-37. A lot of coaches and fans would love to have that record . They have done good things . Lots of teams in all districts have to play teams with losing records . It just the way it is . All teams have required district games , and you try to schedule games outside your district the best you can to improve.

“Schedule Martinsburg”... This is prime time NC Football. Team in the white (Greensboro Dudley) is 30 minutes from Christopher Lane (GW’s drive way) down Highway 29 and the blue team (Durham Hillside) is about 50 min from Christopher Lane down Highway 86. These aren’t even the Richmond County/Scotland County/Mallard Creek/Wake Forest/Charlotte Catholic. Y’all Virginians will see just how good NC Football is when West Forsyth comes up and plays Oscar Smith next month. Oh yeah, I pick Oscar Smith but WF will bring it. Martinsburg though? LOL!!!

Enjoy,

“Schedule Martinsburg”... This is prime time NC Football. Team in the white (Greensboro Dudley) is 30 minutes from Christopher Lane (GW’s drive way) down Highway 29 and the blue team (Durham Hillside) is about 50 min from Christopher Lane down Highway 86. These aren’t even the Richmond County/Scotland County/Mallard Creek/Wake Forest/Charlotte Catholic. Y’all Virginians will see just how good NC Football is when West Forsyth comes up and plays Oscar Smith next month. Oh yeah, I pick Oscar Smith but WF will bring it. Martinsburg though? LOL!!!

Enjoy,

What year was this video from?

What year was this video from?
2016. That’s Herndon Hooker, backup QB for Tech #1 in the white (Dudley). I think Durham Hillside had 8 D1 recruits including a back that plays for Oregon (though I think he changed his commitment the last minute) and Dudley had right around 6 or 7. Dudley won the 4a state championship that year.

I said it last year, Martinsburg is good but Sherando fans elevate them because it helps ease the loss. West Virginia is exceptionally bad overall at football, that's just fact. There is very, very little talent in that state (they used to have a top 5 on Rivals compared to a top 30 for VA or top 50 for PA) and that all the more goes to Martinsburg's benefit since people that can't leave the state but want their kid to get noticed playing football are more likely to get their kids to that school. Hells bells, there's ONE P5 college in that state and they can't even come close to being even 25% WV kids 75% OOS. Most years, WVU gets a whole 1-3 kids from the state and it's not because kids are running OOS, there's just very little talent overall.

One of these days you guys will beat them and then realize they're only mortals and stop this foolishness about Martinsburg being able to hang with any and every team in Virginia and probably how Salem or Dinwiddie would be lucky to be in the game by the end of the first half.

I think the population of West Virginia has a lot to do with that and also, West Virginia University, being a state institution, probably has take a certain percentage of students from it's own state. The population of Virginia is roughly seven times bigger.

2016. That’s Herndon Hooker, backup QB for Tech #1 in the white (Dudley). I think Durham Hillside had 8 D1 recruits including a back that plays for Oregon (though I think he changed his commitment the last minute) and Dudley had right around 6 or 7. Dudley won the 4a state championship that year.
I thought that was Hooker at QB. That’s why I asked.

Enjoy,

Danville,

I enjoy a lot of your posts and think you contribute in a positive way here on preps but I have to tell you Martinsburg is a solid program. I live in the Lynchburg area now and have seen many Seminole games and also GW. I also lived near Martinsburg, WV a few years back. I never like to get caught up in which team will win because on any given day the underdog can always win but if I had to bet money between GW and Martinsburg, well my money is on Martinsburg.

Danville,

I enjoy a lot of your posts and think you contribute in a positive way here on preps but I have to tell you Martinsburg is a solid program. I live in the Lynchburg area now and have seen many Seminole games and also GW. I also lived near Martinsburg, WV a few years back. I never like to get caught up in which team will win because on any given day the underdog can always win but if I had to bet money between GW and Martinsburg, well my money is on Martinsburg.
Thanks for the compliment brother. I respect your opinion and I don’t doubt your Martinsburg beating Danville bet. I’m hopeful that this year can change your prospective on my Danville boys. The past 2 years they haven’t had the defensive unit that is becoming of a good football team/contender. The Danville boys have the horses at the skill positions to go up against anybody, but if it came down to stops here and there, I wouldn’t doubt that Nelson County would score on the defense...Heck Patrick County scored on that defense last year. We’ll see in a few more weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT