ADVERTISEMENT

Counties...

Gunz41

VaPreps All Region
Sep 22, 2007
Stuarts Draft VA
Just thinking back on this past season got me thinking.

2 Augusta County teams playing for a championship. Imagine what kind of team could have with a single school like an Amherst, Appomattox, Buckingham, Louisa, South County etc.
There are a couple others that ai would assume are one team per county by the name (Botetourt county, Dinwiddie county, Essex county, Giles county, Goochland county)

Obviously they wouldn't be a 1a or 2a team, but just be interesting.

There are also the city schools who only have one team for that city.

Just from the ones listed, that's a lot of championships.

2 Augusta County teams playing for a championship. Imagine what kind of team could have with a single school like an Amherst, Appomattox, Buckingham, Louisa, South County etc.
There are a couple others that ai would assume are one team per county by the name (Botetourt county, Dinwiddie county, Essex county, Giles county, Goochland county)

I agree but South County is actually a Fairfax County School which has 20+ high schools.

They would be a lot bigger than a Buckingham or Appomattox. Heck Stuarts Draft is bigger than those 2 now. They would be good but not sure about being as good as a Hopewell Lake Taylor Salem or any of those others. Class 4A is where they would be if they combined.

They would be a lot bigger than a Buckingham or Appomattox. Heck Stuarts Draft is bigger than those 2 now. They would be good but not sure about being as good as a Hopewell Lake Taylor Salem or any of those others. Class 4A is where they would be if they combined.

I said they obviously wouldn't be 1a or 2a, so thanks for pointing out what I already said???

And there is actually 5 schools in the county.

It was not to take ANYTHING away from any team, just something to ponder

Haha. I noticed that when I was looking up the other counties but forgot to remove them. But is a very strange name for a school that isn't a county
No doubt! Lorton is at the Prince William line so I see why they call it “South” County lol!

Halifax county is like 5A. The problem with these Big counties like Nelson, Halifax, and others is the school is so far away. Practices and parents picking kids up are a problem. Nelson started doing something that helped there program couple yrs ago was school busses bussing kids to stops in county after practice and during summer workouts. That is smart. Parents would pick them up at these spots. Pitsyvannia county would be a good one too (Gretna, Chatham and i think Dan River)

Gap/Riverheads would be at roughly 930 if they combined completely but if that were to happen, I am guessing most all of the students north of Churchville that attend Gap now would go to Fort which would increase them by say 50-60 students and put the final number for a RAP school at 870. That would be solidly in class 3 in the current configuration or class two if a 4 division system was implemented.

SD/Wilson would be at roughly 1448 combined but again I would think some may get shifted to Fort. Lets say 100 of those students so the number would be closer to 1350 and put STILSON in class 4 in the current system or class 3 if a 4 division system was implemented.

All the shifting around and pushing students to Fort would put their number at 935 which would still have them in class 3 in the current system and in 4 division system as well depending on the break point on divisions.

That would be interesting to have 3 large schools within the county. I don't ever see that occurring since Augusta county is pretty dang large so busing would be a major concern but who knows what the future may hold.

Very interesting indeed....SD has 705 students and RHS has 447 according to the 2018 ADM number so that would put them at 1,152 combined. That would make them a smaller Class 4 school comparable to Amherst, Courtland, Spotsylvania, or Caroline.

Halifax county is like 5A. The problem with these Big counties like Nelson, Halifax, and others is the school is so far away. Practices and parents picking kids up are a problem. Nelson started doing something that helped there program couple yrs ago was school busses bussing kids to stops in county after practice and during summer workouts. That is smart. Parents would pick them up at these spots. Pitsyvannia county would be a good one too (Gretna, Chatham and i think Dan River)

Pittsylvania County has four high schools - Dan River, Chatham, & Gretna (all Class 2) and the largest H.S. - Tunstall. Currently, enrollment is as follows: DR - 704; Chatham - 619; Gretna - 524; and Tunstall - 924 = 2,771 students and making Pittsylvania Co High School a Class 6 school
Gretna and Chatham school zones are larger, but Dan River and Tunstall has denser populations (both surrounding Danville)

There's always been a rumor if they ever combined schools, it would be DR/Tunstall (which would be bordering Class 4-5 - at the old Blairs site or even the first part of 41 where Hughes Home currently sits. Gretna/Chatham enrollment would be like 1,143 and they would be a small Class 4 school (Somewhere near 57 or upper part of 29 in between Chatham and Gretna.

I also looked at Henry County and the city of Martinsville is looking to revert back to Henry County. Here are the numbers for: Martinsville (575), Bassett (1133), and Magna Vista (1054) - maybe consolidated (again) to two schools - Martinsville High and Henry County High with around 1380-1400 at each school

Projected Piedmont District Schools
Dan Valley (DR & Tunstall) - 1,600
Chatham/Gretna - 1,200
GW-Danville (GW and Galileo) - 1,600
Martinsville - 1,200
Henry County - 1,500
Halifax County - 1,485
Rustburg (combined William Campbell) - 1,200?
Brooksville (combined with Altavista - 1,300?)
Mecklenburg County (combined Bluestone/Park View) -

mapExport_54806930b29b4da8b259eb9ebb8455e3.jpg

The city of Martinsville city council voted to start reversion to a town. If and when Henry Co takes over the city school system there is a far better chance of Martinsville High being shut down and the students being split between Magna Vista and Bassett than one of the county schools being closed. Has been talk already about it.

Pittsylvania County has four high schools - Dan River, Chatham, & Gretna (all Class 2) and the largest H.S. - Tunstall. Currently, enrollment is as follows: DR - 704; Chatham - 619; Gretna - 524; and Tunstall - 924 = 2,771 students and making Pittsylvania Co High School a Class 6 school
Gretna and Chatham school zones are larger, but Dan River and Tunstall has denser populations (both surrounding Danville)

There's always been a rumor if they ever combined schools, it would be DR/Tunstall (which would be bordering Class 4-5 - at the old Blairs site or even the first part of 41 where Hughes Home currently sits. Gretna/Chatham enrollment would be like 1,143 and they would be a small Class 4 school (Somewhere near 57 or upper part of 29 in between Chatham and Gretna.

I also looked at Henry County and the city of Martinsville is looking to revert back to Henry County. Here are the numbers for: Martinsville (575), Bassett (1133), and Magna Vista (1054) - maybe consolidated (again) to two schools - Martinsville High and Henry County High with around 1380-1400 at each school

Projected Piedmont District Schools
Dan Valley (DR & Tunstall) - 1,600
Chatham/Gretna - 1,200
GW-Danville (GW and Galileo) - 1,600
Martinsville - 1,200
Henry County - 1,500
Halifax County - 1,485
Rustburg (combined William Campbell) - 1,200?
Brooksville (combined with Altavista - 1,300?)
Mecklenburg County (combined Bluestone/Park View) -

mapExport_54806930b29b4da8b259eb9ebb8455e3.jpg
Very good information, thanks for sharing bro...that pic really brings it to light, I always wondered how they broke that down.

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
The city of Martinsville city council voted to start reversion to a town. If and when Henry Co takes over the city school system there is a far better chance of Martinsville High being shut down and the students being split between Magna Vista and Bassett than one of the county schools being closed. Has been talk already about it.

It would be a shame to lose a well-known high school name like Martinsville. Henry County has had severals schools be consolidated in the last 30 years.You had Drewry Mason and GW Carver combined to form Magna Vista. Then you had Laurel Park go in with Magna Vista, while Fieldale-Collinsville combined with Bassett in 2004. You literally would have the town of Martinsville split based on what part they lived at. My nephew goes to there, but he seems closer to Magna Vista than Bassett.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
It would be a shame to lose a well-known high school name like Martinsville. Henry County has had severals schools be consolidated in the last 30 years.You had Drewry Mason and GW Carver combined to form Magna Vista. Then you had Laurel Park go in with Magna Vista, while Fieldale-Collinsville combined with Bassett in 2004. You literally would have the town of Martinsville split based on what part they lived at. My nephew goes to there, but he seems closer to Magna Vista than Bassett.
Thats the way Heritage and Glass is in lynchburg.

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
I look for the city to annex further out one day and swallow up Brookville even tho there is some agreement in place now to prevent that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT