ADVERTISEMENT

Cosby vs. Dinwiddie

Central Region Tom

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2001
I'll be updating the game periodically here. For the fastest updates, follow me on Twitter @CRTomGarrett

Pitching matchup today is Ryan Bickford of Cosby vs. Colton Gunn of Dinwiddie.

I predicted that the Deep Run / Cosby winner would advance to the state tournament, but what about the Generals? They're 20-2 and haven't lost a game in weeks. Should be a good one, as Central District POY Gunn tries to slow the Cosby attack!

End of 1st - Cosby escapes

In the bottom of the first, Jamar Hinton singled and Cory Grant walked. Brodie Maitland followed that with another walk, loading the bases. A strikeout, a failure to tag up on a long fly-out, and a ground-out to the right side ended the rally without a run. Huge bullet dodged by Cosby.

After two-and-a-half...

Heart of the Dinwiddie order coming up in the bottom of the third, but still no score as of now.

Three complete

Dinwiddie leaves two on in the third, but Bickford gets out of it again. Titans 0, Generals 0, heading to the fourth.

Cosby on the board

A bunt single by Lowery was the first hit of the day for Cosby, but Hunter Williams quickly followed with another single. Bradley McKay grounded into a fielder's choice that scored Lowery, making it 1-0 Cosby, heading to the bottom of the fourth.

Bickford out of trouble again

Dinwiddie left two on again (8 total for the game), and Ryan Bickford kept the Generals off the board again, maintaining the 1-0 lead for the Titans going to the 5th.

Gunn collides, but gets out of trouble; Cosby pitching change

After colliding with third baseman Jamar Hinton after a Cosby bunt, Colton Gunn toughed it out and worked his way through a two-on situation to keep the score 1-0. Michael Carpenter is now pitching for Cosby.

Bot 5th...

Dinwiddie again had a great chance to score, but couldn't take advantage. Daniel Bridgeman was gunned down by Luke Lowery trying to get to second after a throwing error (Lowery was backing up the play at first), and a subsequent Colton Gunn double went for naught. Michael Carpenter got a strikeout to end the threat. Still 1-0, going to the sixth.

Top 6th

First, the error referenced previously was ruled an infield single.

In the top of the sixth, Colton Gunn impressively struck out the side, and has now struck out nine for the game. He's looked very strong all day. Still 1-0 Cosby, though, going to the bottom of the sixth.

Top 7th

Cosby gets a timely RBI triple by A. J. Nicely, scoring an insurance run to make it 2-0 Titans heading to the bottom of the seventh.

Cosby wins 2-0

In the bottom of the seventh, Jamar Hinton led off with a single, was out at second on a fielder's choice with Corey Grant reaching first. A flyout by Brodie Maitland and a groundout to the right side by Bridgeman (and a nice play by Bryan Miltenberger) punched Cosby's ticket to the state tournament.

I'll have highlights up in 20-30 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT